Removing cured casting resin from clothing.

Ooh

I wonder why that might be.

Does anybody know what chemicals can remove dried cured polyurethane casting resin from clothing?.

My wife could add a whole lot more compounds to this list that I have given her to test her skills.

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines

Does anybody know what chemicals can remove dried cured polyurethane casting resin from clothing?.

I would try the solvent methylene chloride ( also known as dichloromethane), this is the main ingredient in old fashioned paint stripper, eg original Nitromors etc.

I know it destroys cured epoxy resin ( eg Arladite) and will probably do the same to polyurethane, so worth a try .

Pete..

I would try the solvent methylene chloride ( also known as dichloromethane), this is the main ingredient in old fashioned paint stripper, eg original Nitromors etc.

I know it destroys cured epoxy resin ( eg Arladite) and will probably do the same to polyurethane, so worth a try .

Pete..

Trouble is it'll almost certainly eat any man made fibre in the fabric too.

With 20 years casting experience I haven't found anything yet!

I have dedicated casting clothes. I wear old shirts and jumpers and jeans that are towards the end of there life, when they eventually have so much resin on them that they have to be cracked to get them into the washer I bin them and find the next oldest.

Sorry if this is no help but anything that will dissolve resin is either highly toxic or will destroy what it is stuck to (usually both of these).

Phil Traxson

Port Wynnstay Moodels  

• Like 1

With 20 years casting experience I haven't found anything yet!

I have dedicated casting clothes. I wear old shirts and jumpers and jeans that are towards the end of there life, when they eventually have so much resin on them that they have to be cracked to get them into the washer I bin them and find the next oldest.

Sorry if this is no help but anything that will dissolve resin is either highly toxic or will destroy what it is stuck to (usually both of these).

Phil Traxson

Port Wynnstay Moodels  

This exactly do what I do. I also have an old lab coat and I also have a set of old shoes just in case I splash on them.

Marc

Furness Railway Wagon Co

The easy way is lighter fuel and a box of matches......cover area with a generous amount of fuel then apply lit match the down side is the garments are not much use when the fire goes out... Only carry out the above outside a.d away from SWMBO..

Hat coat gone Steve

The easy way is lighter fuel and a box of matches......cover area with a generous amount of fuel then apply lit match the down side is the garments are not much use when the fire goes out... Only carry out the above outside a.d away from SWMBO..

Hat coat gone Steve

Obligatory h&s notice:

Warning: do not try this while wearing said garments. 

• RMweb Gold

Worth trying putting the garment in the freezer, if you have room. The frozen resin is likely to become brittle and it may be possible to break it up.

I used to do that with fibreglass resin/car filler etc. years ago, albeit on fairly heavy duty denim.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

I suppose the only solution to get such stains out is a pair of scissors....

I know, not very helpful. I suppose PU based glue or resin is the worst to get rid off. It even stays on your fingers until the top layer of the skin changes....