One-plank wagon + BD container?

spikey

Whenever I think back to a BD container on a wagon in the late 50s early 60s, I picture a Conflat A.  But I'm sure I also saw some on one-plank wagons.  Could that have been so?  Reason I ask is I've aquired a few BDs so I'm now on the lookout for suitable wagons, and one-planks seem to be more plentiful secondhand pre-owned than Conflats.

• RMweb Gold

Lowfits carried markings specifically forbidding their use in carrying containers, which were only very occasionally flouted.

Bachmann recently did a pair of Conflats without containers which might be worth looking out for if you need several.

John

...Problem is, Bachmann BD containers don't fit into Bachmann 5-plank wagons ...

That's because they aren't models of general merchandise opens (GMO). Among RTR models they will fit inside Bach's high steel (a common choice for this purpose) and Hornby's old (ex-Airfix) five plank GMO models; and probably the Oxford LNER six plank GMO but I haven't tried that.

It would depend if the doors could be opened to allow the container to be unloaded on the wagon, or if the available crane had the clearance to lift the container clear of the sides. I'm sure there were formal rules about what was allowed.

Jon

The idea of putting the container in a high or medium is so the doors can not be opened and was used for high value loads!

Mark Saunders

Sorry, but I have to ask ... chain pockets?  How did that work, exactly?  I remember seeing the wagons, but I don't ever remember seeing anything secured by chains in one.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed.  Problem is, Bachmann BD containers don't fit into Bachmann 5-plank wagons ...

Indeed, because Bachmann 5-planks are ex-PO types on 9' underframes. 

Try the 3-plank wagon and the ex-LNER steel body highfit. The BD definitely goes into the former (I think Bachmann have done so themselves) but I'm not sure about the other one. 

John

Sorry, but I have to ask ... chain pockets?  How did that work, exactly?  I remember seeing the wagons, but I don't ever remember seeing anything secured by chains in one.

I've no idea how they worked in practise, but the pockets are the circular things.

These wagons were produced with numerous varations, one of which is reflected in one of our wagons which has chain pockets, evident from the dimples that adorn the sides of the wagon body whereas the other two wagons have flush sides. Chain pockets were provided as anchor points for chains and ropes etc which would have been used to secure large or abnormal loads.

https://Bachmann-collectorsclub.co.uk/products/past-products/zgv-open-wagon-set.html

Jason

OK, so I now know what's what with the wagons, but I'm really intrigued about the chain pockets.  I imagine the depression has a bar across the diameter to which a chain can be attached, but was that for securing a BD container or what?

There is a photo in one of my wagon books of a container in a steel high wagon. I have not checked to see whether a Bachmann container will fit into a Bachmann steel high. For obvious reasons, the model's sides and ends can be a little thicker than scale, which may be just enough to prevent the container going in neatly.

• RMweb Gold

In spite of the prohibition on lowfits carrying containers I'm fairly sure a photo was once posted on RMWeb of exactly that. Don't ask me to find it or provide a link though :D.

It definitely did happen occasionally, and I recall seeing two or three pictures, including the one you mention. 

Presumably, if a container had to be moved and there was nothing more suitable available, needs must.

The prohibition reflected the difficulty of attaching containers securely to such wagons using rope and will almost certainly have arisen from instances of them coming loose in earlier times. A loaded container weighing several tons would easily stretch ropes if it shifted, hence the provision of steel shackles on wagons designed for carrying them.

However, anything that's exceptional on the prototype should be rare in model form, too, so it's best not to portray it more than once on the same layout.  

John