Swindelton – inspiration from a challenge 7 years later!

ChrisS

• RMweb Gold

I've probably spent too much time thinking rather than doing, but finally i think I've come up with a plan for the back scene opposite the shed. With the limited space i'm trying to prevent it looking too flat - something that has really bugged me. I've been experimenting with some forced perspective, using cardboard mock ups of a factory/ warehouse wall and roof. Although there is a compromise, I'm reasonably happy with it and prefer it to a flat side on profile. I will probably  tweak some angles but I'm aware it would work best from a set viewing angle- something I will be forcing at a later date.

20200329_211309.jpg.8d9f72e0befc92651df57011ba73bf0b.jpg

I spent a couple of therapeutic hours creating the electrical switch panels for the shed. Still to add some further detail. One of my long list of projects will be to install some real lighting- who knows when though!

20200329_215104.jpg.5614e1879c40c609775c293e6660c875.jpg

That's all for now. Stay safe.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, deltic17 said:

The 03 looks very nice - is the DJH one a good runner at very slow speeds? - I'm not convinced fully about my Heljan one!

It weighs 740g and although not run regularly or very often (I've had it since 2005), it still crawls along at slow speed, even with the use of an old N gauge Graham Farish controller! I can't compare it to a Heljan one so don't know if it runs any better or worse. I think one factor will be keeping wheels and track nice and clean. 

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, pwr said:

Wasn't this a Norwich loco at one time?

Paul R

Hello Paul, not too sure about the allocation history of 03170 but I know it was the last to be fitted with air brakes at Swindon, and was in service till 1989. I think I've seen pictures of it at Birkenhead docks. It still survives and is preserved albeit in green I think.

• RMweb Gold

I find it difficult to concentrate on one project till completion, so I have many smaller ones on the go.

Today I decided to return to a building I'd already started for Swindelton. A while back my wife bought me a Skytex goods yard office. I'd put the four walls together and done a bit of filling but then got distracted! I felt a bit guilty so thought I'd best progress this a bit further, so spent an enjoyable afternoon in the garage- at least it's warmer now.

I started by using Halfords red primer for the base brick colour.

20200406_134702-2304x1728.jpg.2badb15b3663bcc154a6dcf8b8cc42b8.jpg

I then started decorating the internal and external walls. Every colour used was also dry brushed onto the external brick work to weather it a bit.

20200406_185310-2304x1728.jpg.dbb868a11ba9cb3a18654f18c87492c7.jpg

20200406_185329-2304x1728.jpg.39b0f895f51f0cc8cf433e335281495a.jpg

I decided for a retro split colour scheme internally. Overall, I'm quite pleased with the result so far, but still have a few things to do.

I don't like the supplied roof mouldings due to the number of interpreted chipped tiles, so I'm going to have a go at doing a replacement myself. 

Other than my birthday tomorrow, I've not got the usual distractions at the moment so might have an opportunity to progress this one further!

Until next time, take care all.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

In this current climate I feel very lucky to receive these two items on my birthday from my wife.

20200407_204609.jpg.288a723dfabb463b7b48a700f53ea943.jpg

I was contemplating modifying the van wide to a VEA but despite the instructions advising Slaters would be intending to provide a modification kit in the future, this doesn't seem to be the case?

Worst case senario I will build as is, and finish it as a departmental ZDV to allow running into the late 80s time frame.

Looking forward to trying the airbrush. My current brush is a 25+ year old single action badger 200 so it might be a bit of a learning curve. 

Till next time.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've finally been put on furlough leave as my inspection work has dried up for the time being. Sort of looking forward to the time off, but perhaps not the small financial hit.

With some free time and the motivation of a new airbrush i thought i'd make myself a dedicated model/ spray booth. I've been using modified cardboard boxes up till now.

In the 80's my dad home made a computer desk for our Sinclair ZX Spectrum. It was made using ply and wood stained in what i'd consider a 1980's style.

Bizarrely I inherited it, but it was not big enough or pretty enough for modern use in the house. It has sat disassembled in the garage for several years- with the intention I'd find a use for it some day.

After looking for some off cuts to create something else, I had a moment of inspiration!

I repositioned the shelves and gave the desk a modern coat of paint, using some left overs from other projects. Even if its going to live in the garage its got to look good! 

I just have to finance a bench vent to fit at the rear of my booth. Might have to delay this purchase in the current circumstances. Will probably install some additional led strip lighting too. I fitted a rail I found in the garage to allow items to be hung if necessary.

20200418_151944.jpg.256e881542533e841d7a6ae10c45cdc6.jpg

Partly a fluke, but the positioning of the shelves allows really useful boxes to be used for organising additional storage- result!

Booth in situ...

20200418_165659-1.jpg.f6fb2c04e1989c4a194618d417bcfdc1.jpg

Maybe I might find some time to do some modelling now!

That's all for now. Stay safe.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Probably not PC, but I've been enjoying my time on furlough leave. Might not feel this way if its prolonged too long and I take a bigger financial hit, but it's been great having more time around the family. The weather has certainly helped too. I've had enough things to do to keep me busy, including jobs on the house and spending some time on Swindelton.

I've finally managed to build a replacement roof for the Skytrex goods office. I used some mounting card to create a supporting structure. I then cut out some rows of tiles from card. These were stuck down and then painted.

20200421_161927.jpg.43028f5ad2783aa4617cbc0a3829f597.jpg

1658561523_20200421_161823(1).jpg.bcca2a2cf706a3717074b1860045fb51.jpg

20200421_165831.jpg.12a3bb6d1ec9453f500464083fed06b2.jpg

Overall I'm happy with the finish and consider it an improvement on the supplied moulded roof. 

DSCF7147.JPG.8f5558a98b2f1bf34a09c45858ef08cc.JPG

I might weather some of the surfaces a bit more but apart from installation of lighting and placement on Swindelton, this is pretty much finished.

Back soon...…..

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Although very simple, for a while I’ve been contemplating whether I was entirely happy with the track layout of Swindelton. I’d spend many an hour looking at it and trying to visualize potential operations.  I’ve had that nagging doubt in my head that something wasn’t quite right and it’s taken a while to come to terms with this, and the prospect of adjusting the work I'd already done. 

Being on furlough has given me some extra reflection time. After reading through my back catalogue of past model railway magazines I found some inspiration and motivation to do something and try to move forward. With a bit of dread, I decided to make some changes – luckily, I’d not done any major scenic works or ballasting, so it was easier to make some modifications now rather than later! 

Despite Swindelton’s small size I’ve decided to still keep a through line to allow trains to pass by, as this was one of my original aims and something I prefer to see. 

The main modification was to adjust the track plan to allow access to the shed off the end of a loop giving access to imaginary yard beyond a road bridge used for the scenic break (see rough plan). In my mind this justifies the existence of the stabling point. There are now accessible roads either side of the shed to allow additional loco stabling or a fuel road.  

plan.jpg.1b6257cd296057b58935068e4386ba59.jpg

It has taken me a few days to rework the track layout and modify the electrics and touch up paint on rail sides etc etc. I had to reposition 3 of the points and the associated electrics and servos. 

Although the biggest challenge and compromise with Swindelton is its small size (the scenic bit is about 6ft), I am definitely happier with the new track layout now. I was contemplating whether to have the end of a head shunt from the imaginary yard also passing from under the bridge and appearing in the bottom right corner of the following photo, but potentially there could be too much track for the small space! 

DSCF7143.jpg.3c1c36d893fecb35be7b9c31e00c1af8.jpg

Good job I don’t have a deadline or grand plans such as the impressive Heaton Lodge Junction – this was never going to be a quick project – LOL. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ChrisS said:

DSCF7143.jpg.3c1c36d893fecb35be7b9c31e00c1af8.jpg

Good job I don’t have a deadline or grand plans such as the impressive Heaton Lodge Junction – this was never going to be a quick project – LOL. 

Less is more, keep the vacant space at the front to allow a little more natural scenery, otherwise it’s just a railway with no setting. I wish I had a bit more of green space on my layout

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

With my mojo back on track (!) I thought I would have a little photographic play around and see what potential there is. Obviously, it would look a bit better with some scenery but I’ll get there in the end- some day.

An unidentified 25 passes a relatively busy Swindelton on the 10am Speedlink service.

DSCF7164.jpg.1e133b7d9941409b40436a9b22efef9a.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Adjusting the track layout seems to have got me over an invisible hurdle!

I’ve now got some momentum going and have started work on completing the bridge for the scenic break. I had to re-start the bridge following the track alterations; no bad thing as I’ve improved its construction. 

Using ply off cuts, I created the abutments and wings; not too sure if this bridge is over engineered with the retaining wings given the landscape, but I’m happy with it. Spent the afternoon cladding the abutments with the wings still to do. Created some lintels for the bridge bearings using some angled plastic strip. Just got to fabricate a suitable deck structure.

Whilst I was in the mood, although a messy job, I’ve also managed to do some landscaping with some polystyrene in preparation for some plaster work later. 

DSCF7170.jpg.7a66168f323fc13e9e390aaa676b76b6.jpg

DSCF7181.jpg.7bae84985d441ed17167e86ee923b327.jpg

DSCF7182.jpg.5c89f6cb2a3e1accdb8166f9222a106c.jpg

At the moment I'm not due back to work till the 27th May- really enjoying myself, so lets see what else I can get done!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well I’ve surprised myself again- managed to finish the bridge wing walls and create an alcove for some communication cabinets. 

I was reading through the Heaton Lodge Junction thread and saw that real stones were used under the plaster to create some natural undulations, so thought I’d give this ago. I only used a few before I overlaid the mod roc (I was still adding when I took the photos). I just had enough mod roc to cover all the areas I wanted to cover. The stones seem quite effective- probably could have added more but happy with the result. Will let it thoroughly dry now.

DSCF7186.jpg.015367e92db0016cfd174d0e23ad18ae.jpg

DSCF7188.jpg.566358c7e5ce5918a798ee40a3b5838f.jpg

There has been a slight change in plan with regards to scenery opposite the shed. Although I'd previously indicated some form of industry with grey Pringle silos and a forced perspective warehouse, I was never really happy with the latter, even though I'd accepted it was a compromise. Partly influenced again by Heaton Lodge, I've decided to continue the embankment along the rear length and will have ago at recreating something natural that I can watch the train pass by (Within my 6ft!). Now that the messy mod roc job is out of the way I can now move on to the next stages.

Have to say I'm really having fun at the moment. I’ve also spent some therapeutic time painting some of the smaller details that I have acquired over the years. I’m particularly pleased with my wheelie bins! 

DSCF7190.jpg.7a5c1771c4dd0d8d4fa9ff4c0854cd53.jpg

That’s all for now. 

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Between stripping the dining room table and re-oiling with Danish oil, the prospect of starting back at work this week has focused the mind a bit and I'm continuing to make progress.

So I've been having fun starting to add some colour to the embankments prior to additional scenic layers. I've also made a start on painting the bridge brick work and the alcove for the communications cabinet. 

DSCF7191.jpg.0b94c11cd5965012def0a9c25ac20fed.jpg

DSCF7196.jpg.65127f3de9f0ddfc95dd11748e2925dd.jpg

Everyone has a preferred method, but for the brick work I've found a combination that I'm happy with. I use Halfords red aerosol primer, Humbrol satin black (85) and dark stone (187). I let the primer dry and then coat the whole surface (in sections) with black before wiping most of it off. I don't let the black completely dry before I cover the brick work in dark stone (for the mortar) before this is wiped off too. I find this results in quite a good variation in colours. If I'm not happy or want to add further variety I use a bit of white spirit to remove what I don't want.

DSCF7200.jpg.1d545a60660284c116b3b3860363287b.jpg

DSCF7199.jpg.7ff3b4760a9bd29c199ad8d5d1f88412.jpg

I then weather to taste- this aspect is still a work in progress. This is one aspect of modelling I find rewarding ie trying to weather and make something as realistic as possible.

That's all for now.

Edited by ChrisS
typo
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

If you like pristine finishes I'd look away now............... even I took a deep breath before I started on the following experiment.

It's not something I condone (or one that I experimented with in real life!) - will have to see if I keep it as is.

My daughter had a white felt tip pen which I used for the graffiti. Using this pen was a bit strange as the ink is clear but dries white, so it was a bit difficult to see what I was creating! 

DSCF7217.jpg.8209ebe5633b612899a7b2c72f80ac14.jpg

Back to work tomorrow!

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been back at work for a week and I already need a holiday- lol.  

Once upon a time in the early noughties I built a Parkside Grampus wagon. It was left in an almost unheard-of pristine condition, so whilst in the mood I thought I’d have a go at weathering it.  I think I could add a bit more orange and rust tones but it’s already looking better. I didn’t use oil paints on this, the weathering was done with Humbrol rust wash, dry brushing and a bit of white spirit. 

1427624183_20200531_162741(1).jpg.ad25c75e8573a4c36a25b19198835fe0.jpg

823674500_DSCF2441crop.jpg.83f475ffccae728c5b7a631295edc8e9.jpg

Further progress is anticipated in the near future as a ballast train has now arrived at Swindelton!

The Grampus looks a little odd amongst all the pristine rolling stock- something that will have to be addressed in the future. The landscapers still need to visit too, but I’ve been waiting on some funds.

216520144_DSCF2438crop.jpg.b538c24bbe5e2cc243ce382db02b148e.jpg

Oh dear- continuity error-  looks like it’s passing through tonight. Maybe it will return soon to start ballasting at Swindelton......  fingers crossed!

DSCF2446.jpg.42e5db96284a46d5ab11e816c557f01b.jpg

That's all for now.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A little bit of progress to report. For the last couple of weeks, I’ve walked into the garage and back out again. The thought of ballasting the track is worse than actually doing it- finally the ballast train returned last night and made a start on the through line.  

Although not finished and currently in a pristine finish, I’m quite happy with the Woodlands scenic medium grey ballast blend. I think it looks quite realistic in the photo. Sometimes the larger blends look like boulders, something I was keen to avoid. It was fixed with the usual water, PVA and washing up liquid mix.  I intend on experimenting with other finishes for the sidings and depot but this might take another few weeks! 

20200616_225758.jpg.950d66124f86691d5e0154e165f46d9e.jpg

On another note, I’ve started on my Van Wide. Appreciate there are many like it but this one is mine. Quite impressed with the fit of the main components so far. 

20200609_222411.jpg.9ab79d7c431fe1a934ef0d7dcd5865ef.jpg

For those that have been following, you might have noticed a filter in the background of a couple of photos I've posted. I acquired a Bench vent a few weeks ago for the spray booth. I've now plumbed it in with extraction ducting passing through the garage wall. I’m really impressed with it and can highly recommend it- the air flow is very impressive. Can’t believe I’ve painted, sprayed and soldered without one for so long! 

Till next time.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A small up-date. I had a bit of time this weekend to start ballasting the shed road and the adjacent siding. At the same time I created some hard standing in front of the shed. 

One of the reasons for creating Swindelton is to allow a bit of experimentation. I decided to use some darker ballast colours to help create an older weathered look.  This is in complete contrast to the running line which is in pristine grey at the moment.  Still got a bit of ballasting to do, but seeing progress helps the motivation, and doing it in stages keeps me sane!

I also found time to start creating the line side cable trunking from evergreen channel. Like most things this is a work in progress.

20200702_210131.jpg.109a999f11f57a1c707ca4a222828dd8.jpg

That's all for now.

Edited by ChrisS
Re-inserted missing images
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been progressing with the ballasting and ground cover, and have been having fun- to some extent. 

Bizarrely I think I’ve been inspired by watching the recent re-runs of Bob Ross on The Joy of Painting. It’s strangely addictive, and impressive how quickly he can create a work of art. It sounds daft, but It must be some of his sayings such as “there are no mistakes, only happy accidents” or “Talent is a pursued interest. Anything that you’re willing to practice, you can do”, that has rubbed off on me and motivated me to experiment- lol. 

The final bit of ballasting was done with a light brown blend. Not too sure I like it, when compared to the adjacent typical grey blend, but I think it will work with a bit of weathering to tone both down, especially the grey. I think one of my issues might be a bit of OCD and that everything should be uniform; the biggest challenge is trying to make something look naturally random! 

For the next job I acquired two cheap sieves from the Range. With the recent hot weather, I ground up some lumpy dry soil and sieved it. The final fine powder was then used for the base ground cover. A bit of randomness has been added with sprinkled ballast and coloured powders. At the moment everything is looking a little drab, but a bit more colour will be added with some vegetation later. Looking forward to experimenting with this too. 

1741022681_20200627_143222(1).jpg.041376964626a4fe8eafea8cc303bd27.jpg

1587987135_20200627_211941(1).jpg.3341ec75da96995ee4cbe3b10822a395.jpg

That's all for now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A little more progress. What potentially could be the final back scene arrived and I've temporarily installed it.

I don't know if it's the contrast between my current camouflaged embankment and the back scene, but the grass looks quite vibrant. 

I am hoping a layer or two with a fence line and vegetation will help with the final illusion- fingers crossed.

20200628_171013.jpg.164511ba3275166f17f0af2010e86347.jpg

20200628_170928.jpg.89951143657f3567cd69cded4d888e14.jpg

That's all for now.

• Like 5