Swindelton – inspiration from a challenge 7 years later!

ChrisS

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, gismorail said:

The static grass system really does transform a layout into a real life scene and is in my opinion well worth the extra work involved. A little trick that I have found works well is once you have completed the static grass application on for example an embankment, is to very lightly apply some light brown acrylic colours in a spray gun over the grassed area which will produce those dried / dead grass effects that are often seen in such areas alongside railway tracks especially towards the end of the summer period and into autumn. You will need to do this in very light passes and build up the different colours by eye until you achieve the desired effect.

I am converted to the world of static grass. The initial cost of purchasing an applicator was definitely worth it, even for a relatively small area. I'm sure I will be using it again on other projects.

I was contemplating 'weathering' the grass on the embankment, so might give your suggestion a go. I was thinking of doing the lower levels of the embankment to mimic dirt from passing trains. If anything, it might tone down some of the brighter green fibres amongst the WWS summer blend.

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So I've decided it's time to learn another new skill - this time making trees!

I did a bit of research and watched many YouTube videos, so thought I'd finally take the plunge. In a moment of madness I went and acquired a few supplies. I think I still need a few more bits but these should help me get started.

20201025_163559.jpg.c2d7b968a1f5db43b4e2d24bde6ddf9e.jpg

I decided that I would make my trees with florist wire, as this was one of the techniques shown in the videos I watched. My plan is to try a couple of different techniques in covering the wire. The following is my first attempt at creating a tree and I will be using latex to cover the wire. Its not based on any specific species, but just what I thought looked right- a generic tree if there was such a thing!

20201026_204929-1.jpg.57ccd345420c11d8eb4f71d5d6175ffe.jpg

The latex is quite thin so will need several coats, but I'm going to try a thickener to hopefully speed the process up. I found making this tree structure quite therapeutic, so went on to make a second different one in quick succession!

20201026_204830.jpg.b3f762ba682c8951b10388787920cb29.jpg 

I was sort of aiming for a silver birch sort of structure, tall and skinny. This one I've covered the wire with the use of a hot glue gun. It was a bit tricky but is definitely quicker than the latex. One reason for using latex or hot glue is that it allows the branches to be adjusted later. I might try other finishes depending on the results I achieve.

20201026_204716-1.jpg.51e1926da9e20c8c9d74d503e0a2d2e6.jpg

Obviously the next stages will be painting and adding vegetation. I still have to get a couple more supplies to progress this bit, but overall I'm quite happy with what I've produced so far!

That's all for now.

Chris

Edited by ChrisS
Typo
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A small update.

I've been experimenting and had a go at painting and installing some temporary foliage on one of the trees i've made to see what it looks like.

The intention was it would be a silver birch but I think the trunk would need more white- I used a combination of artists acrylics so might try again.

The foliage is not quite right for a silver birch but still looks ok to me. Either way I'm quite happy with it, for my first go at a home made tree! 

20201104_220024.jpg.17f22874ed2e137d6b13a6dcea2f923b.jpg

I have some alternative foliage on order so will be experimenting further. I have made a few more trees to keep me occupied in Lockdown 2.0!

20201104_220456.jpg.cedbc5ff2305af77b999f8aec3736c22.jpg

Till next time.

Edited by ChrisS
Spelling
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

I received a package this morning with some alternative foliage and could not wait to give it ago.

So here is my first ever attempt using sea foam to create the structure of a tree. I super glued bits of sea foam (and my fingers!) to one of my smaller wire trees I created earlier.

20201107_203259.jpg.700b66cb9df8da48ff65587ccd0139ab.jpg

I'm really pleased with it and have learnt a few things for next time. 

The next stage will be adding some leaves to the canopy. I have some scatter material and hopefully some time tomorrow to give it a go.

Really enjoying this project at the moment- a bit of a challenge and time consuming but very therapeutic! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ChrisS said:

I received a package this morning with some alternative foliage and could not wait to give it ago.

So here is my first ever attempt using sea foam to create the structure of a tree. I super glued bits of sea foam (and my fingers!) to one of my smaller wire trees I created earlier.

20201107_203259.jpg.700b66cb9df8da48ff65587ccd0139ab.jpg

I'm really pleased with it and have learnt a few things for next time. 

The next stage will be adding some leaves to the canopy. I have some scatter material and hopefully some time tomorrow to give it a go.

Really enjoying this project at the moment- a bit of a challenge and time consuming but very therapeutic! 

that looks really good as an autumnal tree

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Simond said:

It does look good.

So, where did you purchase it, please?

cheers

Simon

Hello Simon,

I made the tree trunk from twisted florist wire and covered in hot glue. This was then painted with artists acrylics. The sea moss was purchased from WWS scenics - they do different grades, this being a box of smaller bits, which was cut and glued onto my tree. 

Hope this helps. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A little further  up-date..

So I've done some more work on the tree and dusted it with some fine scatter material to bulk it out a bit. I think it looks quite good, but it's difficult to know when to stop. I'm considering getting some leaf scatter and giving it a go with this as well.

I decided to plant it on Swindelton to see how it looks, and scale wise I think its just right. I might have to make some half relief trees to fit the other side of the fence line.

20201108_162130.jpg.99e70a976bc15e10bc82008393d65eb4.jpg 20201108_165340.jpg.2fdd95461091d4c09fa64f649b48d8c2.jpg

Will hopefully keep going with the other wire trees I've made, as this one is a bit lonely.

Till next time.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Appreciate this is not a Dendrology forum, but I’m still having fun creating trees at the moment! 

This is one I recently finished and I’m really pleased with it. It took a while to superglue all the sea foam cuttings to my wire tree, but it’s definitely worth the trouble. I dusted the tree with woodlands scenics fine turf and used WWS layering spray. 

20201129_144852.jpg.995f476c7860023d00faae790769a1d1.jpg

I’ve also started experimenting with lichen moss to create bushes. I threaded the moss onto a piece of wire and treated it with 2mm brown static grass, followed by a dusting of fine turf. As with the trees I used the layering spray to secure everything. It looks better in reality! I think I might try adding some representation of berries or flowers to my next attempt.

20201129_160338.jpg.7249568a2362b0f9f2be9def70b44b0c.jpg

The garage has been a bit cold recently so It has put me off doing other things- it's a good job I can build up my tree collection in the warm house. 

The tree above was designed to fit in a specific location as it is effectively a ¼ of a tree- I think it looks quite effective and complements the other tree I made earlier in the thread. 

20201129_155557.jpg.0e71fbaca36884523b9945cb66b0b535.jpg

The bush looks a bit naff on its own in the middle of the embankment, but this is potentially the first of many required to break the embankment up a bit.

20201129_161059.jpg.0e69dd24789fbab788f10a997833a96a.jpg

That’s all for now. 

20201129_142708.jpg

Edited by ChrisS
Re-inserted missing images
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not been doing as much as I’d like as it’s been a bit cold in the garage recently. The fan heater brought the temperature up from a cool 6 to a barmy 13 degrees! 

Appreciate I’m not the first to do this but I decided to take the plunge and do some weathering of wagons including my two Dogfish and Turbots. 

I took a deep breath and started to lightly weather one of my Dogfish, my thinking is always it’s easier to add than take away. It’s still a work in progress but referring to the many photos on Paul Bartletts excellent web site, there seems to be many extremes. DB993608 actually appears on his site and it was a relatively clean example in the 1970’s. I noticed there are some subtle differences between the model and real-life example but I have no intention of trying to create a mirror image! 

I like to test if something looks realistic by taking photos of it. I used Paul's website as inspiration for the following... I'm really pleased with it.

dogfish.jpg.6ab598b30ffaefda241f5647c27ce30a.jpg

After seeing the following sale finish the other day, I was thinking perhaps I should have seen how much I would have got for my two green examples I acquired before they became as rare as hens' teeth. However, I’m in it for the modelling potential and not the money. I would actually like one of the following but not at that price- If anyone is looking to off load a Dutch Dogfish for a reasonable price, then let me know!

Screenshot_2020-12-28-19-14-24.jpg.7202b4d8fd16f2bb49fe8be1b2f58c01.jpg

With the Turbots I’ve started with the floors in a similar fashion as seen on Hither Green. Not too sure I’m confident about putting the gas soldering iron to the sides though, but never say never. 

After adding some different wood tones, I then weathered with satin black enamel and spirits. Inadvertently, using a large brush in the style of Bob Ross, it resulted in quite a nice weathered finish. Using a sponge I added some rust tones to the doors (internals) and end boards. As with the Dogfish this is still a work in progress too.

20210103_161704.jpg.fb271d58f99b68d55ec9de7d0a104c73.jpg

20210103_161745.jpg.17f2723598c775c784d2436c58f7e040.jpg

For Christmas I was lucky to receive some additional detailing bits, so I’ve made a start on painting and weathering these. Hopefully they will add to some detail and atmosphere on Swindelton. I temporarily placed many, but not all, in front of the shed to see what it looks like when photographed. 

20210103_165726.jpg.99ff8f29852c0bbe4096bd0aa9bdda07.jpg

Back to work tomorrow – it's going to be tough to get motivated after a break over Christmas and the new year. 

Hopefully 2021 will be better than 2020! 

That's all for now.

Screenshot 2021-01-03 210828.jpg

20210103_161704.jpg

Edited by ChrisS
  • Like 10

On 03/01/2021 at 22:21, ChrisS said:

With the Turbots I’ve started with the floors in a similar fashion as seen on Hither Green. Not too sure I’m confident about putting the gas soldering iron to the sides though, but never say never. 

After adding some different wood tones, I then weathered with satin black enamel and spirits. Inadvertently, using a large brush in the style of Bob Ross, it resulted in quite a nice weathered finish. Using a sponge I added some rust tones to the doors (internals) and end boards. As with the Dogfish this is still a work in progress too.

20210103_161704.jpg.c63ebc99ef2aeab1540e85948ea5fdf1.jpg

20210103_161745.jpg.17f2723598c775c784d2436c58f7e040.jpg

You've made a nice start to the interiors, I need to do some Dog/Catfish I've tucked away. I followed Ian's video's on HG but used a hair dryer as I don't have a gas soldering iron. I was nervous about giving it a go too, all I would say is have a go but take it slow and steady. I am sure you'll be pleasantly surprised. 

425523586_YCV14.jpg.be3f6006c6a5015f855f8e86174e018c.jpg

• Like 3

Many years ago,I had a few Airfix minerals.To simulate the dents in the side and end sheets I took a 12" - foot hammer to them,......carefully! I was pleasantly surprised by the results,as they actually looked like the ones I saw passing every day.

My weathering was rubbish though!

atb

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Chicken lol. Teasing aside, your dogfish and Turbots look great

3 hours ago, D6775 said:

You've made a nice start to the interiors, I need to do some Dog/Catfish I've tucked away. I followed Ian's video's on HG but used a hair dryer as I don't have a gas soldering iron. I was nervous about giving it a go too, all I would say is have a go but take it slow and steady. I am sure you'll be pleasantly surprised. 

425523586_YCV14.jpg.be3f6006c6a5015f855f8e86174e018c.jpg

Thanks both, it takes me a while to build up the courage to experiment, there is always the fear of making a dogs dinner of it, especially with the investment involved! Both your Turbots look good though, so I might still have a go at manipulating the sides- possibly a little bit- will have to see. I have a few old OO wagons that I might experiment on first.

1 hour ago, 34006 said:

Many years ago,I had a few Airfix minerals.To simulate the dents in the side and end sheets I took a 12" - foot hammer to them,......carefully! I was pleasantly surprised by the results,as they actually looked like the ones I saw passing every day.

My weathering was rubbish though!

atb

Phil

I was wondering if the careful use of a chisel or nail punch would work- might have to give this ago on an old wagon too!

Chris,

I just used a ball pein hammer and placed the kit sides on a couple of pieces of thickish corrugated cardboard .You would need something with a little bit of give. Don't be heavy handed,that's the only bit of advice I can give you,looking back over the years!

atb

Phil

It took me an age to give it a go, I'd seen the method years ago and never had the courage, Ian's videos made me give it a try. Maybe cut some scrap plastic sheet roughly the size of the doors to give it a bash? I too cut a bit of a jig out of a piece of wood to try and keep one edge as square as I could then once pliable attacked them with my hands and a pair of pliers!.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It’s been a quiet month for modelling. Instead, a bit of retail therapy occurred. 

Appreciate I'm not the first but I finally succumbed to a Warwell. It’s a lovely model and I'm really happy with it, but due to its size I can't really justify many- one will have to do for the time being. The factory finished wooden planking looked a bit odd so I decided to age and treat it in a similar manner to the Turbots.

20210130_214901.jpg.db106809d072dd0d5d52dc6b2ae25d5e.jpg

I toned down the colours with a black wash and then attempted some representation of oil spills, but I was not overly happy with the look. 

So some additional dry brushing helped blend the spills and weathering - at least in my eyes. I also dry brushed some metalcote on to the metal plate and rivets to make them stand out a bit and give a slightly worn look. Like other projects I might come back to it at a later date.

20210131_180326.jpg.8ebe090cf2271fb701f3b850b1e8dd12.jpg

I'm going to try and source a suitable load and some securing chains for it in the long term.

With a rush of blood to the head, another acquisition also occurred. Due to finances at the time, I missed out on a blue version. Instead, I now own some Railfreight twins. I was thinking I could do 20141 and 20023 but there are some subtle livery variations required to make 20023. Alternatively, if I get the time and confidence, I might repaint one in blue. The Railfreight twins pass Swindelton with a short MOD consist during the summer of 1986.

twins.jpg.739400ca090de11d1c9fd336282dd2b2.jpg

Till next time.

Edited by ChrisS
  • Like 12

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Decorating the son's bedroom has recently meant not much time for Swindelton.

Despite this, and also despite not wanting to age my Dapol Turbots with a gas soldering iron, it seems I'm quite happy to attack one of my most recent purchases, one of the twin Railfreight class 20s!

For those of the current TikTok generation you'll have to look at the following image with the "Oh No!" song in the back ground. My children introduced me to this tune and it's not left my head.

20210222_175228.jpg.54e3ca5e622ca32b75e8d10099ce9aef.jpg

I'm sure it will buff out and look better in the end, but I started off removing the orange cantrail stripe with the intention of just replacing with a white stripe. I then thought I might as well have a go at the various mould lines. I then looked at the bogie side beams and these need a bit of attention to fill the holes, as the one I'm potentially looking to replicate had solid beams.

I'm now wondering if I'm happy with the tone of the Railfreight grey used by Heljan, but that would also mean re-painting its twin............................................ 

This is potentially not going to be a quick job.

Till next time.

Edited by ChrisS
Re-inserted missing image
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ChrisS said:

Decorating the son's bedroom has recently meant not much time for Swindelton.

Despite this, and also despite not wanting to age my Dapol Turbots with a gas soldering iron, it seems I'm quite happy to attack one of my most recent purchases, one of the twin Railfreight class 20s!

For those of the current TikTok generation you'll have to look at the following image with the "Oh No!" song in the back ground. My children introduced me to this tune and it's not left my head.

I'm sure it will buff out and look better in the end, but I started off removing the orange cantrail stripe with the intention of just replacing with a white stripe. I then thought I might as well have a go at the various mould lines. I then looked at the bogie side beams and these need a bit of attention to fill the holes, as the one I'm potentially looking to replicate had solid beams.

I'm now wondering if I'm happy with the tone of the Railfreight grey used by Heljan, but that would also mean re-painting its twin............................................ 

This is potentially not going to be a quick job.

Till next time.

20210222_175228.jpg.c573a245a36cdca96170fb7e8081f583.jpg

you can blend greys to give it a varied weathered look, save repainting both locos entirely 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

So............ it's been a while since I've done anything on Swindelton, but one of the reasons for this was the location in the garage. I had Swindelton set up on the adjustable trestles in front of items stored along the garage wall. It was a right PITA to get to things stored under and behind Swindelton, and it was encroaching into the garage space. The trestles made it difficult to store items/ garage furniture - ie family junk under Swindelton, making it a stressful environment at times. 

I've previously used a industrial/ garage racking system to create a workbench and additional storage on one of the other garage walls and this has been very successful. So I thought I would use the racking system to store Swindelton and create additional storage. One of the advantages is that Swindelton is now better protected and I can install lights on the underside of the upper racking shelf. An added bonus is that I've also now got some additional space to play with. The main disadvantage will be doing any remedial works to wiring etc because of the solid shelf. I still have the trestles to allow this if necessary.

Before....

735294233_Modelstand50.jpeg.b8e4ca72574716411c0314f9686e058d.jpeg

After....

598682864_Modelstand250.jpeg.9777b3773e2b201e21cbf1098655c0fa.jpeg

I'm a lot happier now.

It was my birthday recently, and I was lucky to get a few items of interest from my wife. It's definately big for Swindelton, but she managed to get me a Motorail carflat. It's a really nice model - but I might need to use the extra space I have recently acquired! After doing some research it was good to see that these could be seen in use outside of Motorail traffic and I have a few ideas for the future.

987523310_Carflat50.jpeg.27e90943156a553a7abb122248bd219e.jpeg

I'm enthusiastically working on the other presents my wife got me so at some point i'll probably up-date later.

That's all for now.

• Like 6