Stripping down a Hornby BSO

• RMweb Gold

I recently acquired a BSO which I now want to weather and add passengers. I cannot work out how the coach comes apart; it looks like there are clips holding the body to the underframe which I am reluctant to interfere with in complete ignorance. Can anyone please explain the process for stripping down a Hornby coach? 

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps I should have been clearer, when I say 'stripping down' I mean how does the coach come apart. I want to detach the chassis from the main body and, assuming they are separate parts, the roof from the bodysides. 

All counsel gratefully received  

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps I should have been clearer, when I say 'stripping down' I mean how does the coach come apart. I want to detach the chassis from the main body and, assuming they are separate parts, the roof from the bodysides. 

All counsel gratefully received

I have no idea what sort of coach it is, because you haven’t told us. Hornby have made rather a lot of coaches over the years. Saying it’s a BSO does tell me it isn’t a Maunsell, because they don’t make any. Apart from that, we know very little.

• RMweb Gold

In that case yes, just insert a tiny screwdriver behind the clip and ease it away. You should find the chassis lifts at that corner, ditto three others and the chassis just lifts away. The clip is actually part of the glazing. 

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

On mine, there was also some glue between the bottom of the side and the top of the sole bar around the middle of the coach which needed breaking (which wasn't difficult).  Initially I thought it had just oozed out from behind the glazing during assembly, but on re-assembling the coach I wondered whether it had been put there deliberately as the whole thing seems a bit 'tight' in that area and the sole bar was reluctant to stay behind the side at that point.  Also, be careful of the long steps beneath the guard's door, which are quite vulnerable.  I know this because ....

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

In fact this seems to be the method of construction on all modern Hornby coaches, it applies to their Maunsells, Hawksworths and Pullman stock as well.

Once you've got the chassis and body separate, it's easy to then take the bogies off if you wish.

John.

...also the Gresley, Thompson and LMS compartment stock. For those with delicate footboards on the bogies I use a screwdriver to remove the bogies before attempting to separate the body from underframe.

• RMweb Gold

I also removed the bogies before releasing the body shell using a pen knife. They come away easily and clip back to the frame when required. My BSO is now largely complete, seen below with roof, frame and bogies all weathered and coach renumbered. This will now go into service on my west highland line layout.

post-24755-0-41946100-1535295775_thumb.jpeg

post-24755-0-23077100-1535295788_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4