Non-GWR branch lines

mdvle

Alston (Newcastle & Carlisle/NER), Rothbury (NBR) and Middleton in Teesdale (NER) are three of my favourite 'would-do' 'Northern Ashburtons'.  All, I think, have been done before, some more than once, which tends to demonstrate their suitability.     

post-25673-0-67537000-1542902551.jpg

post-25673-0-36036400-1542902594_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-08855800-1542902619.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm not into 00, but I do keep an eye on what is on offer in r-t-r form for Southern modellers, and they aren't offered an embarrassment of riches in terms of branch-line coaching-stock for any era pre-BR.

Southern Railway branches had exclusively pre-grouping stock, except for "through coaches" from London expresses, although some of that stock was modified by the SR to keep it reasonably suitable for the traffic. I think there are one or two coaches available for the ex-LSWR area.

It isn’t quite that bad, Kevin. I have a Kernow gate-stock set in Maunsell green, as well as a Northstar set (ebay) whose prototype is kosher but I cannot recall. Then there are the excellent Hornby Maunsell rebuilds, avaiable in multiple liveries including both olive and malachite. Among those I could run a reasonable 1930s branch service, I think. But stockpiling Hornby 1926 Maunsell BCKs to represent the through coach from London would be an advantage. There were only 10 in that batch, and Hornby made three - 6571/2/4.

• RMweb Premium

An interesting model would be the former Midland Railway Ilkston Town branch. While only short, because IIRC the town originally opposed a railway being built in the town & so it was bypassed. Later they realised their mistake and a connecting branch was built.

While the bulk of the services was the obvious shuttle, it had through trains that reversed there. There are several unusual features, not least a bay platform, from which passenger train could not start from! While a fair size, I'm sure a condensed version could maintain interest.

Bob Essery did a write up in Model Railways 1993 January issue.

It isn’t quite that bad, Kevin. I have a Kernow gate-stock set in Maunsell green, as well as a Northstar set (ebay) whose prototype is kosher but I cannot recall. Then there are the excellent Hornby Maunsell rebuilds, avaiable in multiple liveries including both olive and malachite. Among those I could run a reasonable 1930s branch service, I think. But stockpiling Hornby 1926 Maunsell BCKs to represent the through coach from London would be an advantage. There were only 10 in that batch, and Hornby made three - 6571/2/4.

That first set you mention (and the least said about them the better) is intended to represent the vehicles only from 1933, IIRC.  I cannot recall the rebuild date of the LSWR conversions portrayed by the excellent Hornby coaches, but I think again it's the 1930s.  This conforms with the general trend dictated by the need for costly injection moulding tools to cover the one condition that lasted into BR, generally resulting in reasonable Grouping coverage from the late '30s onward.

Other railways apart from the GWR had branch lines but by and large they were pretty boring.

That is a very narrow, stereotypical point of view.

There are lots of branch lines with unusual workings & structures because of their histories, often because a particular business or industry was located there.

I visited the preserved railway in Rushden, Northants recently. Its station building was certainly very interesting. Street level access was via a staircase in an arch in the middle of the platform building complex.

Edited by Pete the Elaner

• RMweb Premium

A place that always intrigues me is Dawsholm in Glasgow - a classic compact urban terminus - squeezed onto a shelf above the River Kelvin and abutting a spectacular aqueduct of the Forth and Clyde Canal. 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=55.8915&lon=-4.3010&layers=170&b=1

There is a siding crossing the Kelvin on a viaduct to serve a paper works, another line crossing a second viaduct to disappear conveniently into a tunnel, and a line to the gasworks passing under an arch of the aqueduct. Most improbably of all there is a major engine shed which supplied locos for all the Caledonian's West Glasgow suburban lines, and for a while was the home of the four preserved Scottish pre-Grouping locos.

The passenger station had a short life, closing in 1908; but I'm sure we could appeal to some counterfactual history to justify its portrayal in later eras.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Amazing place! But, the station seems to have no buildings or shelter .......... and my limited experience suggests that its cold in Glasgow in winter.

The map is from many years after it closed to passengers. Railscot https://www.railscot.co.uk/locations/D/Dawsholm_1st/ says "The station had an island platform with a building at the north end and a glazed canopy running down the platform.", although I ,must admit that these are not apparent even on earlier maps.

A place that always intrigues me is Dawsholm in Glasgow - a classic compact urban terminus - squeezed onto a shelf above the River Kelvin and abutting a spectacular aqueduct of the Forth and Clyde Canal. 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=55.8915&lon=-4.3010&layers=170&b=1

There is a siding crossing the Kelvin on a viaduct to serve a paper works,

Sort of off topic (so what else is new), but to me the sidings serving the paper works are the most interesting thing.

I would guess the real paperworks would have building that would be far too tall for model purposes but the track layout of that industry could be interesting to try and see if workable with shorter buildings.

• RMweb Premium

What about a branch in a city?

The Harborne Railway which was nominally independent but operated by the LNWR.

It turned south off the Birmingham to Wolves line between Monument Lane & Soho immediately crossing the adjacent BCN on a skew bridge.

It was initially quite busy with plenty of passenger trains to/from New Street as well as plenty of goods once Chad Valley toy factory opened

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/harborne/.

A bit limited for RTR stock though as only the (afaik) Coal Tank suitable early on.

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This is one branch line I did earlier (1998)  SR/LBSCR

`Devils Dyke Branch`

post-17779-0-68002900-1542985106_thumb.jpg

A SR pull-push loco for the branch

post-17779-0-03205100-1542985125_thumb.jpg

and it`s trip out to Scaleforum....

...with it`s own unique railcar....

....... but then I reverted back to GWR  :nono:

• Like 4

Very nice!

This is the one British BLT that I actually started in 4mm, an EM version, which got as far as track laid, then went off the boil and languished in the shed for twenty years before being broken-up.

It’s a kind of very interesting boring railway, so I can see why you chose it.

Absolutely!

One thing I am noticing so far, not having had the time to look at all the suggestions yet, is the number of non-GWR places where the turntable is not either missing or optional - without the turntable you can't model the branch.

A bit limited for RTR stock though as only the (afaik) Coal Tank suitable early on.

Sometimes just the track layout, or the atmosphere, will be enough and running non-prototypical stock will be an acceptable compromise.

Of course, as more and more prototypes seem to be knocked off the wish lists, the appropriate stock may come along anyway.

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely!

One thing I am noticing so far, not having had the time to look at all the suggestions yet, is the number of non-GWR places where the turntable is not either missing or optional - without the turntable you can't model the branch.

Sometimes just the track layout, or the atmosphere, will be enough and running non-prototypical stock will be an acceptable compromise.

Of course, as more and more prototypes seem to be knocked off the wish lists, the appropriate stock may come along anyway.

This rather nice bridge over Park Hill Road just north of the station still exists to carry a footpath on the trackbed:

https://goo.gl/maps/waVq72sZmbE2

Keith

You can walk much of the route along the Harborne Walkway

The mid canal pier at the junction is still there but little else at that location:

https://goo.gl/maps/B5nYAuXxxUs

Edited by melmerby

Sort of off topic (so what else is new), but to me the sidings serving the paper works are the most interesting thing.

I would guess the real paperworks would have building that would be far too tall for model purposes but the track layout of that industry could be interesting to try and see if workable with shorter buildings.

If you like paper mills can I suggest Penicuik:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=55.8250&lon=-3.2186&layers=168&b=1

There is actually a passenger terminus with goods shed, coal yard, turntable and engine shed wedged in between those three paper mills!

The Disused Stations web site shows the evolution of the site quite well: http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/p/penicuik/index.shtml

A favorite of mine is the LNWR/LMS Delph branch 1851 - 1955 with the adjacent Bailey Mill.

I'm doing this, set in the 1950's (but under a different name), in P4. Track laid, station, goods shed and coal chutes done, but no mill, as yet. I post on my blog "Delph" on this site.

Dave.

Ongar was (and is) a lovely station, and had a lot of the model clichés. The engine shed was in an unusual location though, being on a loop next to the run round.

Pick the right period and you can run steam freight and electric tube trains next to each other on a pretty traditional BLT.

At one time it also had a crossover halfway along the single platform allowing two trains to use it.

It turned south off the Birmingham to Wolves line between Monument Lane & Soho immediately crossing the adjacent BCN on a skew bridge.

It was initially quite busy with plenty of passenger trains to/from New Street as well as plenty of goods once Chad Valley toy factory opened

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/harborne/.

Keith

Again you run straight into the lack of RTR stock.   The advantage of GWR branches is that they were pretty standardised as regards motive power,  45XX came pre WW1 and the RTR version in 1923, 14XX circa 1932 and the 64XX around the same era which leaves the small panniers and Metros as the main gaps. I believe some of the 180 psi large panniers were Yellow route and branch capable and Post 1951  57XX were cleared for most branches so by mid 50s most branch power is available RTR.   The other railways had no such standardisation and on the Southern  LSWR branches remained steadfastly LSWR, which is fine with 02, M7, Adams Radial and Beattie Well tanks available RTR and G6 easily bodgeable from the 02.

LBSCR banches remained LBSCR which is OK if you model the ones operated by Terriers, but otherwise there is just one heavy 0-6-2T and the E2 goods/ shunting loco RTR.  There were only 50 Terriers but 125 D1 0-4-2Ts.

The other railways are even worse off, LNER wise there is the GER J15 for GER branches but no 2-4-2Tanks or J69 Tanks (Ok GF did one n N) and the N7 is a bit big for most branches and I'm not sure they are out RTR yet. There is an NB 0-6-0T but thats about it, The GCR seems ignored small loco wise apart from the J11, the GNR has a coupe of Shunting tanks J50/52 they didn't generally have balanced wheels so could not run passenger trains while the N2 is quite a big beast for a small BLT, the GNoS has been ignored completely and the LNER V1 /V3 is a big beast and the L1 was post war,  OK J39s and K1s were found at Alstone but thats hardly AShburton.

LMS wise its if anything worse. Edit Apart from the L&Y 2-4-2T. No LNWR 2-4-2T  just the small wheeled "Coal Tank", No Midland 0-4-4T but there is a 1F 0-6-0T which did some branch passenger work ,  

The Caley 0-4-4T is promised I believe, as is the Jumbo, Jumbo and one brake comp is the Killin Branch train before BR std 4 2-6-4Ts took over, Nothing Highland at all unless you count the Jinty used as branch line power in the 1930s (until the GW 16XX comes along) Nothing GSWR, no pre ww2 2-6-2Ts just the large 2-6-4Ts which were more suburban passenger locos than Branch stock especially before DMUs came in.  Its pretty bleak away from he GW.

You could model most of the locos used on the ex GW Ashburton branch or the far more interesting Tavistock branch by changing number plates on RTR stock. (90% of folk can't tell a 45XX from a 44XX anyway) you could even rebuild a 45XX with smaller wheels etc as a 44XX or build a K's kit a lot easier than building a MR 0-4-4T for instance.  And any one of around 20 locos could be found on the Tavistock branch in a month or so, Laira based 64xx,14XX, 45XX, 57XX hauling Auto trailers and B sets (Readily available on eBay at £5 a throw).

Its probably easier to build a completely fictitious branch operated by a completely fictitious Col Stephens style company if you want an "Authentic" feel to a BLT than to build an LNER or LMS BLT.  (Anyway that's my excuse for my Isle of Skye Railway plan)

Edited by DavidCBroad

• RMweb Premium

Again you run straight into the lack of RTR stock.   The advantage of GWR branches is that they were pretty standardised as regards motive power,  45XX came pre WW1 and the RTR version in 1923, 14XX circa 1932 and the 64XX around the same era which leaves the small panniers and Metros as the main gaps. I believe some of the 180 psi large panniers were Yellow route and branch capable and Post 1951  57XX were cleared for most branches so by mid 50s most branch power is available RTR.   The other railways had no such standardisation and on the Southern  LSWR branches remained steadfastly LSWR, which is fine with 02, M7, Adams Radial and Beattie Well tanks available RTR and G6 easily bodgeable from the 02.

LBSCR banches remained LBSCR which is OK if you model the ones operated by Terriers, but otherwise there is just one heavy 0-6-2T and the E2 goods/ shunting loco RTR.  There were only 50 Terriers but 125 D1 0-4-2Ts.

The other railways are even worse off, LNER wise there is the GER J15 for GER branches but no 2-4-2Tanks or J69 Tanks (Ok GF did one n N) and the N7 is a bit big for most branches and I'm not sure they are out RTR yet. There is an NB 0-6-0T but thats about it, The GCR seems ignored small loco wise apart from the J11, the GNR has a coupe of Shunting tanks J50/52 they didn't generally have balanced wheels so could not run passenger trains while the N2 is quite a big beast for a small BLT, the GNoS has been ignored completely and the LNER V1 /V3 is a big beast and the L1 was post war,  OK J39s and K1s were found at Alstone but thats hardly AShburton.

LMS wise its if anything worse.  No LNWR 2-4-2T  just the small wheeled "Coal Tank", No Midland 0-4-4T but there is a 1F 0-6-0T which did some branch passenger work ,  

The Caley 0-4-4T is promised I believe, as is the Jumbo, Jumbo and one brake comp is the Killin Branch train before BR std 4 2-6-4Ts took over, Nothing Highland at all unless you count the Jinty used as branch line power in the 1930s (until the GW 16XX comes along) Nothing GSWR, no pre ww2 2-6-2Ts just the large 2-6-4Ts which were more suburban passenger locos than Branch stock especially before DMUs came in.  Its pretty bleak away from he GW.

You could model most of the locos used on the ex GW Ashburton branch or the far more interesting Tavistock branch by changing number plates on RTR stock. (90% of folk can't tell a 45XX from a 44XX anyway) you could even rebuild a 45XX with smaller wheels etc as a 44XX or build a K's kit a lot easier than building a MR 0-4-4T for instance.  And any one of around 20 locos could be found on the Tavistock branch in a month or so, Laira based 64xx,14XX, 45XX, 57XX hauling Auto trailers and B sets (Readily available on eBay at £5 a throw).

Its probably easier to build a completely fictitious branch operated by a completely fictitious Col Stephens style company if you want an "Authentic" feel to a BLT than to build an LNER or LMS BLT.  (Anyway that's my excuse for my Isle of Skye Railway plan)

Strange! There are many instances of LMS/LNER branches, appearing in magazines going back decades. Many such branches aren't boring rural lines with Autocoaches or B sets & 1 or 2 freight service a day. A lot of the freight services on LMS/LNER urban branches, could be run with various 0-6-0 tender locomotives.

Please stop trying to tell us, that only a GWR branch can be easily modelled, its simply not true. A lot of us, aren't interested in a 'typical and standardised' GWR branch, for ourselves. I have no objection if that is your choice, but it isn't mine.

If you like paper mills can I suggest Penicuik:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=55.8250&lon=-3.2186&layers=168&b=1

There is actually a passenger terminus with goods shed, coal yard, turntable and engine shed wedged in between those three paper mills!

The Disused Stations web site shows the evolution of the site quite well: http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/p/penicuik/index.shtml

Yeah, Penicuik is a great little prototype. I have boards ready for a model based on Penicuik - but have done so for the past two years and made no other progress so far  :scratchhead:

Another one, slightly further down the Esk, is Polton;

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=55.8718&lon=-3.1379&layers=170&b=1

It's even smaller than Penicuik, with a through goods line to the paper mill behind the platform, and an interesting reversal through the small goods yard to a works. Looks like Iain Rice did the planning for it, though there is not quite a three-way...  All in a heavily wooded valley, with a nice river in front of it...   I've wanted to build this one for at least 15 years now. I think it would work brilliantly in 'S' -- but that would be a very major commitment, and I need to figure out how to model faster than a lethargic snail first :-\

Both Polton and Penicuik would have been served by the V1/3's in later years, or the C15/16s (aka NBR M/L) in earlier days...  goods presumably on the ubiquitous J33/J34/J36.  In 4mm, RTR now covers the LNER/BR needs fairly well, but NBR times would need a fair bit of kits/scratch building I think. 

• Like 1

Ramsgate Harbour is an interesting terminus.  Double track, two main platforms plus two bays and an engine-release line. Turntable at the end of the main platforms.  Track enters tunnel, into the sea cliff, over the station throat and there are carriage sidings in front of where the fiddle yard would be on a model. It's the ultimate modeller's BLT brought to you in stark reality by the LCDR.