Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

Ade, a rivet counters comment here, but why would you need an LMS non common user Meat van to deliver meat to a deep GWR station like Malmsbury? Surely meat was sourced locally and if more was required it would be delivered by a GWR Mica meat van?

Nice model, but out of context for a GWR branch terminus in my opinion.  

• RMweb Gold

Simply like the look of the wagon is the easy answer. Already have a MICA van for prototypical trains.

The layout will eventually go out into the garden for some 40 feet. So I will be running some non GWR stock as a bit of variety.  

Cheers, Ade.

Edited by Adrian Stevenson
Spelling
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold
On 15/01/2023 at 16:16, Adrian Stevenson said:

I did discover that the sprung buffers won’t work as supplied. The securing nuts are not large enough being smaller than the holes in the bufferbeam. So the buffers would simply fall out.

Having built one of these myself, (as I'm sure have many others), I feel I should point out that the nuts aren't retained by the buffer beam, but by the buffer housing. I can confirm that the buffers do not fall out, not requiring any mods to the kit.

I note though that the roof is a bit warped! Hope you've been able to sort it out...

Actually I see from the latest pic that you have!

Edited by Nickey Line
Afterthought...
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Nickey Line said:

Having built one of these myself, (as I'm sure have many others), I feel I should point out that the nuts aren't retained by the buffer beam, but by the buffer housing. I can confirm that the buffers do not fall out, not requiring any mods to the kit.

I missed this comment originally but agree with this. Having said that Parkside's standard buffers which are (I think) meant to be generic RCH, are a bit clunky compared to, say, Slaters and I usually replace them with something more typical of for each wagon.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I missed this comment originally but agree with this. Having said that Parkside's standard buffers which are (I think) meant to be generic RCH, are a bit clunky compared to, say, Slaters and I usually replace them with something more typical of for each wagon.

I think (and I maybe wrong!) that most of Parkside's opens and vans have BR 4-ribbed buffers, which may not always be prototypical; however, this brake van has a representation of self-contained buffers which, as far as I can tell, are a pretty good match for the prototype.

Edited by Nickey Line
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Nickey Line said:

I think (and I maybe wrong!) that most of Parkside's opens and vans have BR 4-ribbed buffers, which may not always be prototypical; however, this brake van has a representation of self-contained buffers which, as far as I can tell, are a pretty good match for the prototype.

Yes agreed - i was looking at the meat wagon and thats the type that come with the GWR wagons and I've usually fettled a bit, if not replaced!

This is not, admittedly, a major issue!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...