Getting started with DCC

adamcooke

Hi all,

I’m relatively new to DCC (and model railways entirely) and I’m trying to make some decisions about the technology that I should be looking to use for a new layout. I know what I want to achieve and I’m familiar with various options to achieve it but my understanding some some concepts is lacking.

I hope you don’t mind me just asking a few, what might be obvious, questions. I have done some research into these things too.

My layout will contain a couple of loops and a few sidings, controlled by points (with point motors and decoders).

I’d like to have appropriate signalling with blocking on previous signals.

I’d like to control everything from a PC.

The layout will have numerous static LEDs, LFX controllers, sound decoders etc... for non-train elements - house lights, fires, station announcements etc... It would be nice if these were controlled by DCC too so they could start/stop/change when trains pass.

The layout should run automatically on a program (or manually controlled when needed) with trains stopping at stations and red lights and changing direction at the end of non-looped track.

Firstly, I suppose, I need to know what software is best used for controlling and automating all this? JRMI? Rail master? RR&Co? Can these packages handle a completely automated program?

Secondly, what DCC “controller” is best which provides a USB or Ethernet interface for a PC? ELink? Signatrak? Prodigy? I’ve heard ELink doesn’t work well with JRMI (although the Hornby Elite does).

Finally, for now, on the track/block detection, do I need to use Loconet to interface with that? Can you do detection without Loconet? If so, what software supports this? I haven’t been able to find out much about this which makes total sense to me yet. I understand there’s block detection (any train in an area of track?) and track detection (any train at a specific point?).

I’m sure I’ll have other questions but I have no idea what they are yet!

Many thanks for any help!

Adam

Firstly, I suppose, I need to know what software is best used for controlling and automating all this? JRMI? Rail master? RR&Co? Can these packages handle a completely automated program?

"completely automated". Forget Railmaster. JMRI if you're into serious programming effort (JMRI is great for many things, but full automation is a lot of work with it). TrainController (aka RR&Co) works if you have a compatible DCC system. Or iTrain (arguments pro/con against TrainController are quite fine).

Secondly, what DCC “controller” is best which provides a USB or Ethernet interface for a PC? ELink? Signatrak? Prodigy? I’ve heard ELink doesn’t work well with JRMI (although the Hornby Elite does).

For "completely automated" none of the above. Start with the software, then find out which systems work really well with the software. Select system that way if you want "completely automated" to work without hassle. Probably look at ESU, Lenz, Digitrax, NCE, Uhlenbrock, maybe Digikeijs.

Finally, for now, on the track/block detection, do I need to use Loconet to interface with that? Can you do detection without Loconet? If so, what software supports this? I haven’t been able to find out much about this which makes total sense to me yet. I understand there’s block detection (any train in an area of track?) and track detection (any train at a specific point?).

LocoNet is Digitrax' bus architecture, and its quite powerful. Its also used by Uhlenbrock and Digikeijs. Can be used with other makers systems (so called "stand alone LocoNet").

Its not the only game in town for buses which support feedback mechanisms, there is also S88, and some CAN methods (Zimo for example).

The feedback bus, is again, something which has to get messages back to the central computer for automation.

Suggest you find a good dealer who understands automation, and have a long chat with them. And, assume your budget for system, software and some detectors to get going runs to £600-£1000 to get started. If your budget for control is below £600, you're into "build it yourself", or "forget it" for full automation.

- Nigel

I suggest that you gave James at www.dcctrainautomation.co.uk a call as he is a dealer that knows what is available across the market and provides very impartial advice because he sells all the systems therefore wontbtry to make you buy the system that he is the distributor for :)

Onlither system which is very powerful as it is very extensible supporting multiple protocols is the Roco z/Z21 - well worth considering

• RMweb Gold

Do you know of a good list of recommended options for this? 

Evening Adam

I deliberately didnt mention a particular system - its an issue that has been discussed many times on here and you will inevitably end up with a load of recommendations which are difficult to fathom. The best bet is to go to shows - Sunday afternoon usually best as quietest - and look at what people are using , and ask what they think or has already been said talk to dealers

Youtube is good for video demos too

Ultimately its your choice 

Phil