RMweb

Class 313’s at Hitchin

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I was travelling back from London on Monday afternoon and I noticed two Class 313’s stabled on the sidings just north of the station by the Cambridge line which I thought was unusual as I didn’t think they travelled north of Stevenage or Welwyn Garden City.

With the Class 315’s now heading for a date with the scrap man, are these two the start of the 313 flood?

• RMweb Premium

I believe they still occasionally make it north of Welwyn Garden City.  None of the GN ones have been withdrawn yet although it will be soon as the 717's are starting to come on stream.  Numerous rumours going around that a few will be heading to the South Coast to make up the numbers and as a source of spare parts...

• RMweb Gold

There used to be a service from Letchworth to Moorgate via Hertford North which was 313's. This started in the late 70's an meant that the DMU's that worked Huntingdon to Hertford North could be terminated at Hitchin.

313's worked this for quite a few years, (possibly still do ?) 

• RMweb Premium

There are reports in Modern railways this month that retirements of 313's have started.   GTR are hoping to have several 717's in service this month so no doubt there is pressure on siding space at Welwyn.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

313047 is the only one definitely taken out of service at the moment that I know of, though 057 may also be out of traffic. 717 introduction is meant to start on Monday, but don't get your hopes up!

Edit - those 313s are stabled at Hitchin up yard during the day as a couple of sidings are out of use at Hertford North at the moment. They run ECS from Hertford via Letchworth about 11am and leave about 3pm. There's some overnight workings too, but I don't believe there are currently any booked 313 workings north of Stevenage. Bit of a pain as my train to work at weekends used to be a 313 from Letchworth to Hornsey, but it now runs empty to Stevenage to pick up the diagram there.

Edited by 5944

Forty odd years in service. I am inspired to give song

Quite forgettable,

That's what you are

Quite forgettable,

Tho near or far.

The smell of sweat that clings to me,

Due the doors that opened while at speed

Never before,

Hopefully never again,

Ch.

Oh great you've made me feel old

As a Hertford boy I saw them introduced and as a 11/12 year old I even wrote a poem in praise of the 313's

Sliding doors and silently gliding...something along those lines

At least I still get to see them running down here but 42 years where did they go

Colin

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Silently gliding?!?  Have you experienced one on full chat (that's err a whole 75mph!) along the Coastway West?

The empties back from Portsmouth Harbour at about 23:45 can be a particularly lively ride!

• Like 1

Silently gliding?!?  Have you experienced one on full chat (that's err a whole 75mph!) along the Coastway West?

The empties back from Portsmouth Harbour at about 23:45 can be a particularly lively ride!

p

Remember we had been used to Cravens :-)

And there were track improvement also at that time

And they were new then

So we had a different perspective lol

Colin

• Like 1

In the run-up to the electric service in autumn 1976, I bought decent recording gear and got out whenever I could to capture the sounds of what would soon be gone. I was at Brookmans Park on the last Friday evening rush, as was another guy with expensive Sony gear. One of my morning sessions resulted in capturing a spine tingling Deltic vocal as a bonus.

On the following Monday trip to work, the ride was so quiet that everyone was speaking in whispers, as in a library! Comparing with more recent experience, I'm convinced the gearsets have got noisier over the years. 

The responsiveness of the airbag suspension to passengers boarding was also remarkable, with a comfortable ride, and I anticipate the 717's will provide a step change - backwards - in this regard. Wonder what the ride quality down to Moorgate will be like?

The Nim.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

If the 717's have the same seats as the 700's then awful would be my guess.

Meanwhile in a surprising move, the Southern 313's have now started to be outshopped with on board wi-fi!

There were two 313's in the sidings on the north side of Hitchin today, pantographs up so I assume they were in service. Whatever you think of them, back when they first appeared on the Hertford loop they were the best thing since sliced bread, not as much fun as the Brush type 2's but the Craven's were no comparison.........well that's until the autumn and the wrong type of leaves and the fun getting out of Winchmore Hill up to Grange Park. Any slipping and all cut out, I suppose that they must have found a solution, sand or did they do anything about individual motor cut-outs?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You can only cut out each motor coach individually, so cutting out the equipment means the unit is on half power. Sanders were only fitted a few years ago, about 7-8 I think. Don't know how they lasted so long without them, the amount of sand used is incredible!

My late father used to work at Potters Bar, and on Saturdays I used to go in with him. I watched the transition to an electrified railway from the industrial estate car park, and one of his colleagues used to bring me copies of the "Livewire" news sheet issued by BR every few months.

I had one or two trips into KX on the Cravens units, but we had them at the bottom of our garden on the St Albans branch line, so I was accustomed to their, er, atmosphere...

Once the 313s were introduced on the "Inner Suburban", I would sometimes scrounge some train fare from the old man and head off to KX of Moorgate (for Liverpool Street) for a few hours of watching the trains prior to returning to Potters Bar. The sense of speed an rapid acceleration (and the newness) made a lasting impression on me, but then I was an impressionable school boy.

My other occasional treat was a trip to Royston on the new Class 312 units to see the refurbished Class 101s used on the Cambridge shuttles.....

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I can relate to EddieK’s final comments. I commuted early 80’s from WGC/Welwyn North and my abiding memories are of fast and largely efficient and comfortable service. I’d love to have 312/3’s available in 4mm or 2mm, I’d do blue grey electric Minories in a heartbeat!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

313047 is now back in service due to the delayed introduction of the 717s. A few are in store at Dollands Moor and Cricklewood. Just three more sets to be delivered. Into service next year... Which month, no idea!

EddieK, you're not after a driving coach as another garden ornament are you?!

• RMweb Gold

p

Remember we had been used to Cravens :-)

And there were track improvement also at that time

And they were new then

So we had a different perspective lol

Colin

Any train is an improvement on a Cravens. We had the power twins on the Preston - Colne run. No escape from the deafening rattles.

313047 is now back in service due to the delayed introduction of the 717s. A few are in store at Dollands Moor and Cricklewood. Just three more sets to be delivered. Into service next year... Which month, no idea!

EddieK, you're not after a driving coach as another garden ornament are you?!

5944 I am pleased to report that our driveway is so tight that there is no easy way to bring any rail vehicle in. Also, the local council Listed Building Police might have words with me if I were to do so....

I can relate to EddieK’s final comments. I commuted early 80’s from WGC/Welwyn North and my abiding memories are of fast and largely efficient and comfortable service. I’d love to have 312/3’s available in 4mm or 2mm, I’d do blue grey electric Minories in a heartbeat!

When first introduced, I recall that the intention was to offer a London Underground style service, at least on the Inner Suburban. No need to consult the timetable, just turn up and a train would be there within a few minutes.

If 4mm scale 312 and 313 were available, just think what a layout could be done, especially with the promised Accurascale Deltic as well....

When first introduced, I recall that the intention was to offer a London Underground style service, at least on the Inner Suburban. No need to consult the timetable, just turn up and a train would be there within a few minutes.

If 4mm scale 312 and 313 were available, just think what a layout could be done, especially with the promised Accurascale Deltic as well....

I've got the launch publicity somewhere upstairs, I think one every 20 minutes was intended. This was reduced for a long period when BR was struggling, but restored when recent years saw the traffic recover.

Thameslink has well and truly thrown that out the window, at least as far as my two closest stations are concerned. Now there are two per hour (off-peak), spaced about 15 minutes apart. In this situation I'd tend to bet only on the first one, with the second in reserve in case things went awry.

Even when new, I thought to myself that a really nice 313 model would be irresistible, even though it would never see use on any layout I'd be likely to build. As for 312's, good scope for a whistling sound project!

The Nim.