Manning Wardle replacement in 009

swsjames

The replacement for my failed Manning Wardle “Yeo” arrived on Saturday. The pony trucks have been redesigned with hair springs to centre them after a curve. Sadly, the running is even worse than the first version on my layout, which is based on Peco 12” pointwork. It shorts on encountering every point, even my one 18” radius point. Makes a lovely item in a static diorama but any movement is precluded. It looks as if my L&B layout will have to continue to be powered by my Bachmann 4-6-0 Baldwin, which runs perfectly over all my track work.

Have any others got the new version MWs to run on Peco pointwork? My concern is that I had to remove the pony trucks to install the DCC chip (turned out to be a pig of a job) and I worry I might have reassembled the loco incorrectly.

The replacement for my failed Manning Wardle “Yeo” arrived on Saturday. The pony trucks have been redesigned with hair springs to centre them after a curve. Sadly, the running is even worse than the first version on my layout, which is based on Peco 12” pointwork. It shorts on encountering every point, even my one 18” radius point. Makes a lovely item in a static diorama but any movement is precluded. It looks as if my L&B layout will have to continue to be powered by my Bachmann 4-6-0 Baldwin, which runs perfectly over all my track work.

Have any others got the new version MWs to run on Peco pointwork? My concern is that I had to remove the pony trucks to install the DCC chip (turned out to be a pig of a job) and I worry I might have reassembled the loco incorrectly.

If  you  refer  to  the  'other forum' posts  re  the   'New' MW  you will find  loads  of  recent  info

I  had  one delivered last  week  Coupling  rod became detached  which  was  a  change  from valve  gear failure  on  my  Three mark one  examples.

No experience with the latest RTR models but ran both 009, H0m and 0-16.5 stock two weekends ago and must say was quite disappointed with the 009 items along with 0-16.5 on cheap 00 chassis, Those 0-16.5 on decent chassis with quality motors are in a different class. The H0m ran faultlessly until the chip failed, which is now removed and again is a silky smooth operator

I do have a coreless motor upgrade for a Roco loco, which I bought s/h and had connectivity issues between the pickups and motor. but I have a feeling using such small wheelsets in tiny chassis has drawbacks, unless the chassis are properly engineered