RMweb

phone and email scammers

raymw

I've had a pretty wide range of scams over the years - luckily I've not fallen for any. This morning I had a phone call, and it was an 'English sounding voice' that stated my washing machine insurance was due for renewal. I'm guessing they were after bank details. Here's a link, it seems they were not just picking on me, and it's quite recent on that number... https://who-called.co.uk/Number/02036329841

I've a call blocker, but they are quite capable of phishing numbers, and changing them. I block 'number with-held' too, which causes the local doctor's surgery problems. The telephone preference service is pretty hopeless too, these days.- no use for the indians, and the cowboys don't stay on line long enough to get their details.

I've had several calls recently about the Sky subscription I haven't got needing renewing. I ask them to confirm the account number - they promptly hang up. Numbers are always fake, and come up on 'who called me' website with similar calls to mine.

• RMweb Premium

Call guardian blocks all scams but allows wanted calls which have to be announced. Most service companies and doctors are aware of it and just announce who they are.

We have had 7 calls today from the number you have given, none of which caused the phone to ring.

I tried to find out about callguardian. Not much luck, wrt pricing. So, how much do they charge? Nothing on their web site, it seems they want to collect information.  http://www.callguardian.co.uk/#section-1 but their web-site is 3 years out of date and their link to 'silent call guard' is broken. Possibly like ad-blockers for web browsers, pay to keep ads out, advertisers pay more to let them through... Also found a link to an unrelated utube site at the bottom of their source code Have I got the correct url for the callguardian that is mentioned previously?.

This is the sort of machine I have - it was sold by BT, but works just fine with another provider. We haven't had one spammer, scammer, data miner or cold caller for 2 years now. If anyone who isn't in the 'approved' list calls, they have the option to either try and connect, or leave a message and we'll get back to them.  Our own recorded answering machine goes "Leave a message, or call our mobiles". That's it. It doesn't even give our first names out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-1700-Nuisance-Call-Blocker-Cordless-Home-Phone-with-Answer-Machine-Single/173473178569?epid=2255452098&hash=item2863cea3c9:g:YmQAAOSwK~ZbdCWS:rk:2:pf:0

• RMweb Premium

This is the sort of machine I have - it was sold by BT, but works just fine with another provider. We haven't had one spammer, scammer, data miner or cold caller for 2 years now. If anyone who isn't in the 'approved' list calls, they have the option to either try and connect, or leave a message and we'll get back to them.  Our own recorded answering machine goes "Leave a message, or call our mobiles". That's it. It doesn't even give our first names out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-1700-Nuisance-Call-Blocker-Cordless-Home-Phone-with-Answer-Machine-Single/173473178569?epid=2255452098&hash=item2863cea3c9:g:YmQAAOSwK~ZbdCWS:rk:2:pf:0

Also available in the BT shop

https://www.shop.bt.com/category/sound-and-vision,telephony,telephones/11206?q=Call%20guardian

You need caller ID enabled if you do not have it.

• RMweb Premium

I tried to find out about callguardian. Not much luck, wrt pricing. So, how much do they charge? Nothing on their web site, it seems they want to collect information. http://www.callguardian.co.uk/#section-1 but their web-site is 3 years out of date and their link to 'silent call guard' is broken. Possibly like ad-blockers for web browsers, pay to keep ads out, advertisers pay more to let them through... Also found a link to an unrelated utube site at the bottom of their source code Have I got the correct url for the callguardian that is mentioned previously?.

Call guardian as a phone feature rather than web site (see posts below), what you have linked to is similar to Truecaller for mobiles, something I have just deleted from my mobile

Edited by dhjgreen

I use CPR Callblocker Protect+ on my landline. Only allows preprogramed numbers through. My mobile only takes callers on my contacts list. If I haven't got your number you can't call me.

Which is how all phones, email addys etc. should be set up. Block all and the individual creates pinholes for those that they want to contact them.

If only you could do the same with the doorbell...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I use CPR Callblocker Protect+ on my landline. Only allows preprogramed numbers through. My mobile only takes callers on my contacts list. If I haven't got your number you can't call me.

A good theory, but the obvious problem is that genuine callers, can't call you from another number either.

My wife has a bad habit of either forgetting to recharge her phone, or leaving it at home. So if I had to pick her up after a doctors appointment or similar, she couldn't call me.

The fall out would be much worse, than 100 scammers!

Edit to add.

Comments such as 'Its not my fault you left your phone at home', strangely seem to make the problem worse!

Edited by kevinlms

My CPR call blocker blocks numbers, in groups if wanted. It came preloaded with 2000 known numbers, and easy to add up to 1500 others. Simply press the button on unit, or #2 from any phone, and it will block the displayed number. It has significantly reduced the problem, compared to what was happening before.  https://www.alzproducts.co.uk/call-blocker-shield - it works the opposite way to the protect plus, and suits my requirements. The price seems to be much less since I bought mine, maybe the BT call guardian service has had some effect.

• RMweb Gold

Just get a phone with an answering machine built-in (not expensive, my Panasonic one was under £30). Leave it switched on and don't pick up until you hear it's someone you want to talk to. 

Most Autodiallers recognise an active recorder and switch out of the call quicker than you could pick up anyway. Cuts out all the aforementioned crap, and no subscription to pay.You'll only get messages from rubbish crooks who can't afford a decent one :jester: . The only admin is to delete any messages now and again

I did get a couple hits of an "interesting" pre-recorded message last week, though, a rather amusing, and completely meaningless blend of English and Gibberish delivered in lord knows what accent (probably computer generated).

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Just get a phone with an answering machine built-in (not expensive, my Panasonic one was under £30). Leave it switched on and don't pick up until you hear it's someone you want to talk to.

I did that years ago with a tape-based answering machine. Message was "Please leave your message after the tone. Thank you."

Annoyed my parents intensely, who at the time were probably the main callers. "Are you there ... ?"

• RMweb Premium

Also available in the BT shop

https://www.shop.bt.com/category/sound-and-vision,telephony,telephones/11206?q=Call%20guardian

You need caller ID enabled if you do not have it.

Ah yes, Call Guardian and Caller ID.

A friend of mine has it and it causes no end of rants from one of her 'friends'. His home phone is normally blocked from sending his number, so although his number is stored in her Call Guardian, it obviously cannot pick up his number, so he gets the default message, each and every time.

So each time he rings he rants and raves about this faulty Call Guardian - fact is he rants & raves for ages, to just about anyone he calls, including apparently, all his small business customers!

She has told him many times to store her number into the speed dial of his phone, along with the override code. That way each time he calls, he won't get the Call Guardian. 'I've got too many phones, to be bothered storing your number, just turn the thing off', is his reply.

So now his too p****d off to call her. I've told her its probably no great loss!

• RMweb Gold

I did that years ago with a tape-based answering machine. Message was "Please leave your message after the tone. Thank you."

Annoyed my parents intensely, who at the time were probably the main callers. "Are you there ... ?"

That used to bug my (now) 90-year-old mother, but once I put my own OGM on, she was fine with it. I live alone and it's better she leaves a message if I'm in the shower or mowing the lawn etc and I can phone back as soon as I get it, rather than her having to call repeatedly until I am available.

For some reason, she almost never remembers I have a mobile unless it's something really important. Just as well, 'cos I usually can't remember where I left it.... :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Anyone else had an accident that wasn't their fault?

Brian

There was a great one of those on youtube a while back, in which the callee managed to persuade the caller that he had indeed been in an accident, and that he had been fatally decapitated. I can't find it at the moment though...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If only you could do the same with the doorbell...

You can. There are devices where the person outside can only ring the bell if they know the four-digit code. You can disable it for those times of day when you are expecting post, deliveries, etc.

I knew someone who said to the caller they were on their holiday in Australia.

That ended the call pretty quick.

I've told someone I was expecting their call about £10,000 compensation they are due to send me, which throws them right off!

While I don't particularly like people who waste time with these calls, I did have a thought about asking a simple mathmatical question ("I can only talk to you if you can answer, what is 2+2?"), then argue that the (hopefully correct) answer is incorrect!

I feel bad for the people who have to call, as I suspect many times they're not the scammer, just some person doing a job :(

• RMweb Premium

I feel bad for the people who have to call, as I suspect many times they're not the scammer, just some person doing a job :(

I don't. Perhaps it is the only job they can get. But the object of the call is to extract money from the victim, under false pretences. The hierarchy of the company structure is of no interest to me. They are just a bunch of lying thieves and so get no sympathy.

I politely tell them that I'm not interested at all. As they invariably talk back over me, I give them a serve usually and hang up. 

I was at an Indian business customer of mine once & he received one of these calls. He told them, that they were giving his country, a bad name.