• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Ruston said:

The CVMR's own Kerr, Stuart Victory is ready for service. Having been bought from a Government service auction after the war, it was despatched to the Hunslet Engine Company for overhaul and a repaint. The nameplates had previously carried by a 'Terrier' that was sold for scrap just before the war.

DSCF9547.JPG.d0f9cfaac44b2d65aada6ecd2b749231.JPG

DSCF9552.JPG.db3e781770dacae4e3b9be01cbae5283.JPG

Superb job as always, Dave.
Love the Chaldron waggon dumb buffers. Class.
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Schooner said:

Watching this one with particular interest. How do you find Tiger's performance?

Rubbish. It's noisy and won't start smoothly at all. The motor can be heard whining and then when it gets enough volts to start moving it takes off rather quickly. I don't know if they're all like this, or if mine is a wrong 'un, but I'm hoping that some running in, and fitting DCC, will improve it.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

They're not the best......perhaps Hornby were banking on people not actually using them. The majority will be "invested" in....some added to various display cases and a relatively small percentage being run and an even smaller percentage expected to run "prototypically". 

Rob

• Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

They're not the best......perhaps Hornby were banking on people not actually using them. The majority will be "invested" in....some added to various display cases and a relatively small percentage being run and an even smaller percentage expected to run "prototypically". 

Rob

Have you got one, Rob? If they are all like that then there's no point in returning it.

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Have you got one, Rob? If they are all like that then there's no point in returning it.

Hi Dave. 

No, it's not really something I'd go for. We had one running at Lord and Butler when they arrived. From your description, I think the one I saw ran marginally better but not in a way that I would accept. Certainly not as well as a good example of their Pecketts. 

Not sure if that helps you. 

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

On the back of the above comments I have just tried out my Tiger that arrived a few days ago.  It ran beautifully straight out of the box.  Quiet motor and drive, and smooth low speed operation in both directions.  Very pleased with it.  

Then I gave it a session on a couple of tortuous test tracks with 10" and 8" radii that i use to test On30 and GN15 short wheelbase models.  The loco and tender handled 10" radius without any issues both forward and reverse.  8" was a bit too tight and the loco derailed.

Same results with the supplied wagons hooked onto the back of the tender. 

The "chains" supplied are fiddly to install, and the only way I could attach them was with tweezers and the help of a magnifier.  The wagons look at bit odd though without any dumb buffers, and the "chains" hold them a long way apart.

Regards,

Trevor

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SirBud said:

Hi Dave,

On the back of the above comments I have just tried out my Tiger that arrived a few days ago.  It ran beautifully straight out of the box.  Quiet motor and drive, and smooth low speed operation in both directions.  Very pleased with it.  

Then I gave it a session on a couple of tortuous test tracks with 10" and 8" radii that i use to test On30 and GN15 short wheelbase models.  The loco and tender handled 10" radius without any issues both forward and reverse.  8" was a bit too tight and the loco derailed.

Same results with the supplied wagons hooked onto the back of the tender. 

The "chains" supplied are fiddly to install, and the only way I could attach them was with tweezers and the help of a magnifier.  The wagons look at bit odd though without any dumb buffers, and the "chains" hold them a long way apart.

Regards,

Trevor

Thanks, Trevor. I will see about returning it for a replacement or refund. I knew it was a bad idea getting a RTR loco online. I usually buy from my local shop, where I can examine and test run them.

• Agree 1