Cassette vs sector plate fiddle yard

Can I pick the collective brain for some advice?

I’m planning a micro layout and trying to work out the fiddle yard. Basically two tracks from the layout enter the fiddle yard - which as well as storing trains needs to complete the run round loop - ie trains run on to the layout then the loco runs round and disappears into the fiddle yard to return to the other end of the train.

I’ve already discounted my preferred option a traverser as there doesn’t appear to be the space for the lateral movement.

So the choice is a single track sector plate pivoting between the two tracks or using cassettes. It’s N gauge and the maximum length will be only 15inch or so. My woodworking skills are legendary - legendarily bad!!

What’s peoples options of one or the other? I want the simplest way of optimising operation - but would like the choice of more than one train - though not at the same time necessarily. It seems a sector plate would be smoother operation but perhaps limited to only one train without much handling of stock.

Thanks

Can you put your cassettes on the end of the sector plate and have both?

Then for shunting you use the sector plate and if you want to store the train then it passes through the sector plate to a cassette.

If you are only talking 15 inches I expect you will be able to find an extra 15 inches spare

Whilst I've not had firsthand experience of cassettes, they've always struck me as excessively fiddly and likely to be rather unsatisfying if their use forms part of the on-stage operation, like, for instance, part of a runround loop. A sector plate just seems so much more railwaylike (even if it actually isn't).

I am a cassettes fan and used them as you described on Peafore Yard with no problem(link in my signature). The cassettes I made were really simple but reliable, I secured flexi track to plywood base and soldered rail joiners to the ends of the cassettes. I was nicknamed the wood butcher more than once so that tells you all you need to know about my carpentry skills.....

• Like 1