• RMweb Gold

Yes, at Deans Hill (and all other depots still in use by the 1990s, the rails are inset, but they likely were not at the time of construction.  I haven't dug into when Deans Hill opened but underground storage of munitions is not a regular thing now (cost and complications).  MHE (forklifts) really didn't come into use until the 60's but obviously there were trolleys and barrows.

The need for phosphor bronze rails implies there was storage of bulk propellants such as gun power or gun cotton (nitro-cellulose) and later variants. 

The sheds at Lodge Hill in Chatham (and Upnor) had P-B rails until one weekend after the place closed as a munitions depot, the workmen arrived and dug them all out and took them away.  Imagine the surprise when on Monday, it was revealed that here had been no work order and no-one knew anything about the trenches now in the floor!

So I've done a bit of work on the wagons. These are the peco RTR flatbeds that I'm modifying. So far ive added the wooden ends to the wagons using some wire, card and a couple drops of super glue. Here's my progress so farIMG_20190403_194328334.jpg.a1debf326cdd4861f903f0c9d9639992.jpgThey will be painted and fitted with bomb loads in due course. I think the ends add a bit more to the wagons as they were looking a bit 'flat' before. I'm quite tempted to pick up another pack of these wagons to create some longer trains.

• Like 4

It's been a while but I've finally finished a pair of RNAD wagons carrying a cargo of bombs from the airfix bomber supply kit. The bombs are just on thin strips of coffee stirrer on the modified peco wagons. I'm very pleased how they've turned out and may be investing in a second pack of these wagons to carry the rest of the bombs. The wagon chassis was given a light dusting of weathering powders to show a light accumulation of dirt. Here's a picture:IMG_20190411_210148988.jpg.07e3348c70a87852e5ed9cf9fa191a7d.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks good Luke.

More modern bombs are stored without tails and the tails are stored nearby but usually in un-licenced buildings. You could have a wagon of just tails.

Until the 1990s you still saw loose she'll being moved stacked with chocks. They would have a lifting plug in the nose and a protective band around the driving band (the copper where the rifling engages). We still had unboxed 8in & 175mm in store for disposal in '94 when i arrived at my first ammo depot.

Torpedoes are, almost without exception, 21inches in diameter. The longer they get, the more sections are seperable. 

Ammo comes in brown boxes of many shapes and sizes and can be on pallet or on flat wagons with sides. It should have an orange diamond on each box and the print on the sides will be golden yellow.

Lots of fire equipment around ammo depots, and emergency phones...

Hope that's useful.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Forgot to mention, practice bombs are painted mid blue, live bombs are usually green with yellow stripes or grey with yellow stripes more recently. Older bombs were often black or unpainted, certainly in WW2. When they were likely to be stored out in the open they would be painted green, either Deep Bronze Green (like Brunswick) or olive drab, (later NATO IRR green).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...