Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

• RMweb Gold

Thank you but my secret to shading is really very simple. When painting 1/100th scale WW2 wargames figures and tanks I was introduced to a shading wash marketed by Citadel paints. As they make paints designed for the fantasy wargames market the colours all have weird names! The one I use is called “Agrax Earthshade”. It is a very thin water based dark brown wash of watery consistency. Take a brush full of this and paint it all over the figure. It will run into all the details on the figure such as the folds in the clothes. As the wash is so thin capillary action does most of the work. If there is too much you just touch it with an unloaded brush and that will suck it up. Naturally it will darken the overall base colour so allow for that when initially painting your figure. If desired you can dry brush the highlights  in a lighter shade of the base colour to make the tops of any creases in the clothes stand out like the light is hitting them.

This shading wash is also great for weathering locos such as on bufferbeams where it will accumulate around any rivet detail. Also great on wagons where it will run between planks etc.
Cheers, Ade.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi,

Point rodding looks great - along with your figures.

I wouldn't want to do it after ballasting - I had enough trouble with it without the ballast! Are you scraping away patches or going straight on top?

all the best,

James

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter, the Mogo was vac fitted as far as I know so yes.

Done a bit more to the brake van. Handrails and buffers fitted.

I did discover that the sprung buffers won’t work as supplied. The securing nuts are not large enough being smaller than the holes in the bufferbeam. So the buffers would simply fall out. So I made a shim from scrap brass fret drilled to size and secured behind the bufferbeam. Problem solved and the buffers now work as intended and don’t fall out. The old modellers maxim of don’t throw anything away proves it worth again.

21235734-87CE-4B36-8F1C-55B867177FBF.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...