ECM Motors

Digging out some old kits from years ago to rebuild, I still have some ECM can type motors,does anyone know much about them as there doesn't seem to be much on here. one is in a M&L manor which is a lovely loco, the motor seems willing. im guessing its a fairly early modern motor as opposed to the old XO4 and Romford Bulldogs we used to fit, Ive a Ks 63xx mogul fitted with very early Kean Portescap. Im guessing the ECM is similar era 1979/80 ish. Is it worth upgrading or will they be fine?

I for one regretted the loss of the ECM range. They could be fitted with a small adaptor plate which made them pretty much a straight mechanical swap for XO4/ Romford Bulldog motors. OK, you then had to solder the power leads, but that too was simple enough. Their era was indeed late 70s/early 80s. I wouldn't be in a hurry to upgrade if the ones you have are still working :)

If you are rebuilding old kits it may be worth thinking how far you want to go, the ECM can motors were better than some of its predecessors, but when compared to the Kean Portescap its not in the same league, like comparing an old Skoda with a Rolls Royce, also I guess the latter might work a bit better if a decent chassis was used

If you are upgrading kits I would suggest using a modern gearbox and can motor, ensuring the wheels and chassis of said kit is also up to modern standards 

Edit

I remember what a friend once said  "a model will be a good as its weakest link"  Its pointless overengineering one area whilst leaving others perhaps less well enginered, find the level you are happy with and build to that, good luck

Edited by hayfield

The ECM motor was good in it's day, probably as good as the cheap Ebay motors today but there are better motors out there these days.

If you have a good ECM one leave it alone and it should last for years as the brushes are made to last.

Dave Franks.