Livery

jazz

Hi. Not being a livery expert could I ask those that are, in early 1950's would a 6 wheel non passenger full brake coach be seen in    a) GWR chocolate/cream.     b) dark maroon.      c) all over chocolate.

Thank you in advance.  Ken

Edited by jazz

Hi. Not being a livery expert could I ask those that are, in early 1950's would a 6 wheel non passenger full brake coach be seen in    a) GWR chocolate/cream.     b) dark maroon.      c) all over chocolate.

Thank you in advance.  Ken

I think - though I'm happy to be corrected on this - that it would be in all-over crimson. However, non-passenger stock wasn't exactly a priority for repainting, so in the early 1950s it might well still be wearing shabby Grouping era colours.

• RMweb Gold

I model a South Wales BLT in the 1948-58 time frame precisely because of the variety of liveries that can be justifiably included.  I have liveries from 1942 shirtbutton choc/cream, through austerity 1942-5 brown, 1945-8 choc/cream, 1948 choc/cream with BR sans serif numbers, 1948-56 crimson and crimson/cream, and 1956+ lined maroon on passenger and NPCCS, not to mention NPCCS in late LNER and Southern 'sunshine' liveries.  This is reflected in locomotive and freight stock liveries.

It is important to remember that liveries did not change overnight when a new one was introduced; in doze daze when money was not spent on branding as it is nowadaze, the new liveries were not applied until the vehicle had an overhaul of the grade that justified a trip to the paint shops.  Some missed out on some livery changes all together.  

An NPCCS vehicle that had been just built or recently repainted in the early 1950s would be in crimson, but I have to agree with Miss Prism that ex GW 6 wheelers were in departmental liveries by then.  I cannot endorse Honest Tom's idea that pre-grouping liveries could still be seen in the early 50s on anything, though, however shabby.  Plenty of pre-group stock still around, of course, but any still in a pre 1923 livery would be very rare!  

Cue avalanche of photographic evidence proving me wrong...

If you want a 6-wheel full brake parcels van, an ex-LMS Stove R might be a contender - I don't know how widespread they got in BR service (an earlier thread indicates that the southern region used them), but some survived until the early 70s. BR maroon would be the most likely livery. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105097-ex-lms-stove-r/

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the replies.  I will probably make it a department coach in crimson or brown.

If Departmental, either final traffic livery renumbered / lettered, or black with straw yellow lettering / numbering.

• RMweb Gold

If you want a 6-wheel full brake parcels van, an ex-LMS Stove R might be a contender - I don't know how widespread they got in BR service (an earlier thread indicates that the southern region used them), but some survived until the early 70s. BR maroon would be the most likely livery. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105097-ex-lms-stove-r/

NPCCS, in general and other than circuit worked vehicles, got about everywhere fairly rapidly after nationalisation, and continued to do so until the withdrawal of whatever type it was.  LMS Stove BZ 6 wheelers tended to gravitate to duties on which their stove heating was needed, but by no means exclusively and could be seen in pool traffic, as could the Thompson LNER BZs, and the Southern BYs, 4 wheelers available from Hornby.

NPCCS, in general and other than circuit worked vehicles, got about everywhere fairly rapidly after nationalisation, and continued to do so until the withdrawal of whatever type it was.  LMS Stove BZ 6 wheelers tended to gravitate to duties on which their stove heating was needed, but by no means exclusively and could be seen in pool traffic, as could the Thompson LNER BZs, and the Southern BYs, 4 wheelers available from Hornby.

Thanks for that info.  I already purchased a 7mm scale GWR 6 wheel passenger luggage full brake. I was just enquiring about the correct livery. Looks I just need to decide on full brown or full crimson. The latter appears look look the most attractive. 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that info.  I already purchased a 7mm scale GWR 6 wheel passenger luggage full brake. I was just enquiring about the correct livery. Looks I just need to decide on full brown or full crimson. The latter appears look look the most attractive. 

I'd agree, but am not sure that any GW 6 wheeler of this sort survived to carry any BR livery.  The LMS and LNER BZs and Southern BYs all lasted long enough in service to carry blue corporate livery.