Loco Brake Rod fitting

• RMweb Gold

I’ve tried to fit the brake rods to my Hornby 42xx and 72xx and I’m struggling because I don’t want to damage anything

Is there a nak to fitting them?

Chris

Yes. It's basically character-forming. The mouldings are more resilient than you imagine. You can do it. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ll have another go.....once the replacement brake rods arrive, I broke the rods (hence the question)

Fortunately it was the rods that broke and not the brake shoe levers on the loco

I’m beginning to think I should play with Lego instead of locos

• Friendly/supportive 1

I seem to recall that the rods on the GW 72xx don't fit very well, in fact mine split along the long length. As this doesn't drop and foul the track it isn't significant, just annoying as it should fit properly.

Most of them from Hornby or Bachmann do in my experience fit properly. You can push the brake shoes out a bit, and also bend the rod mould a bit crosswise. Sometimes the holes in the brake shoes are not clear, and can be opened up carefully with a small reamer/ broach. Sometimes there is flash on the ends of the rod mould where it goes into the brake shoes, this can be trimmed very, very carefully with a sharp knife.

John.

• RMweb Gold

I seem to recall that the rods on the GW 72xx don't fit very well, in fact mine split along the long length. 

John.

I'm reliably informed the ones supplied with the 72xx class are actually those used on the Hornby 28xx class. :O

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...