Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adrian.. I've just found this thread, I have to say, I love the 7mm locos! Your weathering is very subtle and brings everyting nicely together. 

I've personally not done much modeling recently, but looking at your pictures might just give me the kick I need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Ade,

Cab is something like this - you can see the driver would never see out if the raised bits werent there.

Edit: if i remember correctly, this brass model already had the unneccessary drop in the middle which I didnt fill but in reality (based on 5572 plus 45xx pics) was just a flat floor with a raised wooden plank/box either side. The drivers' side ran full length, the firemans stopped short of the door

20221025_155006.jpg.096b5203c4154ef75cc4ca32dfeee2c1.jpg20221025_153928734.jpg.52c8ea74b84c3406fd503052eeece9b5.jpg20221025_154417613.jpg.150a3f32bad3bd14073bd33b4681b62d.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone for the kind comments and likes 👍 

Hi Ian, thanks for the pics of the cab. I would not have known about that until you mentioned it.

Got a laser cut garden shed kit coming. There was a shed structure used to house the pump for the water tower. Will save me having to scratch build one. 

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The shed kit arrived yesterday. So today I have built it up and painted it. Flat brown followed by a dry brush over in grey, then another dry brush with sooty black weathering powder. Being a simple structure it went together easily with no issues. I do like these laser cut kits.

The shed was the pump house for the water tower. Pipe was bent  up from some brass rod. Need to paint this next. 
It is just plonked on the layout at the moment. Final position will be determined once the engine shed and water tower are in place. Then the path and weeds around the base can then be added.
Usual disclaimer applies. 
Cheers, Ade.

FE66AB75-BCDC-4564-9A7A-AE6F5706E736.jpeg

2D762817-C6FB-4311-AD77-3838AA28FFA7.jpeg

A359B367-BB75-49B2-999F-1C743592DCEF.jpeg

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Next to the pump house there was a small fenced enclosure. It has an  open entrance way facing the track. I am not certain what it was used for? Clearly there is something piled up inside it. Maybe ash from the locos given it is situated near the engine shed? There is no mention of it in the book about the line.

So I have been using the model makers friend, the good old coffee stirring sticks to make it.

Like the pump house, just plonked in place at the moment. Got to make the corner posts etc.

F5B75EAB-E84B-463C-BF6F-C1F200F9AF38.jpeg

A4B07B32-7D51-42FB-9BDB-9C321F358CC4.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

On 19/11/2022 at 17:03, Adrian Stevenson said:

Next to the pump house there was a small fenced enclosure. It has an  open entrance way facing the track. I am not certain what it was used for? Clearly there is something piled up inside it. Maybe ash from the locos given it is situated near the engine shed? There is no mention of it in the book about the line.

So I have been using the model makers friend, the good old coffee stirring sticks to make it.

Like the pump house, just plonked in place at the moment. Got to make the corner posts etc.

F5B75EAB-E84B-463C-BF6F-C1F200F9AF38.jpeg

A4B07B32-7D51-42FB-9BDB-9C321F358CC4.jpeg

Hi Ade,trackwork on the first photo seems to be a mix of chairs and spikes,on what looks suspiciously like FB rail.I know there were several cost saving exercises during war time,but not heard of this.

ATB

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Back home from a very nice trip to Warley today. Had a great day. Spent a little more than I had budgeted for, but nothing new there!

As you may know Mike Fenton’s book on Malmesbury Line has been my Bible while building the layout. I had heard a few years ago he was doing a new book about the line. So I was very pleasantly surprised to find it on sale today. Lots of new photos in it so I can see this being my New Testament!

Modelu was always going to be one of my priority stalls to visit. They had some very good offers on today which were packs of ex display figures. Three in a pack for £11.25 A great saving as a single figure is usually £7.50. Plus if you spent £50 there was a further 15% off. So I got 6 packs. All they require is a quick removal of old glue off the feet. I also got two packs of two roller round point rodding stools. I am going to use 20 thou brass rod for the rods themselves. Looking forwards to adding these to the layout.

Other purchases were a printed totem sign for the cabin and a pair of the new working buckeye couplings to fit to the A3 and one of the teak carriages.

Usual disclaimers apply. 

Will add some pics tomorrow. Some nice O gauge layouts at the show too.

Cheers, Ade.

FEB41E35-ACD1-4E85-99EC-1A25F9DBF41C.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Agree 1