Edinburgh Powderhall - binliner traffic ended

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

A couple of months ago our local refuse compacting plant at Powderhall closed down.  Around the same time the rail traffic between there and the landfill site at Dunbar ended.  Does anyone know when (i.e. date)?  What about the containers; have they transferred to other traffic flows?

(As an aside - does the world hate Dunbar?  Next door are Edinburgh's landfill site, Oxwellmains cement works, and Torness nuclear power station!)

Thanks for any information.

Regards,

Alex.

The rail traffic ceased about two years ago and from what I understand the plant was scheduled to close but there was some sort of damage to the container transfer equipment and the wagons have been sent elsewhere and some have been to Axiom works at Stoke after traffic ceased!

The containers continued to deliver waste by road to the Oxwellmains landfill which is where there is currently a waste incinerator to energy plant nearing construction.

The most recent rail traffic has been from Manchester apparently when there are problems at Widnes.

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

A couple of months ago our local refuse compacting plant at Powderhall closed down.  Around the same time the rail traffic between there and the landfill site at Dunbar ended.  Does anyone know when (i.e. date)?  What about the containers; have they transferred to other traffic flows?

(As an aside - does the world hate Dunbar?  Next door are Edinburgh's landfill site, Oxwellmains cement works, and Torness nuclear power station!)

Thanks for any information.

Regards,

Alex.

But it does have Belhaven brewery.

PJ10

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Thanks for all the responses.  I had no idea that the traffic had stopped so long ago.  The trains are in a cutting so you tended to hear rather than see them.  I've heard trains within the last couple of years so I imagine they were simply removing the containers form the pile.

Again, thanks.

Regards,

Alex.

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone,

As far as I'm aware, the traffic on the Powderhall branch ceased in February 2017, and the compaction plant was shut as the waste is now processed at a new facility at Millerhill. Quite a few people are campaigning for it to become a cycleway and path, but in 2020 a tunnel was built underneath the loop and the rails were reinstated following the cut-and-cover works.

More info is on https://www.railscot.co.uk/companies/E/Easter_Road_Deviation_North_British_Railway/17.html

Happy new year!

Stan