Who is responsible

rab

• RMweb Premium

My son ordered something from an eBay seller this week,

and paid extra for next day delivery. The item arrived

the day after 'next day'. He has contacted the seller,

who has told him he needs to take it up with Royal Mail.

In my opinion the seller should refund the extra payment,

then they should contact Royal Mail.

Where should my son's next point of contact be;

EBay, Royal Mail, or back to the seller.

If it was Royal Mail Special Delivery (Guaranteed Next Day) and it didn't arrive next day its up to the person that posted to put a claim in. I have done it several times you get a form from the PO and send it off with proof of posting. They refund the full postage by cheque. The seller should then pass on the refund to you.

Agree.  Your son's contract, including the next day delivery he paid for, is with the seller.  The seller's contract is with Royal Mail.  If Royal Mail didn't deliver the contracted service, it's up to the seller to to take it up with them.

The seller should reimburse your son for the extra cost anyway, regardless of whether they get any recompense from Royal Mail.

As the saying goes: you can outsource responsibility but not accountability.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Won't it partly depend on the day's ordering cut off time? (Was one specified by the vendor?) I mail out book sales for the SLS, although we don't sell on e-bay, however, if I/we did then around 3pm would be a cut off for that day's mailings as the last collection from our local PO is 4pm and I'd have to package the item up and get it there hence the 3pm statement.

Example - An order received 15:30 Monday, would be in post for Tuesday's collections, delivered Wednesday which would be the correct timeline viewed from my end but perceived as 24 hours late from the customer's perspective.

Converse applied for me this week ordered on line, paid first class R Mail post option (No longer officially regarded as a next day delivery target) and it actually arrived a day earlier than I thought it would. Well done FMW & Royal Mail.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

RM will only deal with the sender, tell them that or you will have to contact eBay. I had an item damaged in the post and I had to contact RM and sort it out and get the replacement parts quote to RM. All sorted but it wasn’t what you’d call quick as it all had to be done by post rather than email!

Guest teacupteacup

The seller is responsible for chasing RM, but it depends on the time the item was posted at.  If it missed the last collection time then there is no come back.

• RMweb Gold

Depends what 'next day' meant in this case.

If it was sent Special Delivery then it needs to be at the post office by 4:30pm at the latest otherwise it will be 'day after tomorrow'.   If it was sent first class there's no guarantee of next day delivery and no comeback for missing the target.

Whatever the reason the seller is the only person who can raise a claim about this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’d return the item as “not as described”.

Next day postage is part of the description.

You get everything back including postage, and the seller has to pay the return postage too, this puts the monkey on the seller to sort it.

If they are sensible they will sort you out the postage.

Edited by adb968008