Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Named class 86s - but still with headcodes.

Hi one and all,

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I often wondered if the good old Hornby model of 86219 Phoenix was correct featuring a nameplate and headcodes set to 0000 instead of the the more usual sealed beam lights configuration. But I have recently seen a photo of 86212 in this condition and I'm pretty sure I've seen a photo of a further example as well.

So my questions are, how many class 86s received names before their headcodes were plated over?. And which ones were they?!!. Photgraphic evidence seems thin on the ground!

• RMweb Gold

I’m pretty sure that Class 86’s were named after the 87’s were done and that was long after the use of headcodes. I can remember seeing Class 86’s in the early 80’s sitting on Willesden with the headcode panel wound to OOOO.

I think plating over started at the same time as the TDM equipment was installed but I could be wrong.

Edited by jools1959

They started receiving the names in the late 1970s. So I would think that a few of the early namers would have still had the headcode panels, but that was about the time they were being plated over.

Some details here. As well as a picture of 86 227 with a plated over headcode in 1979.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_86

Jason

On the WCML, the first evidence of the "new" policy to apply loco names was on the prestigious, newest fleet of Class 87s. A random look in my reference library found some of these names appearing in late 1977. 

The Class 86/2s followed shortly after, with some "City of xxxx" plates appearing in late 1978. So it is conceivable that early recipients of names in the Class 86/2 fleet (and 86/1) still had "0000" headcodes. 

At present, I cannot get to my train spotting notes from Watford Junction in the 70s. I may have recorded headcode configurations.....

Cheers Keefer. There are some archive photos of its naming ceremony on prestonstation.org.uk complete with curtains over the plate. Funny thing is, the curtains look like they are made from the same orange material that covered the seats of 1st Class Blue and Grey Mark 3s!!

Also to add, two or three 86/2s got domino boxes, this was a rarity within the class as the majority went from OOOO to plated over marker lights, and I'm pretty sure they were all named at the time these few received the dominoes.

The domino 86s seem to be very rare. I've only seen a photo of 251 with them. I think that was unnamed on the photo.

There was more than one, I'd take a guess at three or four but not many more.

There was a thread on RMweb a while ago about this, boogered if I can find it though!

Shame really, IMHO the domino boxes looked pretty good, certainly suited class 81s to a tee.

• RMweb Gold

The other domino loco was 86235, and these were the only two.

https://flic.kr/p/mKAEZR

86251 was unique in being named with domino headcodes in 1980.

https://flic.kr/p/9suw5F

And I guess while we are on the cab front differences, the locos fitted with the off-set early headlights, from 1972, were

86004  (E3103), 86010  (E3104), 86016  (E3109), 86027  (E3110), 86030  (E3105), 86038  (E3108), 86101  (E3191, 86201), 86102  (E3150, 86202), 86103  (E3143, 86203), 86214  (E3106), 86253  (E3136, 86044)

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...