Very evocative. What's the tree species?

Scots Pine Russ. They appear to have been planted about every 1/4 of a mile along the branch track bed, I presume by the GWR. A marker for the branch in bad weather?

Now that is ingenious!

It's just a guess, but it would somewhat make sense. I did read about Scotch Pines being used by the GWR at stations, but these are certainly located in an extremely remote part of the branch.

It's just a guess, but it would somewhat make sense. I did read about Scotch Pines being used by the GWR at stations, but these are certainly located in an extremely remote part of the branch.

As you wrote in Post #777, they're Scots Pines Tom. Scotch, on the other hand, is the rather good drink.

Mind you, that didn't prevent the old companies running trains called the Scotch Express' by the employees, and famously in one case on the S&C, wrecking it, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawes_Junction_rail_crash.

Edited by Leander

• RMweb Gold

Scotch pines, as they were usually called at least in written form in those days, are a well established feature of the Welsh countryside, and they date from the cattle drives of the 18th and early 19th century; cattle driven to market on the hoof and in many ways the precursor of the great Wild West drives.  The drovers were a tough bunch, using the ancient mountain trackways to avoid tolls, and Scotch Pines were a very prominent marker in the landscape as no other indigenous tree looked like them and they can be seen from a considerable distance if you're on high ground.  They denoted farms that were equipped to accommodate the drive overnight, fodder and water for the beasts, and food and beer for the men.

It may be that the ones on the Bala-Blaenau branch are seeded from these rather than being deliberately planted, although they do provide a bit of shelter in some for some of the bleaker spots, and I am happy to be corrected on the matter!  Railway lines are known to be corridors for plant seeds; an ex-squeeze who went to horticultural college reckons that Buddlea is known in the trade as the British Rail plant because of the way the seeds attach themselves to passing trains and spread along cuttings and embankments.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A lovely afternoon has been spent with Martin Williams, co-author of ‘the Bala Branch’ and former signal man John Roberts. Martin was keen to show us his newly acquired item.....he had teased me that it would inspire me to get to Bala on the layout. Yep it’s the original with original paint work too.

John and Martin stand proudly with this lasting reminder of the Bala Branch!

attachicon.gif1B383293-A5F1-410F-8830-9D57DA81CF5C.jpeg

That photo has resurrected a question in my mind.

A long time ago I downloaded the "GWR Nameboards" font from the GWR e-list, which is excellent for station nameboards and the like. However, the signal box nameboard as shown above seems to use a condensed version of that font, or one very similar. Does anyone know whether this is available anywhere as a TrueType font for download?

Sorry for hijacking the thread Tom.

Pines were present at several of the stations on the Taunton-Barnstaple line. I have always assumed that they were landscape markers - being just a short line of trees parallel to the station - but have never read anything to confirm that this was the case. So it is interesting to know that there was an earlier practice for doing this sort of thing, which might have been borrowed when the railways were built.

• RMweb Premium

We then headed up to Cwm Prysor, so Lass could have a run on the track bed. The ground was rock hard with frost apparent (at only 3.15pm!) It was stunning this evening! A reminder of why I fell in love with this place all those years ago, when I looked out of the car window and saw the trackbed and thought 'what a place for a railway!'

Tom, you have just reinforced our new year resolution to take the dogs up there and enjoy this very spot, just like yourself. About as near to 'unspoiled' as the average man can get these days. Lovely photos.

Edited by TrevorP1

Back in North Wales after a visit/operating session down in Mid Wales on Geoff Taylor’s Penmaenpool and Barmouth Junction. A lovely way to spend a winters day with a great bunch of people! It was operating Geoff’s that ultimately made me realise I didn’t want to exhibit a layout. I’d much prefer to have a group of friends round an enjoy the operating and social aspect of it!

Thanks Geoff....oh and thanks for my apparently new nickname ‘tommy two sheds’ on the back of my consideration to have an adjoining second shed and model Trawsfynydd, I really should learn to keep my mouth shut!!

post-24300-0-50581800-1544899608_thumb.jpeg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

first time posting in this thread, what a fantastic layout

i went to high school in Bala and i remember a new girl starting, elise gibbons (why i remember that i dont know) but she moved from hackney in london to the old crossing house near arenig quarry and cwm prysor which at the time (late 80s-early 90s) had no running water or electricity, that must have been a culture shock for her!

https://goo.gl/maps/ESK5oFZPew52

i also use dto help out on the bala lake railway with my dad and one of the old boys there "bob" used to be signaller at arenig quarry, an absolute gent of a man, everything was "champion" he must have been 80 back in the early 90s, sadly no longer with us but had some wonderful tales of his time in the box and working the traws branch  

Edited by big jim
  • Like 6

first time posting in this thread, what a fantastic layout

i went to high school in Bala and i remember a new girl starting, elise gibbons (why i remember that i dont know) but she moved from hackney in london to the old crossing house near arenig quarry and cwm prysor which at the time (late 80s-early 90s) had no running water or electricity, that must have been a culture shock for her!

https://goo.gl/maps/ESK5oFZPew52

i also use dto help out on the bala lake railway with my dad and one of the old boys there "bob" used to be signaller at arenig quarry, an absolute gent of a man, everything was "champion" he must have been 80 back in the early 90s, sadly no longer with us but had some wonderful tales of his time in the box and working the traws branch  

Thangs for the kind comments Big Jim!

Ha! Wel..... that old crossing house, is the Cwm Prysor crossing house!! And will be a focal point of the layout when it's completed (I pick it up at York Show).

As for Bob, I'll ask John about him when I next see him!

It's completely wild tonight in Trawsfynydd! (I nipped over to Porthmadog this evening) and then decided to take Lass up to Cwm Prysor for a quick walk so she could do her business before bed!.... you'd think I'd know better modelling the area....because of course I realised quickly that with even with my torch on my phone....it's pitch black up there and secondly the wind and rain are strong, it's enough to knock you off your feet! 

This is one hell of a storm, but we are nice and warm back at our digs now for the evening!

Edited by 9793
  • Like 4

Big Jim, I popped in to see John on my way home this morning. I mentioned Bob....yes John knew him well, Bob Davies! He commented they had both worked Ruabon boxes together (one on North the other on South).

After a lovely weekend, things feel a bit flat.....maybe go as far as to say I've felt a bit down. Operating Geoff's Barmouth Junction has made me realise how much having friends around and operating as a team is my major aim with Cwm Prysor, Capel Celyn and Bala (maybe Trawsfynydd if finances allow one day). 

It brought it home a bit last night operating the layout on my own. Thought about Dad, thought about the relationship last Oct-Dec that didn't  work out..... made me realise how important the hobby is to my sanity, and well being. 

Tonight I'm going to crack on with adding Archers rivets to the Bala AA3 Toad. It's one that I've neglected for some time while more glamours panniers have taken precedence. January is when I officially begin weathering commissions, so now I've finished work for Christmas..... I want to get as much as my own stuff finished. I've also ordered some bespoke transfers from railtec to do three more Hornby Toads.

Edited by 9793

• RMweb Premium

Ah, so true, Tom.

When I lived in the UK I was part of a group of 10 or so who operated a huge multi-layer American layout once a week, folk who had mostly known each other for some time.  When we moved here 16 years ago of course I lost that, and there isn't a group here anything like - not even an official club. I do so miss that companionship, although we have enthusiast friends, even one with a layout (but not an 'operating' layout), it is just not the same.  I am sure you will build a group in time, Cwm Prysor is a great draw, it enthrals me.  Hang on, I'm on the ferry.....

• Like 3

After a lovely weekend, things feel a bit flat.....maybe go as far as to say I've felt a bit down. Operating Geoff's Barmouth Junction has made me realise how much having friends around and operating as a team is my major aim with Cwm Prysor, Capel Celyn and Bala (maybe Trawsfynydd if finances allow one day). 

It brought it home a bit last night operating the layout on my own. Thought about Dad, thought about the relationship last Oct-Dec that didn't  work out..... made me realise how important the hobby is to my sanity, and well being. 

Tonight I'm going to crack on with adding Archers rivets to the Bala AA3 Toad. It's one that I've neglected for some time while more glamours panniers have taken precedence. January is when I officially begin weathering commissions, so now I've finished work for Christmas..... I want to get as much as my own stuff finished. I've also ordered some bespoke transfers from railtec to do three more Hornby Toads.

Hi Tom, would you tell me where you get the Archer rivet transfers from, please? And what size do you use? Happy Christmas, Dai Davies

• RMweb Gold

Relationships are important, and I'm sure you'll find the right one sooner or later (let's hope sooner).  It's horrible when one finishes, but for all of us that are in relationships, we can do no more than intend well and state no more than that every one of our relationships has ended except the present one.  The hobby is a major element in my own sanity.  

Don't beat yourself up, mate, and keep ticking the boxes.  Cwm Prysor is a phenomenal layout, and you still have Lass to help you absorb the atmosphere, coming at you at Force 10...   Thanks for posting the latest photos, a lovely evocation of that wild and wooly place!

• Like 1

Ah, so true, Tom.

When I lived in the UK I was part of a group of 10 or so who operated a huge multi-layer American layout once a week, folk who had mostly known each other for some time.  When we moved here 16 years ago of course I lost that, and there isn't a group here anything like - not even an official club. I do so miss that companionship, although we have enthusiast friends, even one with a layout (but not an 'operating' layout), it is just not the same.  I am sure you will build a group in time, Cwm Prysor is a great draw, it enthrals me.  Hang on, I'm on the ferry.....

Pretty much the same here in Donegal!

• RMweb Gold

for all of us that are in relationships, we can do no more than intend well and state no more than that every one of our relationships has ended except the present one.  

Although it is usually not a good idea to state that directly to one’s object of affection... ;)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom, would you tell me where you get the Archer rivet transfers from, please? And what size do you use? Happy Christmas, Dai Davies

Type the phrase “archers rivets uk” into google, and you will find plenty of suppliers (including amazon) in less time than it took you to type the above! ;)

• Like 1