London Transport BR built Brake van Transfers.

Last time I checked the London Transport roundel and branding are Marks strictly protected by TfL (Transport for London), requiring a significant fee for a license. The branding is protected to such an extent that it would not even be possible to reproduce fictitious place names (e.g. for stations) inside the roundel, these largely being limited to the list of present and past stations only as well as a handful of other Marks. I also seem to recall seeing in the national news how an electricians' shop in Blackpool which had used the roundel for years in a sign hanging outside the premises had been threatened with legal action. Go figure.

Link to news item:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3627078/Tiny-electrical-shop-David-Goliath-battle-TfL-transport-bosses-order-owner-change-tube-station-style-logo.html

Edited by railtec-models

What about bus transfers, are Mabex still going, and do they have to pay a licensing fee?

Then there are the model bus producers themselves, EFE and so on. Maybe the licensing fee, if any, explains why LT buses are generally more expensive than others.

I remember years ago, when the film Jurassic Park came out.

London Transport adapted the film's logo and applied it to bus stop poster frames and so on, to deter illegal parking.

The film's logo was also a circle and bar, although the bar was about 2/3rds the way down.

The logo said 'Jurassic Parker', the film company inevitably threatened legal action.

LT pointed out that they'd been using a circle and bar logo since the 1920s or whenever, and threatened to counter-sue. IIRC, LT won.

There was a similar story with Loadhaul, they wanted Hornby, Lima to pay a fee for the use of the logo. Common sense eventually prevailed when EWS took over (that would be a first with EWS then haha) as I understand it most railway companies have welcomed the free advertising.

• Like 1

Thanks Jason.

I looked at Modelmaster but missed that one.

Cheers

Dave.

ps I did email them but no answer after 2 weeks.