Orange Conduit on Diesels?

Hi, Could anyone tell me when the process of painting conduit orange on Diesel loco's started please ? ...im particularly interested in the external conduit on class 25's although general observational info would be of interest too.

Thanks

Phill :)

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)

I think pipework on diesel locomotives (engine blocks) is colour coded like this white for air, blue for water, salmon pink for lubricating oil, brown for fuel and orange for electrics. 

Not sure if that applies to the exterior pipe/conduit?

I think pipework on diesel locomotives (engine blocks) is colour coded like this white for air, blue for water, salmon pink for lubricating oil, brown for fuel and orange for electrics.

Yes, applies externally too

Jo

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think pipework on diesel locomotives (engine blocks) is colour coded like this white for air, blue for water, salmon pink for lubricating oil, brown for fuel and orange for electrics. 

Not forgetting silver/grey for steam, and red for fire extinguisher lines.

Blue was coolant, whereas raw water was green IIRC.

All conduit and terminal boxes were orange, and conduit was the norm back then.

Dave

Inside most "classic" diesel locos there was a color chart stating what colors for what pipework (will try to find one) and as for the spec. it's orange and B+Q

Painting pipework is a true labour of love. Try this lot 

post-1776-0-08140000-1540646675.jpg

post-1776-0-94304700-1540646683.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Inside most "classic" diesel locos there was a color chart stating what colors for what pipework (will try to find one) and as for the spec. it's orange and B+Q

There was a OC outstationed gronk that had all the paint stripped and all that pipework polished, there was even a tin of Brasso in the cab, but I can't remember the number or it's usual driver. Suffice to say he wasn't impressed when it came back after a works visit in that condition.......

Dave

Thanks for the photos, they are the best ones I've come across for the inside of an 08.