• RMweb Gold

Another take on a High Level/Hattons hybrid, and the mods required to do it, is over on the Scalefour forum. Nothing to do with me, but thought it may be of interest here:

https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6127

I had a look at that account the other day and it is a very interesting take on the job. I might well have done the same with 1458, had I not opted for a certain route initially, which subsequently rendered the dismantling of the main body components rather more difficult.

It may well be necessary when I come to do 1420, though.

David, on the Scalefour thread, had already built his High Level chassis before deciding to put it under the Hattons/DJM body, which resulted in one or two different challenges, compared with what I have done.

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Premium

I had a look at that account the other day and it is a very interesting take on the job. I might well have done the same with 1458, had I not opted for a certain route initially, which subsequently rendered the dismantling of the main body components rather more difficult.

I was going to ask you if you would take a different approach if you were to do another conversion!

• RMweb Gold

Nice to know I am not alone in making indecipherable posts... ;)

You are never alone when you are amongst friends, Simon.

Speaking of 14/58XX

Here is 5810 departing Cwm Prysor.... so far I'm happy with it's running!

That is very impressive, Tom, certainly for a Hattons/DJM example. If only my first one had run like that!

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

You are never alone when you are amongst friends, Simon.

Must try harder to offend more people, then, Tim...

That is very impressive, Tom, certainly for a Hattons/DJM example. If only my first one had run like that!

Why haven’t people returned these to the manufacturer? Why haven’t they complained to Trading Standards?

You can expect a model railway locomotive to work and work reliably for several years with only moderate maintenance. If the mechanism fails within a few years, then regardless of cosmetic work that may have taken place on the body, then you have a Statutory Right of redress. At the least, a new mechanism should be supplied to replace the one at fault. The responses of, “Ah, you’ve modified it [the body],” or, “It’s out of warranty” are irrelevant. For something like a TV, you can expect between 3 and 6 years of reasonable use (don’t buy an extended warranty as you are covered by the Sale of Goods Act*). For a model railway loco, a similar period is not unreasonable: indeed, I have a couple of old Triang-Hornby models which date from the late 60s and they work fine.

*From personal experience, quoting this will flummox the sales guy and upset the branch manager, as the TV manufacturer won’t accept returns from him more than 6 months after the sale so it hits his bottom line, but that’s his problem, not yours.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Must try harder to offend more people, then, Tim...

Why haven’t people returned these to the manufacturer? Why haven’t they complained to Trading Standards?

You can expect a model railway locomotive to work and work reliably for several years with only moderate maintenance. If the mechanism fails within a few years, then regardless of cosmetic work that may have taken place on the body, then you have a Statutory Right of redress. At the least, a new mechanism should be supplied to replace the one at fault. The responses of, “Ah, you’ve modified it [the body],” or, “It’s out of warranty” are irrelevant. For something like a TV, you can expect between 3 and 6 years of reasonable use (don’t buy an extended warranty as you are covered by the Sale of Goods Act*). For a model railway loco, a similar period is not unreasonable: indeed, I have a couple of old Triang-Hornby models which date from the late 60s and they work fine.

*From personal experience, quoting this will flummox the sales guy and upset the branch manager, as the TV manufacturer won’t accept returns from him more than 6 months after the sale so it hits his bottom line, but that’s his problem, not yours.

I expect a model railway locomotive mechanism to work for longer than I am functional, and finally succumb to chassis wear in about 50 years of normal use.  Anything else that goes wrong during that time should be repairable or replaceable.  I had an Airfix large prairie that died on me earlier this year, it was 40 years old, running perfectly, but eventually plastic fatigue in the slide bars killed it, arguably not a mechanism issue and previously repaired with superglue.  I regard this as fair enough.  

Currently having problems with a Bachmann 56xx mech where the power supply leads from the pickup plate to the motor have become disconnected and are an awkward solder job, but this was caused by my own hamfistedness, and was not the fault of the manufacturer.

Edited by The Johnster

Derek and Martin have just informed me that 330 copies have already sold (more than 20% of the print run)...thats before it's debut at Warley tomorrow!

Worthy companion to the Ruabon-Barmouth book. :)

post-24300-0-20431800-1543000317_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

My copy arrived yesterday. New sofa arriving this afternoon. I know what I will be doing this evening.

EDIT : One of the cats has taken it over. 

post-15-0-15237100-1543166965_thumb.jpg

Edited by JZ
  • Like 1

Some more layout work this afternoon.

I've pretty much finished surfacing the road over the crossing. I'm just holding off doing the base area around the house for the moment. I need to do some touching in with the ballast to blend the ash and fine ballast together.

Next stage will be to begin build the dry stone walls, but that will have to wait until the Crossing Keeper gates are finished.

post-24300-0-63612000-1543072952_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-13846600-1543072943_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Tom,

for those of us who are interested could you explain to us how you have created the finish on this crossing please?

Khris

No problem Khris!

I painted the surface thickly with Humbrol Gloss No 40. While wet I sieved chinchilla dust (just a patchy covering) over the the paint. I then gave a full covering of house hold ash (I have a coal fire). Use of fingers to pat down in places, before using my oxford rail landcover to make some convincing tyre marks in the surface.

The crossing itself uses scale timber sleepers (not thin one as used for track work) provided by Tim Horn for my snow defences. The middles of the crossing was filled in with DAS clay then treated with paint and ash.

I'm now working on the sleepers that made up the cabling for the ground frame (photos to follow shortly).

Edited by 9793
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Excellent.

I have ordered mine from He Who Shall Not Be Named, in Larkhall, Bath, but I suspect another phone call will be required to jog that person's memory and remind him of my credit card details.

Must try harder to offend more people, then, Tim

Good luck with your Social Policy then, Simon!