The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Thomas the Tank Engine gets multicultural female trains in equality overhaul

luckymucklebackit

Cant find any other reference to this..

https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/01/thomas-the-tank-engine-gets-multicultural-female-trains-in-equality-overhaul-7903296/

Thoughts?   Mine was, yes lets jump on the politically correct bandwagon for racial and gender equality, and at the same time create several new characters that someone will made models of and we will make a lot of money as the existing brand has gone stale.  One obvious contender for a new model is the SR pacific "Rebecca"

Jim

It's hardly the first time the series has featured locos from abroad. Personally I welcome the changes if they're going to add a few core characters and develop them properly. What I've found watching through with my daughter is that previously they've introduced new characters (e.g. the Misty Island logging locos) who are overused for a few episodes then it's on to the next fad.

Of course, let's not forget we're hardly the target market. My daughter loved Nia and Ashima in their respective movies so I'll be glad to see them back and produced in toy/model form.

• Like 1

Cant find any other reference to this..

https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/01/thomas-the-tank-engine-gets-multicultural-female-trains-in-equality-overhaul-7903296/

Thoughts?   Mine was, yes lets jump on the politically correct bandwagon for racial and gender equality, and at the same time create several new characters that someone will made models of and we will make a lot of money as the existing brand has gone stale.  One obvious contender for a new model is the SR pacific "Rebecca"

Jim

The new series starts at 7am tomorrow and Fridays is "What Rebecca Does" which presumably will not include her oil bath catching fire.

http://www.channel5.com/show/thomas-friends-big-world-big-adventures/

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well it might be an enjoyable TV series and why shouldn’t there be multicultural and female engines. But it’s not Thomas the Tank Engine puffing through lovely British scenery . Thomas the Tank Engine ended with book 26 .

• Like 2

Well it might be an enjoyable TV series and why shouldn’t there be multicultural and female engines. But it’s not Thomas the Tank Engine puffing through lovely British scenery . Thomas the Tank Engine ended with book 26 .

True, it all went a bit aw(d)ry when it went on the telly.

Let's face it, even if 'D9022' had been named 'Sir Testosterone of Alpha Males' he would've still been referred to as 'she', due to it being a (fictional) locomotive.

Maybe we're to blame for all the PC nonsense!

Edited by E3109
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

At least these foreign trains will be affordable and run on time. :)

I dunno, having used foreign trains quite a bit in recent years in Germany, Denmark, Belgium, Switzerland, Italy and the Netherlands I wouldn't rate punctuality and reliability as being any better than ours. In fact, unless you're unlucky enough to be using one of the problem franchises I think many of our routes are if anything better.

Edited by jjb1970

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure export markets for the toys (i.e. China & India) has more to do with the choices of new characters than political correctness.

As most big machines are "she" I'm more surpised that there have been no comments over the years about Thomas and his friends being a little confused over their gender.... :scratchhead:

Steven B

You are all forgetting the human factor.

Think of the sales of Driver Wendii's pink lunchbox always prominently placed on the control desk, the Fashion Concious Controller's boutique outfits, the on train hairdressing salon's tie in products* and Guard Sunita's powerful handbag with official mobile phone and other accessories. How far we have come from simple relationship difficulties arising from the risk of spoiling one's paint job...

*I shall quickly register the 'Aw-Dry' name for hairdryers.

No Wonder Hornby are Pulling out of this Lark. Shelves of brightly coloured non selling locos.

Hate to see the amount of figures needed for the Indian set!

No doubt a future episode we be when the engines be converted to Vegetable Oil and Cancerous Coal seen as the arch enemy blocking up the locos chimneys.

all about the money, money, money.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure export markets for the toys (i.e. China & India) has more to do with the choices of new characters than political correctness.

As most big machines are "she" I'm more surpised that there have been no comments over the years about Thomas and his friends being a little confused over their gender.... :scratchhead:

Steven B

A former employer of mine made a huge effort to review all of their documents to make references to ships gender neutral. I didn't mind that and tended to agree with it. What did annoy me was a very heavy handed approach by certain managers if they heard staff refer to a ship as "she" in general conversation.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just bring back Ringo Starr and all will be right with the world......

Somehow I can't see Nickelodeon (makers and distributors of the latest series) going along with that, or using models.  And I don't think there's anything new in this lot as most of the foreign engines have been seen before.

As ever I'm afraid it is a typical story of something thoroughly British, and with a good helping of whimsy and morality to prove it, going to the dogs when a bunch of money grubbing Americans get their greasy capetbagging hands on it and totally misunderstand what the original was all about - but if it makes them money they'll no doubt be perfectly happy.

And in a churchyard not far from us all even Jeremiah Jobling will be rotating rapidly in his grave, and no doubt making a lot of the fact that these foreign johnnies (and joanies) don't even wear bootlaces.  What is the world coming to?

• Like 2