SWAG curry evening - now back on again!

......I haven't as yet booked the venue, ...... (and) postponing this until the leaves turn brown.... - what say you all,

Well CK that seems to be a pretty positive arrangement, I will just check the map and calendar....cool.gif

Edit, Ooooh I've got a new page all to myself (so far).

PS, is this the same Happy, all SWAG's together Curry night for April this year....

Greetings from the Engine House Big Spoon Holder....rolleyes.gif ....

• RMweb Gold

OK folks, it seems only sensible to postpone this until the Autumn, so that's now official!

What would help, is if folk could individually PM me with any convenient Friday dates in September - November, please.

Many thanks.

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

OK folks, it seems only sensible to postpone this until the Autumn, so that's now official!

What would help, is if folk could individually PM me with any convenient Friday dates in September - November, please.

Many thanks.

Sorry to drag this one up again, but are we going to have one this year Tim!? Only I'd really like to meet up with others in the area for a curry. drinks.gif

Regards,

Nick.

I see CK didn't say which year, would the above quote be Autumn 2010, Oh, sorry that's past now... cray.gif

Will it be Autumn 2011, we await a few sparse droppings from HWMBO ............ angry.gif

• RMweb Gold

Oddly enough I was reminded of this myself today, whilst driving very slowly between Tavistock and Plymouth, following a First Group bus at a sub-warp speed. The curry house we will be using was advertising on the back of the bus!

I'm minded to go for St Swithin's Day - Friday 15th July. The venue is just outside Buckfastleigh and extremely convenient to the A38.

Any takers?

May I suggest that if you wish to be more inclusive to all SWAG members rather limit the event to those who inhabit the nether regions of the South West, that some consideration is given to a Sunday lunch?

The thought of driving across two counties* after a day's work and the subsequent return journey, is not an option. However a leisurely Sunday drive to the West with an opportunity to visit an open preserved railway is quite acceptable.

If you decide to reject the suggestion and restrict the appeal to those in the Far West, we will understand but please do not refer to the event as the 'SWAG curry evening'.

Tim

*And I am not even on the edge of SWAG as described by Cap'n Haddock.

May I suggest that if you wish to be more inclusive to all SWAG members rather limit the event to those who inhabit the nether regions of the South West, ....

Well I might be deemed to inhabit those nether regions and the Curry house is just on a 110miles from me... about the same as Salisbury, Bournemouth, North Bristol

even Newport in South Wales, to the Curry House, I'm almost tempted to say it couldn't be more central, but it's an awful place for me to get to.

Although Sunday lunch sounds a good idea, those of us in the nether regions know travelling in those regions during the summer,

at weekends, can take a little time, evenings, believe it or not, can be easier travelling, although IF I attended I would have to B&B.

...The thought of driving across two counties ........

And I am not even on the edge of SWAG as described by Cap'n Haddock.

And which two counties be that me 'ansome? smile3.gif

The Good Cap't will be fed up (If the Curries that good!!) with me wingeing on about how far west my part of Swag is,

but we do get a bit annoyed hearing about South Glouc's., Malborough etc., on the ITV local News., I mean where are those places?

And the suggestion Swindon be the SW Regional Capital........angry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gif

I have a feeling CK might even suggest I have my own 'Pond' area group. drinks.gif Oh, CK's drinking to that, uhmmmm

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Tim Hale has e-mailed me seperately and raised the points concerned, and I have responded to him.

Here is my take on this:

- It is billed as a 'SWAG' event because that identifies it with RMWeb, and it is being held within the SWAG area.

- Clearly you have to have a starting point if you are organising anything like this, and in my view, 'going for a curry' is (i) a pleasurable past-time and (ii) something usually associated with an evening, hence my choice of a Friday evening

- In chosing the venue, again, someone has to make a decision, and I knew that sufficient folk would probably be interested in Buckfastleigh, in order to make it worthwhile

- However, the choice of venue is not deliberately intended to discourage anyone from SWAG (or outside of SWAG) from coming along, although I respect Tim's view that driving a long distance on a weekday evening isn't everyone's cup of tea. Having said that, it is right next to the A38 dual carriageway, so at least there aren't miles of local roads to negotiate after leaving the main road...

- There is nothing to prevent anyone (in SWAG or one of the other groups of RMWeb) from organising a similar event closer to home, although I personally would probably not drive to (say) Bristol or Penzance just for the evening. I accept that this works the other way as well

Having said all that, I agree with Tim's suggestion about a Sunday lunch. This actually fits well with our practice of holding a post-Christmas drinks & meal in a pub (although we didn't do it last December - we'll rectify that for 2011!).

So, I'm happy to organise a SWAG Summer Sunday meet-up, and my suggestion for starters is as follows:

- Suggested date - a Sunday in late August or early September

- Venue - The Victory Inn, near Taunton, and very handy for the WSR after lunch

- Post lunch activity - visit the WSR, possibly have a trip, maybe even a reserved compartment or two?

I'd welcome your thoughts!

........ Suggested date - a Sunday in late August or early September....

NOT the weekend of August 20/21st please - That's the Three Spires Model Railway Exhibition in Truro, certain SWAG members are committed there that weekend.

See http://www.threespiresrailex.org.uk/

And does that mean ...... Wot? no Curries cray.gif

As Penlan has managed to mention nether twice in his response, maybe some clarification is required:

The origin of nether is old German (cognate with nieder) and refers to lower or further down. As the two counties of Cornwall and Devon are further South* than any other mainland counties in the British Isles, the venerable term nether may be applied without recourse to further remark.

Tim

*AFAIR, the Lizard the most Southerly point on the mainland of Britain.

Def Souwest!!!!

Anything up country of Taunton is the Midlands, everyone knows that.

Everywhere else is either up North or to the South East somewhere.

Of course there's Wales, but us down here dunno much about it so we disregard it, mostly.

I did once get on a train to London Town, avin erd the streets be mostly golden coin but I didnt like their ways past Taunton so came ome.

So curry it is, and Sunday Lunch sounds quite splendid to, thus keeping us all appy in one way or t'other.drinks.gif

Sully, the Souwester wearin Souwester

• RMweb Gold
Worked out quite well, a curry evening for those who can get to the Riviera of an evening and a leisurely Sunday lunch for those who cannot but would like to.

It is difficult trying to organise something for a number of people, in what is geographically a huge area, but it would be nice to have a couple of SWAG days over the course of the year where more people could attend. I tend to think of RMWeb as a massive club! :)

Regards,

Nick

Nick,

It is not just two events a year that Tim manages to organise, the Sunday lunch makes it three, my only regret is that at the end of a week commuting four hours per day, I am finished otherwise I would love to attend the curry evening.

Lazy Sunday morning drives down to West Country are an excellent alternative especially if a trip on the WSR is on the cards or even further to Bodmin if only to enjoy the hospitality of that lovely railway.

Tim

Archived