The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Thomas the Tank Engine gets multicultural female trains in equality overhaul

luckymucklebackit

• RMweb Premium

I can see an upside to this, apart from the continuing entertainment of the nation's nippers as it gives the possibility of Bachmann USA making some approximate Indian outline locos, Rajiv looks to be based on this and Ashmina on this.

• Like 1

A former employer of mine made a huge effort to review all of their documents to make references to ships gender neutral. I didn't mind that and tended to agree with it. What did annoy me was a very heavy handed approach by certain managers if they heard staff refer to a ship as "she" in general conversation.

I always find it particularly silly when she/her is used for locos that are given male names e.g. Flying ScotsMAN or named after real (male) people e.g. Sir Nigel Gresley. Since Hornby are pulling out of the Thomas market a more low budget solution to gender balance might be to issue a run of Caley Pugs lettered 'Smokey Jo' (with no e). :) :jester:

• Like 2

As ever I'm afraid it is a typical story of something thoroughly British, and with a good helping of whimsy and morality to prove it, going to the dogs when a bunch of money grubbing Americans get their greasy capetbagging hands on it and totally misunderstand what the original was all about - but if it makes them money they'll no doubt be perfectly happy.

Tell us how you really feel, Mike! Has it really come to this, when PC has to enter the railway toy world. Railways like ships and many other man made items have traditionally been a 'she. Even cars, "she will do a ton" is common if she will indeed do a ton! Heaven forfend that there should ever be a demand for an anatomically correct Thomas or a female version thereof. :nono:

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Tell us how you really feel, Mike! Has it really come to this, when PC has to enter the railway toy world. Railways like ships and many other man made items have traditionally been a 'she. Even cars, "she will do a ton" is common if she will indeed do a ton! Heaven forfend that there should ever be a demand for an anatomically correct Thomas or a female version thereof. :nono:

Brian.

The motorbike I used to own was definitely a ‘she’ because I knew if I didn’t handle her correctly she’d kill me Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Well today's kids might get a ridiculous PC view of world railways but will have little or no understanding of gauge and coupling interoperability all it will take is few turkey twizlers and they are all doomed to a life in the gutter!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I watch the newer episodes with the kids, the latest series are miles better than the early cgi episodes (although nowhere near as good as the first four series). They even have the very small engines (Bert, Harry and Mike) and I always wanted those episodes to be made when I was kid, one episode even follows the story from the book.

When I was at wicksteed Park the other week I pointed out to my wife that “steam” loco was a diesel in disguise I’m sure it won’t be long until Thomas gets his first transgender friend in this form.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The original rev Audrey railway books were quite believable.

One story that I remember was a hymek with a defective exhauster that needed assistance by Henry to create vacuum.

Can't imagine Susana the lesbian sprinter ever having a defective westcode unit!

• Like 1

I understand where they're going but it's really changing the face of Thomas forever.

I get why they went to CGI - cheaper, quicker, moving with the times, I can accept it.

But they've now become stuck in a rut.

As someone else said, some characters are introduced, generally in the movie and then used for X amount of episodes before being dumped. Maybe a cameo in a recent story but that's it.

I hardly know any of the recent characters; I got a bit lost when they went to CGI.

There were plenty of characters to use before introducing all these new ones, since CGI. Now they have so many characters, some of the older ones (Edawrd and Henry?) are being retired.

What are they going to do? Have 100 girl and 100 boy engines? But that isn't how the world is!

They've also changed the layout of the island.

I get things develop but there can't be new locations all the time.

Like I say, a victim to their lust for always having something new instead of focusing on the story telling. Britt Allcroft killed it when she sold it - I think she knows it.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This morning's story should be watched by some on here.

Gordon was upset that Edward and Henry were moving out of the shed to make room for two of the new arrivals; He had to learn that change isn't always a bad thing and something good may come out of it.

My tame three year old is very impressed with the new series as there's now an engine in her favourite colour although we're having to relearn the closing title song. But change is a good thing, isn't it?

Steven B.

• Like 3

I can see an upside to this, apart from the continuing entertainment of the nation's nippers as it gives the possibility of Bachmann USA making some approximate Indian outline locos, Rajiv looks to be based on this and Ashmina on this.

Indeed, Rajiv is based on the Fairy Queen and Ashima is based on the Nilgiri Mountain Railway's X Class. I doubt Bachmann will make these. Maybe Rajiv as he can be made in HO scale as a BG loco as per the real thing. But Ashima is based on an MG locomotive. So whilst she can be made in HO scale just for their TTTE range I doubt it will sell as a normal locomotive.

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, Rajiv is based on the Fairy Queen and Ashima is based on the Nilgiri Mountain Railway's X Class. I doubt Bachmann will make these. Maybe Rajiv as he can be made in HO scale as a BG loco as per the real thing. But Ashima is based on an MG locomotive. So whilst she can be made in HO scale just for their TTTE range I doubt it will sell as a normal locomotive.

I'd agree that Rajiv would be an easier proposition (and probably a better seller) than Ashima but Bachmann have made a couple of well reived TTTE narrow gauge engines, Skarloey and Rheneas, so while unlikely it's not impossible.

I'd agree that Rajiv would be an easier proposition (and probably a better seller) than Ashima but Bachmann have made a couple of well received TTTE narrow gauge engines, Skarloey and Rheneas, so while unlikely it's not impossible.

NG and MG are two different gauges Neil. The NMR's X Class runs on 1000mm gauge also know known as MG.

The model will have appeal due the the prototype and railway it runs on but most likely as a static model. A working one in 1:87 or 1:76 will most likely need 12mm gauge track which still isn't popular as the others.

If the TTTE franchise included a loco like the DHR B Class or DHR NDM-6 that would've been better for Bachmann to make as they could model the real thing.

Furthermore since Bachmann released Rheneas and Skarloey, they haven't bothered to do the actual locos they're based on. So I doubt we'll see such a thing happening for other locos anytime soon.

• RMweb Premium

No.

Improvement is a good thing, change for the sake of change is not.

I'd say showing females as equals to males (rather than just something to be dragged around), and foreigners as being no different to the natives as being a good reason for improvements. Wouldn't you?

Thomas the Tank engine isn't a historical representation of the railways and so should move with the times.

Personally, having seen a couple of the latest series I'm more disappointed that the engines have been given more "character" by allowing them more movement within their frames.

Steven B.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

NG and MG are two different gauges Neil. The NMR's X Class runs on 1000mm gauge also know known as MG.

The model will have appeal due the the prototype and railway it runs on but most likely as a static model. A working one in 1:87 or 1:76 will most likely need 12mm gauge track which still isn't popular as the others.

If the TTTE franchise included a loco like the DHR B Class or DHR NDM-6 that would've been better for Bachmann to make as they could model the real thing.

Furthermore since Bachmann released Rheneas and Skarloey, they haven't bothered to do the actual locos they're based on. So I doubt we'll see such a thing happening for other locos anytime soon.

I know that the NMR is metre gauge but as a dabbler in narrow gauge model making I'm also aware that a number of practitioners use 9mm gauge to represent gauges from just under two feet to those around the three foot mark. My own Lisbon trams (900mm - 2 ft 11716 in gauge) run on 9mm gauge mechanisms. I doubt that the incorect gauge would prove to be much of a commercial handicap. Neither it seems has Bachmann's decision to not release the Talyllyn versions of Skarloey and Rheneas, the TTTE versions have proved to be remarkably popular. A quick spot of research on the Narrow Gauge Railway Modelling Online forum will bear this out, as will Bachmann's plans to release Rusty.

I know that the NMR is metre gauge but as a dabbler in narrow gauge model making I'm also aware that a number of practitioners use 9mm gauge to represent gauges from just under two feet to those around the three foot mark. My own Lisbon trams (900mm - 2 ft 11716 in gauge) run on 9mm gauge mechanisms. I doubt that the incorect gauge would prove to be much of a commercial handicap. Neither it seems has Bachmann's decision to not release the Talyllyn versions of Skarloey and Rheneas, the TTTE versions have proved to be remarkably popular. A quick spot of research on the Narrow Gauge Railway Modelling Online forum will bear this out, as will Bachmann's plans to release Rusty.

True but isn't Ashima in the series an SG loco like Thomas and the rest? I personally don't see the issue with them releasing the model as is for their TTTE range. But as a NMR product they will not sell in large numbers as most modelers will have to re-gauge it.

If Ashima is an NG loco like Skarloey and the others in the show then I do see a few more sales if released as an NMR product as widening the gauge is easier than narrowing it down.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

Sexualising traction units, good god.

(Takes long breath)......

And, relax.....

Is there a world away from here, where a hobby or interest is immune from PC nonsense, if there is please let me know cos that's where I want to go.

• Like 4

Or maybe it'll mean that 50% of the population see something to identify with in a show which they previously didn't. If girls take an interest in it as a result, and either go on to become cranks, or even just pursue a science/ technology based career then it can only be a good thing.

It's not really about trains anyway, it's just your standard kids TV show where the characters are anthropomorphised trains, rather than dogs in space or underwater sausages or whatever else they show.

Edited by Zomboid
  • Like 3

Girls into trains would be a good thing, agreed.

Apart from the rare exception it was boys only in my trainspotting youth.

For me Rev Awdry's railway knowledge was superb and it was this that was lost once it migrated to the telly, mind you what else could be expected once the family sold the rights off.

Nonetheless I reckon we ought to welcome this, Awdry was definitely pivotal regarding my initial interest in railways and I bet there are thousands of people who could state that too.

• Like 3

Sexualising traction units, good god.

(Takes long breath)......

And, relax.....

Is there a world away from here, where a hobby or interest is immune from PC nonsense, if there is please let me know cos that's where I want to go.

It's not that bad Chief. Worst culprit is something like Disney's 'Cars'. Anthropological to the point of ridiculousness, humans don't exist, but "cars" fall in love. So who makes the new cars! FFS, that pisses me off.

C6T.

I wouldn't say that was true at first.

The original series that followed the books, made using real models were done very well in my opinion.

Agreed to a point sir, I was an avid fan of the original telly stuff that appeared about 1984.

This was spoiled when Thomas (or Percy?) failed and in true model railway tradition, he was dragged off but his wheels weren't rotating. That was me tipping point!