Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

LNER Loco coal wagon livery pre 1931.

ColHut

G'day

Just noted that Essery in his British Goods Wagons states that Pre 1930 LNER Loco coal wagons were painted green, thereafter grey. All other sources say grey, including Tatlow.

Is there a definitive answer somewhere?

regards

I think, for once, Sir Bob may be in error. How old is the book you're looking at?

Internal user wagons belonging to the loco department were green. Loco coal wagons were the same grey as all other unfitted stock - in theory, they could be used for revenue earning work as well.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that they were originally blue which was the NERs livery for service stock.

Here. Not the source I was thinking of though.

Service stock was painted standard goods colours except for the locomotive department wagons which were painted a light blue, slightly lighter than British Rail's intercity blue.

http://www.igg.org.uk/rail/00-app2/lner/ner.htm

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

My understanding of NER practice (which may also have become LNER practice) was that service stock was blue except where it might be used for revenue earning work, in which case it was grey. The specific example quoted was sleeper wagons.

LNER engineering stock was blue, either Oxford or Cambridge depending on works and degree of weathering.

Edited by jwealleans

• 4 years later...
23 minutes ago, Simond said:

Would Halfords grey primer be reasonable?  

A little on the light side, I should have said, going from what little photographic evidence there is in colour.  I generally use Precision Paints LNER grey or Humbrol 67.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/98763-odd-wagons-of-the-uk/page/11/#comment-4534828

D