Not sure if modelling is the correct term because most of the locos and coaches are available ready to run. Charter trains are usually hauled by preserved steam or diesel engines and fixed rakes of Mk1 coaches in maroon, brown and cream or crimson and cream liveries.

One example is the Swanage Belle that ran from Victoria to Swanage on Thursday 13th September. I enclose details of the formation and some pictures.

Swanage Belle Thursday 13th September.docx

post-17621-0-04532500-1537464535_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-72442300-1537464625_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-16513900-1537464710_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-52984600-1537464768_thumb.jpg

Creating a fair representation of a train is modelling. Don't let vehicle 'modellers' put you off just because you have not badly renumbered the coaches (ouch). At a recent exhibition there was a layout owner saying to somebody next to me how detailed his model of Warship was (true it looked nice) but had it running with Mk2a TSO and BSO.  A bit of a problem as Warships were vac only and the coaches air only.

Back to charter stock - having a mix of liveries does make it more visually interesting.

• RMweb Gold

My ‘charter rake’ is a bulled up set of hachette ‘glued to the front of a magazine’ maroon MK1 coaches, all I’ve done visually is paint the roof, add a cant rail stripe and west coast rail decals from Railtec

Not a prototypical rake but a damn sight cheaper than buying 8 similar Bachmann or Hornby coaches and more than passable as an excursion train in my opinion

Next job in them when I can be bothered is to add figures to all the seats, got 200 of them off eBay to fit

I was interested to see that you can get some West Coast Mainline transfers. I was also thinking of buying an old Lima 00 gauge class 33 diesel and repainting it in West Coast Mainline claret. I have bought a Bachmann West Coast Mainline class 47 diesel which sometimes appears on the back of steam charter trains.

I was interested to see that you can get some West Coast Mainline transfers. I was also thinking of buying an old Lima 00 gauge class 33 diesel and repainting it in West Coast Mainline claret. I have bought a Bachmann West Coast Mainline class 47 diesel which sometimes appears on the back of steam charter trains.

Here you go Robin:

http://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?&type=5&gauge=4mm&region=1&livery=105

These are all spot printed so have no superfluous carrier film to worry about, amongst numerous other benefits.