"BR brown" livery?

faa77

A good description of the history of these wagons can be found at https://www.ltsv.com/w_profile_032.php.  

About halfway down that page, it states "All BAAs and BABs were delivered in freight brown but from 1979 onwards, most were repainted in the new Railfreight livery of black with red ends. Where coil cradles were fitted, these were usually red too".

The first batch from 1972 seemed to enter traffic before TOPS codes were established, but subsequent batches would have carried TOPS codes, so you're probably looking at 1972 - 1979 at which point the livery would gradually have been replaced.  Whether there were any brown ones still in traffic by the late 1980s I don't know but by that time, it probably would be difficult to distinguish between brown and rust.

In general terms, the answer to your question is probably the early 1970s to early 1980s.

A good description of the history of these wagons can be found at https://www.ltsv.com/w_profile_032.php.  

About halfway down that page, it states "All BAAs and BABs were delivered in freight brown but from 1979 onwards, most were repainted in the new Railfreight livery of black with red ends. Where coil cradles were fitted, these were usually red too".

The first batch from 1972 seemed to enter traffic before TOPS codes were established, but subsequent batches would have carried TOPS codes, so you're probably looking at 1972 - 1979 at which point the livery would gradually have been replaced.  Whether there were any brown ones still in traffic by the late 1980s I don't know but by that time, it probably would be difficult to distinguish between brown and rust.

In general terms, the answer to your question is probably the early 1970s to early 1980s.

Cool, thank you for that.

Spot the screw coupling on the left hand end!

When I passed my repaint to Bachmann for photographic use in their catalogue I thought they would have used the end which still had the tension lock.

• Like 4

When I passed my repaint to Bachmann for photographic use in their catalogue I thought they would have used the end which still had the tension lock.

When Bachmann announced the BR cattle wagon, they used a photo of the Airfix/Dapol kit.

They are not alone. A photo of the prototype has even been used....  (Ideally one wouldn't be able to tell the difference!)

• 2 months later...