RMweb

Wakefield Model Railway Exhibition 2018

enginelane

Hi,

Although we always put in a lot of effort to get Mostyn fully-prepared and showing off new stock whenever we go out to exhibitions, Wakefield this coming weekend is going to be very special for a number of reasons. Firstly we are delighted to be invited to help celebrate their 60th anniversary, secondly the idea of the Mostyn you see nowadays was actually born in Wakefield way back in 2000 and thirdly one of the two people who had that vision, David Goodwin, sadly passed away earlier this year and this is Mostyn's first outing since that sad occasion.

We have been quietly beavering away producing a lot of new stock which will make its debut over the coming weekend.

Fans of the Class 24 will have a special treat with 24035, 24057, 24063, 24087 and 24091 entering the limelight for the first time. They will join the other seven examples already on Mostyn to give us all the 1977 survivors of this iconic locomotive class.

Many of you follow the modelling exploits of Iain Kirk (Padgate Works) and you will not be disppointed with a complete new spoil train.

New 1st generation DMU formations will add to the passenger formations.

The first of our new etched nickel-silver Freightliner containers will be on the Holyhead-Willesden working.

A six-axle XJV nuclear flask wagon joins the roster.

Loaded sulphur hoppers now complete this once important traffic.

Our obsession with pre-Nationalisation designs continues with a new Collett-designed BG and 'Dance Hall' brake van.

No images in this posting I'm afraid as we would like them to be a surprise for visitors to the show.

Hope to meet some of you at the weekend.

Gavin

• Like 2

Hi,

Although we always put in a lot of effort to get Mostyn fully-prepared and showing off new stock whenever we go out to exhibitions, Wakefield this coming weekend is going to be very special for a number of reasons. Firstly we are delighted to be invited to help celebrate their 60th anniversary, secondly the idea of the Mostyn you see nowadays was actually born in Wakefield way back in 2000 and thirdly one of the two people who had that vision, David Goodwin, sadly passed away earlier this year and this is Mostyn's first outing since that sad occasion.

We have been quietly beavering away producing a lot of new stock which will make its debut over the coming weekend.

Fans of the Class 24 will have a special treat with 24035, 24057, 24063, 24087 and 24091 entering the limelight for the first time. They will join the other seven examples already on Mostyn to give us all the 1977 survivors of this iconic locomotive class.

Many of you follow the modelling exploits of Iain Kirk (Padgate Works) and you will not be disppointed with a complete new spoil train.

New 1st generation DMU formations will add to the passenger formations.

The first of our new etched nickel-silver Freightliner containers will be on the Holyhead-Willesden working.

A six-axle XJV nuclear flask wagon joins the roster.

Loaded sulphur hoppers now complete this once important traffic.

Our obsession with pre-Nationalisation designs continues with a new Collett-designed BG and 'Dance Hall' brake van.

No images in this posting I'm afraid as we would like them to be a surprise for visitors to the show.

Hope to meet some of you at the weekend.

Gavin

Wow! There is £7 quids worth just there! We are going to be playing a lot of Tight Fit over the weekend as that what it will be with all the layouts invited this year!

Mostyn is a layout we have wanted at the show for a number of years and saw it running at Ally Pally this year after last seeing it at a Scalefour Show up at Thornes Park College Site.

Safe journey on the M62 tomorrow

How time flies and already another year has gone by and with it another WakefieldShow. Yes folks no more glimpses of what is to come because today the show opens at 5.30 pm to 9pm. It gives an ideal opportunity for those who work or have family commitments at the weekend to come to the show.

Exhibitors and traders will have battled along the highways and byways to get set up so support them all by coming this evening!

Saturday and Sunday sessions are available as well!

post-9435-0-21036200-1542353812_thumb.jpeg

Edited by enginelane
  • Like 1

Excellent show. Copenhagen Fields, Mostyn and Grantham all in the same hall. Plus a range of excellent smaller layouts.

Good second hand stall as well. Finally got a kit I’d been after. Lots of LRM, Alan Gibson etc kits to buy. Made a pleasant change.

Highly recommended.

OK, Wakefield is usually a good show but this year it really excels. It must have one of the best layout line-ups ever and every one, from the smallest to the “big three”, heavyweights showed something exceptional. Curiously, for a layout that’s been around for a good while now, Mostyn is still developing with new stock items on show.

Well done to all concerned, this is a show which does justice to the club’s 60 years, highly recommended for anyone thinking about going.

• Like 2

OK, Wakefield is usually a good show but this year it really excels. It must have one of the best layout line-ups ever and every one, from the smallest to the “big three”, heavyweights showed something exceptional. Curiously, for a layout that’s been around for a good while now, Mostyn is still developing with new stock items on show.

Well done to all concerned, this is a show which does justice to the club’s 60 years, highly recommended for anyone thinking about going.

Thank you really appreciate your comments

An excellent show this year, well worth a visit. Two of my favourite layouts Copenhagen Fields and and Mostyn together with other great layouts makes a great show, it will take some beating. Halifax King Cross deserves a mention, first time I have seen this layout very impressive. Well done to all who made it possible. 

post-9500-0-66624500-1542411901_thumb.jpg

post-9500-0-56359200-1542411934_thumb.jpg

post-9500-0-15021600-1542411943_thumb.jpg

post-9500-0-54924000-1542411963_thumb.jpg

post-9500-0-32049500-1542412003_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just back from a visit to the show and what a treat it was.

It's not my local show in West Yorkshire, but it's the one that I always make an effort to go to as it's consistently good.

This years show, the diamond jubilee of the West Yorkshire Railway Modellers' Society, has to be the best yet.  A superb mix of top quality layouts.  Well done and thanks to the Exhibition Team and all those 'manning' the layouts and to the traders.  

Appropriate positive comments left 'at the door' with the guys selling the show tickets.

I'll post a few photos a little later.

If you're within easy travelling distance of Wakefield I'd certainly recommend a visit on Sunday.  Admission of £7 is an absolute bargain - even in Yorkshire :jester: , with a free programme, easy no-cost parking and a venue that provides decent food and tea. 

Edited by 4630
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just back from an excellent show. Easy parking (free), great value at £7 including Guide Book. Got nearly everything on my shopping list and saved more in postage than the admission price!!

Hard to pick out a Best Layout with so much quality in one place, but still can't quite believe the overall impression of Copenhagen Fields. I could have stood there all day as I got submerged in the atmosphere.

Grantham, Fields and Mostyn all looked great but we spent 75% of the time on Grantham; simply - they knew how to run it and they ran it well. On fields there must have been engineering works on the main lines as the only thing that moved was out of the yard and on the NLL. Mostyn had 'issues' with trains trying to occupy the same bit of track and the inability of one point to work with Class 40's. Most of the smaller layouts were good as well but on one a sound Class 27 was ticking over in a siding for seamingly all of the 3 hours we were there.

Trade stands seemed to very effective at selling stuff, unfortunately not me. At least it meant there was time for a thrid circuit of the layouts.

Just back from a visit to the show and what a treat it was.

It's not my local show in West Yorkshire, but it's the one that I always make an effort to go to as it's consistently good.

This years show, the diamond jubilee of the West Yorkshire Railway Modellers' Society, has to be the best yet.  A superb mix of top quality layouts.  Well done and thanks to the Exhibition Team and all those 'manning' the layouts and to the traders.  

Appropriate positive comments left 'at the door' with the guys selling the show tickets.

I'll post a few photos a little later.

If you're within easy travelling distance of Wakefield I'd certainly recommend a visit on Sunday.  Admission of £7 is an absolute bargain - even in Yorkshire :jester: , with a free programme, easy no-cost parking and a venue that provides decent food and tea.

Your comments are much appreciated. We had 1000 visitors today but would always welcome more tomorrow 10 to 4.30.

Grantham, Fields and Mostyn all looked great but we spent 75% of the time on Grantham; simply - they knew how to run it and they ran it well. On fields there must have been engineering works on the main lines as the only thing that moved was out of the yard and on the NLL. Mostyn had 'issues' with trains trying to occupy the same bit of track and the inability of one point to work with Class 40's. Most of the smaller layouts were good as well but on one a sound Class 27 was ticking over in a siding for seamingly all of the 3 hours we were there.

Trade stands seemed to very effective at selling stuff, unfortunately not me. At least it meant there was time for a thrid circuit of the layouts.

Interestingly, my experience was the direct opposite - Mostyn and CF operating very well, but hand shunting on the scenic side of Grantham, plus derailments and more hand shunting/wrong points being set etc in the fiddle yard.

With very large layouts like these it always amazes me just how well they all run given the mileages the trains run at an average exhibition and the concentration required by the operators.

Well done to the show organisers. I don't think I have ever been to such a good show. The quality was fantastic.

I most certainly agree with the comments in previous posts about the quality of the show. Maybe not the very best but right up there certainly.

I always make the effort to get to the Wakefield show and this year there are some iconic layouts present. In fact all the layouts are worth stopping by for a look with not a dud'un in the hall. Thanks to WRMS for providing an excellent day out (at a very reasonable price).

• RMweb Gold

Following on from my post earlier, here are some photos from the show - part 1;

Mostyn

post-414-0-80290600-1542487328.jpg

post-414-0-08966700-1542487336.jpg

post-414-0-94660900-1542487342.jpg

post-414-0-55447100-1542487349.jpg

Ackthorpe

post-414-0-26170900-1542487356.jpg

Grantham

post-414-0-38331900-1542487362.jpg

post-414-0-93325700-1542487368.jpg

Webb's Wharf

post-414-0-30091900-1542487375.jpg

post-414-0-14423400-1542487382.jpg

White Peak Limestone and Tarmacadam Ltd

post-414-0-57112600-1542487390.jpg

post-414-0-09355800-1542487398.jpg

Driffield

post-414-0-89865100-1542487406.jpg

Bear Creek

post-414-0-56710600-1542487416.jpg

post-414-0-45601700-1542487426.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

... and here are some more from today;

End Of The Spur

post-414-0-03046000-1542487743.jpg

post-414-0-28055300-1542487751.jpg

post-414-0-95854600-1542487758.jpg

Nordhafen

post-414-0-83339300-1542487766.jpg

post-414-0-49469000-1542487776.jpg

Halifax King Cross

post-414-0-82120500-1542487785.jpg

post-414-0-52834100-1542487794.jpg

post-414-0-65352400-1542487809.jpg

post-414-0-77339900-1542487819.jpg

Wansbeck

post-414-0-26757500-1542487826.jpg

post-414-0-36650500-1542487834.jpg

Stanley

post-414-0-56281600-1542487843.jpg

post-414-0-03746700-1542487852.jpg

Copenhagen Fields

post-414-0-82511500-1542487859.jpg

post-414-0-90026400-1542487867.jpg

Thanks again to all the exhibitors for some superb modelling.

• Like 2

Great show, well done to the Wakefield club, you've done yourselves proud in your 60th year!

It was worth every penny of the £7 entrance just to see so many top drawer layouts in one room...

...and the cakes were rather good aswell!

Grantham, Fields and Mostyn all looked great but we spent 75% of the time on Grantham; simply - they knew how to run it and they ran it well.

Interestingly, my experience was the direct opposite - Mostyn and CF operating very well, but hand shunting on the scenic side of Grantham, plus derailments and more hand shunting/wrong points being set etc in the fiddle yard.

Pretty fair in the round. We had a bit of a curate's egg day by our standards. On occasions we appeared to be having a 'purple patch' where things were going well, following by an attack of the gremlins / operator error where maybe things didn't look quite so good. Having a barrier line alongside the main axis of the fiddle yard as well as the front can be a bit of a double edged sword. Folks like to examine your stock and are often genuinely interested in how the fiddle yard works; however it is a fiddle yard where a fair degree of 'fiddling' is required which ideally should be done out of the public gaze (doesn't excuse points being wrong, mind).

Thanks for kind comments nonetheless; let's see what Sunday brings...

Edited by LNER4479

Pretty fair in the round. We had a bit of a curate's egg day by our standards. On occasions we appeared to be having a 'purple patch' where things were going well, following by an attack of the gremlins / operator error where maybe things didn't look quite so good. Having a barrier line alongside the main axis of the fiddle yard as well as the front can be a bit of a double edged sword. Folks like to examine your stock and are often genuinely interested in how the fiddle yard works; however it is a fiddle yard where a fair degree of 'fiddling' is required which ideally should be done out of the public gaze (doesn't excuse points being wrong, mind).

Thanks for kind comments nonetheless; let's see what Sunday brings...

Personally, the few gremlins in no way prevented me from enjoying what is after all a truly great layout. I have operated a busy fiddle yard myself in the past and realise how easy it is for things to go slightly wrong from time to time. Having your fiddle yard on full display was an extra bonus for me.