3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Stuart

Not bad for a suburban EMU.

Ah, Clive they were a lot more than a suburban EMU!

The fact they were outshopped from BR Workshops, York in lined maroon spoke volumes!  Definitely built as  express passenger trains with headcodes proudly displaying the 1F prefix!  The officially designated top speed of 100mph said it all.

IMO the best express EMU ever (until "Essex Express" / NSE refurbishment made them less comfortable and spoilt them) - so much more quality than the SR ever knocked out.:) 

Incidentally, I too remember standing where the units were joined, peering in at the driver's control desk and watching the speedo needle hit 100!  Chelmsford  - Colchester section being the racetrack!  Exciting and happy days!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 1 year later...

Very impressed with the 307 - many happy memories of travelling between Rainham and Grays.  Must admit I preferred the bouncy suspension of the 'Gresley' bogied 305's?

I've hankered after a 00 model ever since (1979...). Are the green cab ends 'home made' or does someone sell them?  Grateful for a lead...

Edited by NeilB2
typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, NeilB2 said:

Very impressed with the 307 - many happy memories of travelling between Rainham and Grays.  Must admit I preferred the bouncy suspension of the 'Gresley' bogied 305's?

I've hankered after a 00 model ever since (1979...). Are the green cab ends 'home made' or does someone sell them?  Grateful for a lead...

Scroll down on the link below.

Replica Railways emu cabs

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1