Bachmann Derby Lightweight

Pennine MC

I'm wondering which type of brake end they will model, with one large window or two small. The current photo on their site is the latter, I believe the photo they used for the original announcement had the large window.

Personally, I hope they go for the two small windows as that was what was used in East Anglia but Cumbria modellers will want the other.

Indeed we honorary ScR modellers will too wink.gif

honorary...

I suspect changing the windows could be a simple mod, perhaps Bachmann will allow for this, if not, well I'd be willing to take the Stanley knife to it. Unless there's further differences, which I'll research/think about closer to release time.

I hear a MORI poll today puts Bachmann's Lightweight 12 points ahead of Jamie's Met-Camm rebuild in the race to hit Culreoch metals. <_<

Guest Max Stafford

Personally, I hope they go for the two small windows as that was what was used in East Anglia but Cumbria modellers will want the other.

East Anglian modellers. Cumbrian modellers.

But which is better?

There's only one way to find out...

;)

Dave.

Good news on the green livery change. Full yellow ends was an odd choice for green as there were very few lightweights in that livery - I only know of one colour photo.

The two-small-windows variant was the more common but the preserved example has the single large window arrangement.

By the way, they still have two other livery variants to do, if not more: original dark green with pre-1956 emblem and no speed whiskers, and blue with small yellow panels, plus the variants on the size of yellow panel on the latter livery. And, at least two variants of blue with full yellow ends as well, as there was a yellow cab doors variant as well as the standard one.

• 2 weeks later...

Note to Somerset & Dorset fans: an 8-car set of Derby Lightweights worked a Whit Sunday excursion from Birmingham to Bournemouth via the S&D on 25 May 1958. Plate 160 in the Ivo Peters book The Somerset and Dorset in the Fifties Vol 2 shows it near Midford.

Archived