Class 27's on Push-Pull

ianwales

• RMweb Gold

Hi all

Have Heljan done suitible Class 27's to enable modelling of the Glasgow to Edinburgh Push-Pull trains and is there correct RTR coaching stock available please, also, what was the formation of these trains?

Ian

Hi Ian,

See Rail Express Modeller - Train Formations Handbook as it has all the information you need.

Short answer to Cl27 is no.

However, it is possible with some modelling to create the 27/2 versions that are essential.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi Scottish Modeller

Thanks for the info, has there been an article in the model press detailing what is needed to produce a 27/2 from the Heljan 27?

Ian

Hi Ian,

Yes - I will try to remember what mag and when!

Unless someone on here can fill in the missing information?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I’m hoping for the answer too, as I’m planning to make one too.

Shawplan make the extra grilles you need.

Depends on when you are modelling the push pulls. If the early years the Heljan 27 will do, it is only when Deutz engine sets where fitted do you need the extra grills.  The only thing the Heljan 27 does need is the extra conduits at sole bar level for the fire circuit mods.

From a study of all the photos I could find I worked out the extra grills were fitted in 1977. A few years after the fitting of the ETH generators.

Subsequently I’ve seen photos of the odd loco with one or two grills before that date but not the full set.

The 27/2 grills are available from Shawplan.

• RMweb Premium

Photos of chosen loco should be used as some locos had extra/different bodyside grilles.

As already stated by 45125, a 27/1 would only need the extra fire alarm conduit

A lot of pics and discussion here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/57319-class-27-push-pulls-1970s/

Edited by keefer

I have a slightly beaten up Lima 27 that I picked up on EBay for £20 which I’ll get round to making into a 27/2 with Shawplan 27/2 grills, fan grill and drop light glazing. I’ll need to get some buffers and scratch build the under frame tanks. I converted a Lima 33 to a 27/0 with a Craftsmam kit back in the 80s, this should require a lot less work. As said previously, closely check photos of the one you wish to do as the grill positioning was not always identical.

You can buy spare Heljan fuel tanks from Howes for not much money if you don’t want to scratchbuild them. They’re a bit wide but on a Lima 27 that will be a minor issue.

Whenever I’ve looked on Howes website the Heljan fuel tanks are listed as out of stock, so scratch build is the only alternative.