Cambrian Wagon Kit - identity required! Suspect OCA...

Ralf

• RMweb Gold

Hi Folk,

Can someone please reassure me that this looks like a “OCA 31tonne STEEL BODIED OPEN WAGON (1981-2)” Kit from Cambrian?

I know it’s a Cambrian Kit (floor says so) and it’s clearly long wheel base, 2 axle, steel drop side wagon - and not a SPA as it’s got the underframe cutaways.

All reassurance most welcome before I dive in and try and build the wrong wagon!

Thanks

Ralf

post-52-0-58132600-1545165837_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Folk,

Can someone please reassure me that this looks like a “OCA 31tonne STEEL BODIED OPEN WAGON (1981-2)” Kit from Cambrian?

I know it’s a Cambrian Kit (floor says so) and it’s clearly long wheel base, 2 axle, steel drop side wagon - and not a SPA as it’s got the underframe cutaways.

All reassurance most welcome before I dive in and try and build the wrong wagon!

Thanks

Ralf

Hi Ralf,

This looks like the SPA - not OCA.

As per Brian's comments.

If you check PAul Bartletts photo site - there are lots of photos to give you inspiration for your modelling of this wagon.

Thanks

Phil H

Out of interest, have you tried dry-assembling the sides, ends and floor? The OBA and OCA both had flat floors with scribed traverse planking, and little hand-holds to indicate the turnover bolsters. The SPA, however, had fixed cross-battens at about 1' centres; it is also slightly wider, perhaps by a couple of millimetres. I wonder if bits from two kits have been mixed together?

They're nice kits, considering that they came out about thirty years ago. 

Hello all,

Just came across this while looking for something else.

The wagon sides and solebars are for an OCA but it has an SPA floor with the raised battens. Two kits have been mixed up here, as Gilbert (Chris) said the SPA sides are different on the centre door and of course they're shallower.

The solebar for an SPA is also shallower than the OCA and it also angles downwards at the ends to meet the SPA headstock.

Easy to tell straight away having built many over the years.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

The wagon sides and solebars are for an OCA but it has an SPA floor with the raised battens. Two kits have been mixed up here, as Gilbert (Chris) said the SPA sides are different on the centre door and of course they're shallower.

The solebar for an SPA is also shallower than the OCA and it also angles downwards at the ends to meet the SPA headstock.

Thanks for the info folks, I shall try a dry run and see what happens as I'm getting ever so confused not being a modern-ish wagon kinda guy! Don't quite know why I bought it / where it came from but I'm sure it can become something I can practise building and painting etc on. 

Ralf