Lumden? West Yorkshire in the early 1960s

Daveloco1

• RMweb Premium

I hope you enjoy Giggleswick Dave, I grew up there, which is where I got my modelling ideas from.  Long Preston village Hall has some sort of coffee morning most Saturday mornings in aid of something or other.   The model is usually on display with the curtains drawn and the lights on.   If you are there ask for Janet or Robin Benzie and mention my name.     I haven't looked in detail at the interchange but I used a section of mixed gauge track as a shard track on a run round loop with a transloading platform inside the loop.   All modellers licence but the mixed gauge track always drew attention.   I built the 'point' at one end and a friend built the other end.   He was most miffed when mine worked without any form of moving track and his needed a point motor.   I have somewhere got some photos of it but would have to email them as I can't post them for copyright reasons.

By the way I hope that you don't feel that the thread is being hijacked.   

All the best

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 1

Jamie

No problems, I'll try and drop in at the village hall.

David

Photos of Peckett, somewhat modified from original model, straight handrail to smokebox, new handrails to side tanks, lights, smoke and lifting rings to tank (on reflection they look a bit heavy).

Needs a workshop visit for a partial re-paint and weathering. Grey patch on tank top is where I removed the bell after a change of mind.

Fitted with Paul Chetter sound file (which is superb like normal) and 'stay alive' all as supplied by Chris and Chris. The 'stay alive' is a bit disconcerting sometimes, you can turn all the power OFF and the loco still sits there hissing from 2 or 3 minutes. 

Anyway below are the photos.

P1040406.JPG

P1040407.JPG

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Daveloco1 said:

Jamie

David

Photos of Peckett, somewhat modified from original model, straight handrail to smokebox, new handrails to side tanks, lights, smoke and lifting rings to tank (on reflection they look a bit heavy).

Needs a workshop visit for a partial re-paint and weathering. Grey patch on tank top is where I removed the bell after a change of mind.

Fitted with Paul Chetter sound file (which is superb like normal) and 'stay alive' all as supplied by Chris and Chris. The 'stay alive' is a bit disconcerting sometimes, you can turn all the power OFF and the loco still sits there hissing from 2 or 3 minutes. 

P1040406.JPG

P1040407.JPG

I know what you mean about the long stay-alive shut-down. I was running my Peckett fitted with the same DCC equipment on my club's test-track. Someone came in and lifted the access flap. This automatically cut off the current supply to the sections either side of the gap. Unfortunately, the long DCC stay-alive allowed my Peckett to continue to run through the dead section and plunge into the gap over four feet to the floor. Fortunately, the floor was carpeted, which softened the impact and the only damage was the chipping of a small fragment from the front buffer-beam and the eviction of the crew from the cab. Otherwise, the loco was unharmed and the running quality unaffected. As part of our quality specification at Minerva, we require a prototype of all models to survive being packed and dropped 1.5 metres onto a concrete floor. 

Regards,

CK

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Daveloco1 said:

Jamie

David

P1040406.JPG

P1040407.JPG

Hi Dave,

Thanks very much for taking the time to take those photos and give some explanation. It looks absolutely superb. If you do a similar weathering job to that on the Hudswell Clark locos it will look the bees knees! 

Did you get the Peckett through EDM Models? Those photos are certainly testing my resolve and tempting me to raid the piggybank! :fool:

Cheers,

David 

PS - sorry for hijacking your thread, I do apologise. 

• Like 1

Hi David

Yes the Peckett was through EDM Models, sound files and the ability to 'drive' the loco with brakes on F2 are superb. I am considering switch it over to 'worn' settings!

They don't seem to come up that often on e thingy either.

The smoke and lights were installed by Modelyard near Leeds. Only because at that time I did not feel confident in tackling the smoke unit and light fitting and wiring and my usual problem, time I have to go to work.

Apparently the hardest part is drilling out the chimney to take the smoke unit.

In future I'll do them myself, with hopefully help from this forum if I get stuck!!

Cheers

Dave

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Daveloco1 said:

Hi David

Yes the Peckett was through EDM Models, sound files and the ability to 'drive' the loco with brakes on F2 are superb. I am considering switch it over to 'worn' settings!

They don't seem to come up that often on e thingy either.

The smoke and lights were installed by Modelyard near Leeds. Only because at that time I did not feel confident in tackling the smoke unit and light fitting and wiring and my usual problem, time I have to go to work.

Apparently the hardest part is drilling out the chimney to take the smoke unit.

In future I'll do them myself, with hopefully help from this forum if I get stuck!!

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave that's smashing. EDM still have Pecketts available so I will look into it further - your endorsement is good to know :good_mini:

Hi 

First lot of track components have arrived from C & L, so let track work commence. All I have to do now is get my printer (or better still big A1 plotter) to print the Templot layout that my mate kindly worked up into a usable format.

Not Templot's problem, just me not learning how to manipulate the programme.

Progress photos to follow soon, he hopes!!

Dave

• Like 1

On 13/02/2019 at 14:52, south_tyne said:

Thanks Dave that's smashing. EDM still have Pecketts available so I will look into it further - your endorsement is good to know :good_mini:

We still have some Pecketts in stock.  Minerva's models do not appear very often on the used market. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

Sorry for the break in service but there is a little bit of a re-think going on.

See layout design was done as a preferred option, in the hope that at some time I would have enough room to build the whole thing.

Reality check! may never happen so now re-assessing the situation with a view to make it fit in the space available!

One option (made by my 'interfering mate only joking) is to omit the right hand station selector board and make it a disused terminus station now taken over by industry with the odd workers passenger train still using the facilities. 

Any thoughts (opening can of worms) gladly excepted.

OR

Do I carry on building as I originally designed and hope for a Lottery win and a move of home!!

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 2

19 hours ago, Daveloco1 said:

Hi Guys

Sorry for the break in service but there is a little bit of a re-think going on.

See layout design was done as a preferred option, in the hope that at some time I would have enough room to build the whole thing.

Reality check! may never happen so now re-assessing the situation with a view to make it fit in the space available!

One option (made by my 'interfering mate only joking) is to omit the right hand station selector board and make it a disused terminus station now taken over by industry with the odd workers passenger train still using the facilities. 

Any thoughts (opening can of worms) gladly excepted.

OR

Do I carry on building as I originally designed and hope for a Lottery win and a move of home!!

Dave

Personally, I would rather do something realistic and manageable to begin with. You can always extend and enlarge later, as time, funds and space allow. I would also want something that I could set up in entirety at home. From my point of view there would be nothing more frustrating than a layout which you cannot play with at home! You could always have an extension for potential exhibition appearances if desired? 

Just my thoughts! 

David 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Hi

After a lot of thought and a fair amount of my mate 'tinkering' with the plan on Templot I think I have a plan I can develop and enjoy.

The right hand selector has been 'withdrawn' for now, has as the 'canal scene' and left hand selector, this has been replaced with a small selector board, meaning slightly shorter train lengths.

The rails from the right of the main left hand angled board with now cross the board joint at 90 degrees so that a later date the removed 'canal' element could be re-instated with the track positioned in the same place on the board so the layout can operate with or without the additional 'canal scene' board dependent on space available.

So next, new angled board to construct and then start laying track, finally!

Dave

• Like 1

Dave,

Thanks for your help in sorting out the DCC decoder for  my LLC class 15.

As a son of Cleckhuddersfax, or more correctly, Cleckheckmansedge, I like your take on a West Riding terminus. I know the area well, living as a child next to Liversedge Central station on the L&Y Cleckheaton branch, and walking past Heckmondwike Spen, on the Leeds new line, on my way to school.

Have you checked out the L&Y terminus in Dewsbury  town centre ,it had a canal basin very close by. I always thought it would form the inspiration for a great model.

Best Regards    John