Stock Storage Boxes - Best Material?

Hi guys.

I've recently purchased some 00 Gauge foam stock boxes for storing stock, similar to my 009 stock boxes. These boxes are foam lined and really secure, which is perfect!

However, I find it very hard to get the locos (especially tender locos) in and out the box without snagging. So I've been thinkibg about adding a little cradle of some sort to help.

I had the same issue with my WW1 Stake Car in the 009 stock box, so used some paper, folded over to make a cradle, which works a treat (see picture attached).

My question is, is paper a good material to use? I remember reading somewhere that sometime over time certain materials, can attach the paint work of models, wanted to check if normal paper is ok, or if there is any other materials that would be more suit.

Many thanks

Callum

post-20663-0-49910400-1545123824_thumb.jpg

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 1

I'm very suspicious of open-cell foam like that for storing models. Sooner or later, it will disintegrate into dust in the way that PECO foam underlay is infamous for doing. If you're unlucky, it might end up stuck to your models in the process.

Perhaps the suppliers of those particular trays for model purposes use a foam with a documented specification that means it should last longer.

But as you've commented already, the open cells easily catch details on models, potentially causing damage to both model and foam. I really don't think its an ideal material.

Closed cell foam, as used by KATO in their boxes for a long time, and as Dapol used to use in theirs (the cream coloured foam) seems much better suited. Not having the open cells, there is nothing to catch against models. It's usually quite a bit stiffer, offering better protection for heavier models. And, it is supposedly more chemically stable and less likely to degrade over time.

Even so, I always put my models in a single layer of acid free tissue paper to protect them from any potential reaction with whatever packaging they're in.

J

There was a suggestion using pure cotton pillowcases may also be a good way of protecting models.

Wash them at a very high temperature to get all the "new" chemicals out.

I wrap mine round some foam underlay for the bottom of my storage boxes, and use some dense blue foam to separate the models.  If they were going to be stored long term, I'd just use the orignal boxes.

NO BUBBLE WRAP.

Been reported here and in Model Rail very recently that it can destroy models.  Although I wonder what conditions they were left in (IE, cold store, warm store, extremes of a loft store?).

Closed cell foam, as used by KATO in their boxes for a long time, and as Dapol used to use in theirs (the cream coloured foam) seems much better suited. Not having the open cells, there is nothing to catch against models. It's usually quite a bit stiffer, offering better protection for heavier models. And, it is supposedly more chemically stable and less likely to degrade over time.

J

At least I know what it's actually called now! (not "flip-flop foam" as I have been referring to it...)

I needed some a few months back and managed to find a few pieces from some packaging or other. Hobbycraft sell it in very thin A4 sheets, which I suppose you could glue to and line an existing rigid storage box?

I like the "cradle" idea for lifting stock in and out though, simple but effective.

• RMweb Gold

I've had some of those blue boxes (got them from JB's Model World IIRC) for at least seven years and there's no visible sign of any deterioration in the foam. More recently, I've been getting 10 litre Really Useful Boxes with similar inserts to store coaches.

The high density stuff seems very stable nowadays, especially compared with the softer foams of the past.

I lift locos in and out cradled in a sheet of ordinary (Tesco) plain white kitchen roll (folded in half) which also hasn't done anything untoward over the same period. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

I'm very suspicious of open-cell foam like that for storing models. Sooner or later, it will disintegrate into dust in the way that PECO foam underlay is infamous for doing. If you're unlucky, it might end up stuck to your models in the process.

I had one old slide box with open cell foam in the lid to hold the slides in the trays. Took me ages to get all of the bits off them when I came to scanning. replaced it with a sheet of foamboard and no more problems so far.

NO BUBBLE WRAP.

Been reported here and in Model Rail very recently that it can destroy models.  Although I wonder what conditions they were left in (IE, cold store, warm store, extremes of a loft store?).

My old movie camera suffered a reaction between the soft outer plastic on the tape door and a piece of bubble wrap. I've also seen polymer migration problems between bubble wrap and wire insulation.

• RMweb Gold

I use the thin sheets of foam material that surround new TV screens, and protect other easy-to-scratch items, as protection for protrusions that might catch on foam inserts. If they're cut to a suitable size they can be wrapped around the item of stock and allow it to be handled safely without actually touching the paintwork. This in turn keeps the damaging oil and grease on the fingers from upsetting the carefully applied weathering materials.

post-2194-0-50990000-1545583778_thumb.jpg

• Like 3