RMweb

Lamps & Lamp Irons

chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

What would be the correct way to mount lamps to lamp irons

Two (rough) sketches below

A or B or either?

I assumed it was 'A' but its always worth checking with those more knowledgeable than I

post-34603-0-62844700-1534944321_thumb.jpg

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

Technically, and if the position of the lamp iron allows the 'outside'. (i.e. Class A/Class 1) position lamps should be above the buffer as that was the position described for them.  The lamps in my experience tended to sit better if placed on the side of the lamp iron you show in sketch B as they were less likely to suffer vibration damage that way especially if they were a little less than firm on the lamp bracket.

BUT in reality they tended to get put where they were put ;)

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Technically, and if the position of the lamp iron allows the 'outside'. (i.e. Class A/Class 1) position lamps should be above the buffer as that was the position described for them.  The lamps in my experience tended to sit better if placed on the side of the lamp iron you show in sketch B as they were less likely to suffer vibration damage that way especially if they were a little less than firm on the lamp bracket.

BUT in reality they tended to get put where they were put ;)

Thank you for your help

• RMweb Gold

A quick perusal of "Working Steam - Collett Granges & Manors" showing BR Western Region trains in the 1950's - 60's reveal that headlamps were placed in either position - left or right, relative to the lamp irons.

I am not certain if there was a former GWR directive (pre 1948) with regards to this.

• RMweb Gold

A quick perusal of "Working Steam - Collett Granges & Manors" showing BR Western Region trains in the 1950's - 60's reveal that headlamps were placed in either position - left or right, relative to the lamp irons.

I am not certain if there was a former GWR directive (pre 1948) with regards to this.

The GWR and other Railways simply said which lamp iron was to be used, normally for headlamp codes, used a diagrammatic picture to show the lamp positions.

• RMweb Gold

Possibly worth pointing out that most railways had the lampiron so that the lamp was attached at the back.

It was really only the GWR and Western Region that had the attachments on the sides of the lamps.

Jason

Thanks Jason

I should have mentioned it was regarding GWR locos

Chris

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

My system on Cwmdimbath uses staples orientated the GW way round with Modelu and drilled Springside lamps.  The Modelus will fit over the staples the 'wrong way' round, and I have drilled the Springsides towards the back in a very un-GW way; not scale but I am happy enough with the results.  Side lamps on brake vans are side mounted of course, and reversible.

Just to be very picky, looking through my modest selection of GW locomotive photos, it would seem that the vast majority had the irons arranged thus:

post-189-0-39586800-1535039524_thumb.jpg

although there were some exceptions, and the precise location seems to depend upon a number of factors, especially with the locos with the two-wheel pony truck, whose (smokebox?) stays made things slightly awkward. Placing the lamps as shown would result in them being directly over the buffers and the centre line, but this was an ideal arrangement and there are plenty of variations, as others have suggested, but the subtle differences wouldn't affect the code displayed, although that wouldn't be the case on those lines, such as the GNR and Midland, that occasionally made use of pairs of irons at low level.

It is noticeable, and perhaps significant, that the standard lamp iron bracket that was used above the smokebox door, and on the rear of tenders and tank locos only appears to have been handed one way:

post-189-0-55779100-1535039942.jpg

(apologies for crudeness of the sketch) the lamp would have to be placed on the right of the vertical iron, so that it would be supported by the bracket, and not left dangling in space.

• RMweb Premium

What would be the correct way to mount lamps to lamp irons

Two (rough) sketches below

A or B or either?

I assumed it was 'A' but its always worth checking with those more knowledgeable than I

I am assuming that you are referring to GWR and BR(WR) practice.

The others of the Big 4 and their successors put the lamp iron behind the lamp.

Regards,

John Isherwood.