TTS towns

Ouroborus

It seems that tts chips are fairly popular and people like the cheap sounds. I know Hornby are bringing out a TTS wagon, but I wonder if there is any merit in bringing out a whole range of sound chips for 'scenes'. Stations, towns, schools, fields, cities. The limit is only your imagination. Instead of the chip being on the loco or wagon, it's in the building, or field, or Depot or wherever you want. Set the CV, two wires to the track and off you go

It seems that tts chips are fairly popular and people like the cheap sounds. I know Hornby are bringing out a TTS wagon, but I wonder if there is any merit in bringing out a whole range of sound chips for 'scenes'. Stations, towns, schools, fields, cities. The limit is only your imagination. Instead of the chip being on the loco or wagon, it's in the building, or field, or Depot or wherever you want. Set the CV, two wires to the track and off you go

The launch TTS Ventilated Van ambient sound product will apparently have five general sound areas, - workshop, station platform, station sidings, countryside and signal box, with a variety of sounds one would hear in these areas, e.g. workshop noises like hammering, grinding, etc, train arrival/departure announcements, track noises like passing wagons, couplings, etc, coach doors slamming, whistles,blowing, birds, animals, stables, various signal box noises, levers pulled, bells dinging, etc.

Some sounds will be play through once, some looped while on and some looped while on but with random elements and several sounds will be able to be played together regardless of group or type.

I am led to believe that although installed to a wagon the chassis will have a pair of terminals that can be soldered to a bus for a fixed installation. Several such wagons could be laid up around a layout playing a range of sounds as applicable to that corner of the layout. I can see mine being hidden in those little sheds provided for point motors.

As it is a ‘mobile’ decoder it will lend itself to being ‘played’ as a programmed series of events in Hornby’s Railmaster software. This will allow the operator to control trains whilst the Vent Van takes care of itself on a timer.

It would definitely make sense for Hornby to then produce the product in several themes e.g. steam era, diesel era, early century noises, modern day noises, etc the list is endless and the combination of sounds is as stated limited by your imagination. It would make sense if they were also marketed as a retro kit like the loco TTS decoders for mounting in your own hidey holes.

Rob

Edited by RAFHAAA96

The Hornby price for the TTS van is in the same region as that for locomotive TTS decoder packs, the cheapest current preorder price for a TTS van from online retailers is about £30.  At that level, if sounds are wanted for effects around a layout, you may as well buy a van or two and extract the gubbins rather than wait for a possible separate packaging of the TTS decoder.

And you'd still have the van to run on the layout!

The Hornby price for the TTS van is in the same region as that for locomotive TTS decoder packs, the cheapest current preorder price for a TTS van from online retailers is about £30.  At that level, if sounds are wanted for effects around a layout, you may as well buy a van or two and extract the gubbins rather than wait for a possible separate packaging of the TTS decoder.

And you'd still have the van to run on the layout!

This is far too clever  and logical .Go away.