Eurostar Class 373 model from 1990s

faa77

Years ago (probably 1995/96) I bought the Hornby Eurostar 4 unit pack (engine + dummy + 2 carriages and track). I think this was R1071? May be 1-3 years later I purchased a 2-carriage expansion pack (may be R4013C?). However, the carriages in the expansion pack were significantly taller than the original 4 unit pack and it looked silly. I am sure the real Eurostar 373 doesn't have such a height difference between carriages? I sold all of it a few years later.

I see they released a newer 4 unit pack and a 6 unit pack, along with first class carriage pack since I sold all my stuff.

Which item had the incorrect height/is there a product to avoid purchasing?

Do the more recent models (class 373, not 374) have a newer mould, or it's the same level of detail?

Edited by faa77

My mistake. Just did some Google-imaging and it seems I actually had the R647, HO gauge one! Problem solved!

Do R1071 (4 unit) and E2379 (6 unit) packs use the same tooling/have any difference besides the number of units?

• RMweb Premium

Sounds most likely you had a Jouef set. There were some detail differences - the roof on the Hornby one had some grill detail highlighted in silver around the pantographs, whilst the Jouef one was totally blue.

Edit: too slow!

Edited by njee20

Sounds most likely you had a Jouef set. There were some detail differences - the roof on the Hornby one had some grill detail highlighted in silver around the pantographs, whilst the Jouef one was totally blue.

Edit: too slow!

Sorry! Do you know if all the Hornby Eurostar 373 00 products have the same tooling? Or was there a re-tooling?

There seems to be several 4 unit OO gauge Eurostar 373 packs:

R1013

R1071

R3293

and a six-unit pack R2379

What is the difference in model quality? Does the fact R3293 has a "larger" model number imply it's newer and possibly better?

Edited by faa77

• RMweb Premium

Yes, a full rake comprises:

- 2 end coaches

- 2 centre-divisible coaches

- 2 buffets

- 12 ‘ordinary’ coaches (four 1st class, eight standard)

Hornby included the end coaches in the set, then released the centre coach pair. As you can see... that’s pretty useless in forming anything like a proper rake. Hurst models did/do conversions, but all based on cutting up existing coaches I believe. there are 3D prints on Shapeways, but they’re expensive.

Kato do a lovely N gauge one, however! Finished this a couple of weeks ago:

43921815070_db67b1f884_z.jpg

Edited by njee20
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 years later...
On 19/11/2018 at 18:19, Classsix T said:

I did buy the 4mm/ft versions of all the available product, ostensibly as a cabinet trinket for occasional pelt around the layout. The most annoying factor was the later additional coaches weren't an exact match in terms of paint hue to the earlier releases. No great shakes and I'm grateful for being able to have in miniature a train I've fondness for.

C6T

Which initial set did you have and which coaches expansion pack didnt match?