Dapol Announce OO Gauge Bogie Bolster E

MGR Hooper!

• 6 months later...
On 09/12/2021 at 17:22, Pteremy said:

I see that 6 new versions have been announced, although the detail is a bit vague. The first 2 have 'B' numbers suggesting that they could be as built. But there are 3 in the style XxxxxDL, e.g. W1413DL. Are these some later variant?

On 09/12/2021 at 22:07, hmrspaul said:

No the W --- DL are references to Dave Larkins catalogue number, two are to photos from August 1969 and the third appears incorrect (an ex Private trader mineral in internal use]

Two of the B numbers are mine from summer 1967, I don't know the origin of the third. In https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brbbe

I've posted fuller details on the GoG forum. 

Paul

Been researching Dapol BBEs to build up my stock. I found that the web info is confusing so if anyone is interested here are my observations of the ones I have  

4F-061-001 B923358   

White wagon number on black patch  TOPS code BEV on black patch

4F-061-003 BR923528 Bogie Bolster TOS code YRV

Number B923528 with M above it painted onto the Bauxite framing, but with YNV and KD painted on a black panel next to the number and S&T painted on a black p further towards the centre. This and B923358 are the only ones with the centre line markings on a back patch

4F-061-004  BR923791 Bauxite TOPS YNV

Number DB923791 on a black patch as is departmental TOPS code YNV on a black patch. 

4F-061-005 BR923962 TOPS YRV (S&T)

KDB923962 painted onto a black patch but TOPS code painted onto the Bauxite and S&T also on a black patch. According to the packaging the model is a YRV but the printing on the model looks more like YNV which is what BEVs became in departmental service. 

Nice wagons and the prototypes were very distinctive when I saw them in the West Mids and Black Country in the early 1980s, prior to conversion into TURBOTS.  Short wagons clattering over jointed track sand with the 3 hole discs spinning round, visible by the bogies these were fitted with. 

Would be really nice of Dapol to release a pre TOPS series to save having to cosmetically change the markings on these.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Covkid said:

Would be really nice of Dapol to release a pre TOPS series to save having to cosmetically change the markings on these.

This is the 2019 discussion reenacted. You are confusing the issue. 

You are misquoting me. I am talking and you are quoting the second batch which quite clearly include a number of pre-TOPS, pre engineers examples - simply by the date of the photos. 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

This is the 2019 discussion reenacted. You are confusing the issue. 

You are misquoting me. I am talking and you are quoting the second batch which quite clearly include a number of pre-TOPS, pre engineers examples - simply by the date of the photos. 

Paul

Apologies.  Yes it is a post from 2019, but is the newest on here concerning Dapol bogie bolster Es

Having taken the time to research online, it seems Dapol's first tranche were 4F 061-001 to 4F 061-006

Online it seems retailers are advertising a second tranche 4F 061- 007 to 4F 061-012.  From retailer descriptions these appear to be BR "traffic" bolsters butthe numbers and images are confusing.  The stock picture appears to be B924327 lettered BEV and hasd been used for several catalogue numbers.

I have gleaned that the second tranche seems to be 

4F 061-007 B923661

4F 061-008 B924386

4F 061-009 B923504

4F 061-010 ?     W1413DL

4F 061-011 ?     W1460DL

4F 061-012 ?     W3613DL

Paul has already explained the relevance of the WxxxxDL numbers

I will probably seem like a nerdy anorak when I say there are subtle differences in era etc with these, noting that a large boxshifter describes the vehicles as steam era when the have BEV painted on the side.  TOPS didn't really kick in until 1972 so the code "BEV" (Bogie bolster / E / Vacuum) replaced "Bolster E" or "Bobol E" from around 1972 onwards when BR steam finished in August 1968. 

I am not criticising anyone here but this kind of information is helpful to the retailer and the customer.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Covkid said:

Apologies.  Yes it is a post from 2019, but is the newest on here concerning Dapol bogie bolster Es

Having taken the time to research online, it seems Dapol's first tranche were 4F 061-001 to 4F 061-006

Online it seems retailers are advertising a second tranche 4F 061- 007 to 4F 061-012.  From retailer descriptions these appear to be BR "traffic" bolsters butthe numbers and images are confusing.  The stock picture appears to be B924327 lettered BEV and hasd been used for several catalogue numbers.

4F 061-007 B923661

4F 061-008 B924386

4F 061-009 B923504

4F 061-010 ?     W1413DL

4F 061-011 ?     W1460DL

4F 061-012 ?     W3613DL

I will probably seem like a nerdy anorak when I say there are subtle differences in era etc with these, noting that a large boxshifter describes the vehicles as steam era when the have BEV painted on the side.  TOPS didn't really kick in until 1972 so the code "BEV" (Bogie bolster / E / Vacuum) replaced "Bolster E" or "Bobol E" from around 1972 onwards when BR steam finished in August 1968. 

I am not criticising anyone here but this kind of information is helpful to the retailer and the customer.

Do not believe all you read on box shifters web sites … there’s nothing like a bit of research yourself to get the correct facts. 

Have emailed one asking them to correct their DCC compatibility information for two models which they quote as DCC ready when in fact they are DCC compatible . 

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Covkid said:

4F 061-007 B923661

4F 061-008 B924386

4F 061-009 B923504

4F 061-010 ?     W1413DL

4F 061-011 ?     W1460DL

4F 061-012 ?     W3613DL

I give up. 

Paul

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Finally got my rake running properly. Hated the original coupling length so have settled on cut down Bachmann short straight tension locks glued in to shortened NEM pockets .

They ran superbly on the layout at GWSR diesel gala .,. Here they are heading south with 4” bar loads …

Dapol bolster Es southbound through Abbotswood

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Finally got my rake running properly. Hated the original coupling length so have settled on cut down Bachmann short straight tension locks glued in to shortened NEM pockets .

They ran superbly on the layout at GWSR diesel gala .,. Here they are heading south with 4” bar loads …

Dapol bolster Es southbound through Abbotswood

They looked very nice in your video Mr B.  Some rather good looking billets loaded on them as well.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/07/2023 at 10:48, The Stationmaster said:

They looked very nice in your video Mr B.  Some rather good looking billets loaded on them as well.

Cheers Mr SM got there at last… 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm slightly hazy on the liveries of these pre TOPS but a little after introduction. Loads of info on later but I'm not sure when some changes happened.

@hmrspaul photos show quite a range of patches, variations, TOPS amendments etc etc but I'm unclear what condition would be "typical" in, say, 1967.

Examples:

was the use of E. Bolster VB as opposed to Bogie Bolster E a later and quite widespread change or just a variation between batches from the start?

Were the white lined black info panels at the right hand end original or a slightly later addition? (originally would it have just been the tare in imperial with no panel?)

When was the tare in kg written above the number at the left hand end introduced?

Thanks in advance!

7 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I'm slightly hazy on the liveries of these pre TOPS but a little after introduction. Loads of info on later but I'm not sure when some changes happened.

@hmrspaul photos show quite a range of patches, variations, TOPS amendments etc etc but I'm unclear what condition would be "typical" in, say, 1967.

Examples:

was the use of E. Bolster VB as opposed to Bogie Bolster E a later and quite widespread change or just a variation between batches from the start?

Were the white lined black info panels at the right hand end original or a slightly later addition? (originally would it have just been the tare in imperial with no panel?)

When was the tare in kg written above the number at the left hand end introduced?

Thanks in advance!

Introduced 60 years ago when most photographers were taking the old steamers or the new diesels. Lot files etc. at the HMRS Study Center will have any "Return to... " from new, but basic writing will not have been recorded. My two 1967 photos are BOGIE BOLSTER E so I suspect it was original. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbbe/eb5f13cad  (old tare) https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbbe/eb5f13cb0  recently applied maintenance panel. Neither have any sign of the 1963-4 boxed in writing, all these wagons pre-date that so wouldn't have been used much before the 7 year maintenance period had expired. 

Certainly the unusual, for BR, construction of E-BOLSTER VB was very common but possibly a later 60s interpretation. 

Maintenance panels would not have been present when new, they came in in the late 1960s, as did the Yellow load panels. Kg is 1970s thing, asked in a more suitable place on here you may get an accurate answer. 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1