That is superb, Tom.

At the risk of being a bit dull, have you already described the weathering methods anywhere else, please?

Cheers Tim

I've written bits and pieces, but happy to describe my method.

I use enamels generally, but the method I'm sure works as well with acrylics. 

I either start with the under frame or body. The under frame is either painted by hand or airbrush with a mucky mix (any dark browns mixed with blacks will do) with a hint of gunmetal metal cote. The body is done similar, but I then remove most of the paint with thinners, I sometimes do this several times building up a nice amount of crud in nooks and crannies. I return to the under frame and give it some detail work with powders, to help give a bit of texture, I do similar with the roofs, initially painting then brushing powders across.

In the case of the presflo I did quite a bit of dry brushing of a mucky white, along with Mig 'Concrete' powder. I'm really pleased with how it came out on this one. The majority of the presflos on the branch in this time or brand new with short hand brakes and duel Vac Cylinders, and going off photos aren't too filthy with cement discharge, so they wont be quite as heavy as this one.

Edited by 9793

A little update about the 'future' plans.

Geoff Taylor has turned my scribbles into something presentable, and this is roughly how Capel Celyn will look, working as a nice scenic way of bringing the layout around towards Bala.

post-24300-0-14906600-1541179977_thumb.png

Edited by 9793
  • Like 6

So far, so good. Is there a distinction in the scenery for this section?

Well Capel Celyn is gradually dropping down towards Bala, so it's less bleak than Cwm Prysor.

More generally, is there a passing loop in the overall design? Or maybe you don't need one?

The passing loop would have been at Arenig, which is between Capel Celyn and Cwm Prysor. I would have loved to model it, but I don't have the space to fit it in a 20ft by 12ft shed and do Bala as well. It was one or the other, so I chose Bala as it would allow more traffic to work in  (such as a 43XX Mogul and a Manor). 

• Like 4

Afternoon guys.

I have been busy on the modelling front, photos in due course (adding filler around the crossing plus working on a high fit).

In the meantime here is a mock up kindly done by Geoff Taylor showing how Capel Celyn will link into Bala. 2.6feet minimum radii. Tighter than I would have liked but they are essentially scenically hidden or off scene. Fiddle yard down the centre of the shed should work though to allow longer goods trains into Bala (plus a 43xx Mogul and a Manor).

post-24300-0-61387900-1541427038.jpeg

Capel Celyn is the priority of course, but seeing and knowing how Bala would fit in is just as important at this stage.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

2.6' radius is probably ok, but you will need to pay close attention to distances between buffer heads and between drawhooks to avoid lock buffering.  Some gentle springing in the buffers, a thing most modern RTR that employs it gets about right, will be a big help here.

But that's a bl**dy impressive set up you're going to have there, and given the exceptional standard of the stuff you've already done, this is going to be a seminal railway!  

2.6' radius is probably ok, but you will need to pay close attention to distances between buffer heads and between drawhooks to avoid lock buffering.  Some gentle springing in the buffers, a thing most modern RTR that employs it gets about right, will be a big help here.

Thanks TJ

As it happens I checked my stock on the table at the weekend with some Peco and a 30inch tracksetta. The coaches could just manage it ( I can increase coupling length if need be but it seemed fine), but wagons were absolutely fine. All is good.

post-24300-0-82600000-1541431589_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

Tom, the quality of your workmanship always amazes me, how your models feel realer than real life is brilliant.

I hope you don't mind but I chucked one of your pics into an app to see what it would look like as a bit of old film.

attachicon.gifWerble-15D6FAF6FF.gif

That's a lovely effect! I just need to crack on with grassing (I know I keep saying it, but I'm distracted with rolling stock currently!)

• Like 3

I just need to crack on with grassing (I know I keep saying it

r

Yes please Tom I think I'm not the only one waiting.

Ha! I suppose it's a bit of apprehension on my part. I have been working on the layout though. The Crossing now looks like a crossing, and once the surface texture is sorted, I'm going to make a start on the dry stone walling....and yes I'm using individual stones.... I have to wonder about my sanity!

I did wonder if there was some displacement activity going on, I know the feeling. In the end I found that the only way round it is to start, and then one wonders why one put it off for so long. It will be good Tom, all your modelling is. I just can't wait to see the end result.

I did wonder if there was some displacement activity going on, I know the feeling. In the end I found that the only way round it is to start, and then one wonders why one put it off for so long. It will be good Tom, all your modelling is. I just can't wait to see the end result.

Well in fairness, the drystone walling and road are something I do need to do before I start work on the grassing. I'm not far off having everything in place now. No rush really though, as I wont be picking up the station building until York Show in April.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Tom, the quality of your workmanship always amazes me, how your models feel realer than real life is brilliant.

I hope you don't mind but I chucked one of your pics into an app to see what it would look like as a bit of old film.

attachicon.gifWerble-15D6FAF6FF.gif

Corbs, you are one clever old chappie!

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday evening I had an enjoyable session operating part of the layout. I'm also enjoying changing wagons around in the fiddle yard. I've decided one side will be 'Blaenau' and the other 'Trawsfynydd' and I'll take out individual wagons, so return works look that bit different.....just a little way to (in my mind) make it feel more real.

So here is a photo from last night. Here is 5742 with the 9.48am Bala-Blaenau pick up goods, known on the railway as the 'Pengwern Goods'. This had originated at Ruabon at 5.55am before being shunted for an hour at Bala. It is seen passing through Cwm Prysor at roughly 11.15am. You will notice the tanker towards the rear of the train, destined for the Vanwill Oil Depot at Festiniog (unweathered at this point, but something I intend to amend this week).

attachicon.gifDSC04433.jpg

People often praise my scenic work so I guess I'm suitably qualified to comment and this is simply stunning Tom. What's interesting here is, that to me, I have no idea whether it's right or wrong, but I would automatically assume that it is, and that to me, shows the signs of great skills. With no disrespect to anyone else, I like things that are done correctly, and as with a Nod to Brent, and Little Muddle, I can imagine myself being there, stood next to that train, as clear as daylight  :good:  :good:  :good:

People often praise my scenic work so I guess I'm suitably qualified to comment and this is simply stunning Tom. What's interesting here is, that to me, I have no idea whether it's right or wrong, but I would automatically assume that it is, and that to me, shows the signs of great skills. With no disrespect to anyone else, I like things that are done correctly, and as with a Nod to Brent, and Little Muddle, I can imagine myself being there, stood next to that train, as clear as daylight  :good:  :good:  :good:

That is very kind of you scoobyra! I like to think I'm slowly getting there!

Geoff Taylor sent me the final plan for now of the extension to Bala, and I'm really pleased. I'm even going to be able to model both the passenger and goods lines heading out towards Bala Junction. 

Cape Celyn extension boards are in the process of being ordered form Tim Horn and I'd like to hope they may be in situ early spring next year.

So in the meantime, here is a photo of Bala Town Station in 1962, a year after the branch to Blaenau closed. Bala Town was kept open a further 3 years until the closure of Ruabon-Barmouth Branch in 1965. (Copyright Ben Brooksbank)

post-24300-0-49761000-1541528577.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Ha! I suppose it's a bit of apprehension on my part. I have been working on the layout though. The Crossing now looks like a crossing, and once the surface texture is sorted, I'm going to make a start on the dry stone walling....and yes I'm using individual stones.... I have to wonder about my sanity!

It took a while looking at the great expanse of hillside on The Depots before I plucked up the courage, this was the largest area of static grass that I'd done but once I'd got started it was done in no time and adding other textures after I'm really pleased with it. The biggest worry was getting the right mix of colours and lengths of fibres, short and medium 'spring' and 'summer' and a few longer 'straw' fibres (from Greenscene, they don't have the full rainbow of colours that some makes have!) I think I've ended up with the mid spring moorland grass I was hoping for.

Anyway, keep up the good work and the extension plans look good.

It took a while looking at the great expanse of hillside on The Depots before I plucked up the courage, this was the largest area of static grass that I'd done but once I'd got started it was done in no time and adding other textures after I'm really pleased with it. The biggest worry was getting the right mix of colours and lengths of fibres, short and medium 'spring' and 'summer' and a few longer 'straw' fibres (from Greenscene, they don't have the full rainbow of colours that some makes have!) I think I've ended up with the mid spring moorland grass I was hoping for.

Cheers Paul!

Yeah I think you are right regarding the mix of fibres. I've a whole pack of different grass fibres (guided by the Gordon Gravatt book from Wild Swan). I think using a variety of different fibres, colours and lengths will help give the desired effect.

Anyway, keep up the good work and the extension plans look good.

That is high praise indeed from a North Eastern modeller! ;)

• RMweb Gold

That is very kind of you scoobyra! I like to think I'm slowly getting there!

Geoff Taylor sent me the final plan for now of the extension to Bala, and I'm really pleased. I'm even going to be able to model both the passenger and goods lines heading out towards Bala Junction. 

Cape Celyn extension boards are in the process of being ordered form Tim Horn and I'd like to hope they may be in situ early spring next year.

So in the meantime, here is a photo of Bala Town Station in 1962, a year after the branch to Blaenau closed. Bala Town was kept open a further 3 years until the closure of Ruabon-Barmouth Branch in 1965. (Copyright Ben Brooksbank)

attachicon.gifBala_Station_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1745327.jpg

I've looked at the modern day view from the very road bridge that was taken from!!

I've looked at the modern day view from the very road bridge that was taken from!!

The site is a trading estate now isn't it, I'm sure I've seen a home signal on the site? (I presume it's not original).

I think what I'm looking forward to most though, is the idea of having a group of friends come round and we can operate the layout. Bala really ups things regarding operation as there are a number of services that terminate at Bala, as well as the through traffic for the branch.

Here is Geoff's latest plan for the layout. I'm really pleased with the Bala Junction/Ruabon/Barmouth fiddle yard as it gives me storage up to 7 feet! I can finally recreate a large goods train passing over the River Dee hauled by a 43XX or a Mogul on route to Bala to be shunted and onwards up the Branch. Plus the two tracks work well out of Bala, as one was a Passenger Line and the other the Goods Line.

post-24300-0-80856900-1541574232_thumb.png

I've a lovely photo of a 63XX 6311 coming off the Branch from Bala into Bala Junction with a goods train from Barmouth. It has picked up wagons from Bala, but most interestingly is the number of 16T mineral wagons in the train. There must be a good 25 or so at the rear of the train. Presumably they include the Bala empties, along with those it will have picked up along the way from Barmouth.

Also interesting is the three Oil Tankers, which will have originated from the Oil Refinery at Dolgellau, as depicted here on Geoff's layout.

post-24300-0-18701900-1541574266_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

The site is a trading estate now isn't it, I'm sure I've seen a home signal on the site? (I presume it's not original).

I'm not sure if the signal is original and yes, there's an industrial estate there but again, I'm not sure if it's on the site of the station, or the sidings. It's quite odd as the track bed doesn't seem to have a bridge over it so I assumed that it was removed. The fire station is sat on what looks like the track bed too and unless you're a railway nutter, you'd never even realise there used to be a railway there at all.

Have a look at this photo taken by John Evans in 1966 and you'll understand what I mean - https://www.flickr.com/photos/the-evanses/8415072822

Edited by scoobyra

This photo from 2015  claims to have been taken from the road bridge: https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4656045

& the same point as Ben Brookbank's classic 1962 photo: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1745327

Martin