J P Models - more radio controlled vehicles in 1:76 scale

Pikey

Well its been a while!

Mobile excavator, might have been worth a topic all by itself, but I've nearly finished it now so its too late for that.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ALGKTDDJE/mobilbagger-1-87-rc?li=shareProduct

I'd been meaning to tackle one of these for years, but the control methods I'd previously seen were somewhat clumsy, and it was only when this kit arrived on the scene that I finally decided to take the plunge. I've put together kits before (the Das87 4WD LandRover you may have seen on Luke Towan's youtube channel) but they always seem to have brass components which never fit together properly without hours of work, so I was a little worried that this might just be a load of money wasted. And it is a LOAD of money: the kit looks like its £53 on Shapeways, but you have to buy an additional 38t gear which is another £6, then VAT is added, plus processing and extortionate shipping costs, so in the end it comes out at about £100. Then you need £120 worth of motors, gears and bearings. Then you need a receiver and 2 separate ESCs (another £75) plus some other stuff like a steering axle, battery, servo, flashing LED light. And you need to buy the model to convert as well, which in my case was £45 by itself.

So total cost runs to something like £350 😬

Mind you, it is a very good kit, with useful instructions, albeit in German, so still takes a bit of lateral thinking to understand what to do even after it's been translated. Even better now you can get it printed in the self-coloured tan resin rather than mine which was clear and needed to be primed and painted, and on the last bit of the digger arm the paint has really suffered just with handling it to install the bucket motor transmission.

I've enjoyed making it, and while it definitely is NOT for beginners, it is perfectly attainable if you're really careful and patient. I'll post a video of it working shortly, but for now here are a few build pics:

Drive motor and steering axle:

IMG_6396.jpg.de716e28fa6383e9deb8c99fc8e0289f.jpg

Slew motor on top of completed chassis:

IMG_9161.jpg.9dfa63e9ee00174789629f54fff342e7.jpg

Slew motor/base inserted into model:

IMG_9166.jpg.e6d4bd5f244de881c1e7169011c4b5e0.jpg

RX and one of the ESCs installed:

IMG_9272.jpg.e0a405f27482f73fcbd45d0be7d07f70.jpg

both ESCs, cab with flashing light and battery installed:

IMG_9619.jpg.b157d32c724edba50ebdad7d8670f0a4.jpg

Digger arm with rotating cylinders:

IMG_9590.jpg.3b893be1eac9b003d52ed365138a4288.jpg

The finished article:

IMG_9976.jpg.ad919b020709a9a36ed7198f5be7887b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

It looks nicely designed.....!

I have found that my go-to 6mm 100rpm gearmotors have completely disappeared from everywhere, and there are many fewer of the remaining ratios available as well. Its certaiworth stocking up if you haven't already!

• Like 1

That's an impressive kit and build. Well done. I have seen it on shapeways. But it's not my era. Is this one all gears, worms and lead screws.  Or does it have any of the functions powered by winch driven fishing line? I've seen that type of drive on a number of the excavators on YouTube and I'm interested to know what the subtleties of implementation they might use.

But the direct drive via lead screws looks more robust

• Like 1

The arm is all 4mm motors with screws on, driving an intermediate shaft with a z12 and another screw, driving the output shaft which has another z12 and the cylinder on the end. The cylinder rotates and there’s an M1 nut in the end which drives up and down a threaded rod to produce the motion. It’s a good design, everything’s nicely hidden

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Barring a few minor issues, the digger worked very well for two days at Redditch exhibition, and we won 'Best Layout' as voted for by the public as well, which was nice 😀

We did get a lot of weird radio gremlins, whereby models would become non-responsive for anything from 1 to maybe 15 seconds - continuing with whatever functions were operating at the time, so continuing to drive when the throttle is released, for example (!) The problem did appear to be worse when both Jumper T-Pro controllers were switched on, but the bus I've just finished seemed to do it all the time and other models appeared unaffected. Has anyone else experienced this?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Do you have the selects function enabled (intentionally or otherwise)

And if so, is the transmitter setup for it too.

There is a mode, at least on some receiver's, where the reciever will continue with whatever it was doing when selecta is changed to another 'notch', until it switches back. I think deltang referred to it as cruise control or something similar.

So if the selecta is drifting off the relevant output setting you could loose control.

Not sure why that would interact differently with multiple transmitters though.

Either way. Congratulations on winning best layout.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 14/09/2023 at 16:36, Pikey said:

I've got A Remote Depot out in preparation for Redditch show this weekend, so I thought I'd film a proper video with it in the correct location.

I also had two of the controls reversed (had the main arm on the left stick and the dipper on the right stick, which is the wrong way round) - needed to look back over an old GoPro video I took when we hired a mini digger to see how the controls should be, and now that I've swapped them over it feels so much more intuitive to operate 🙂

That's stunning. Everything was so rock steady I though the Cat was mounted on the board until seeing the last seconds.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

22 hours ago, otherplanet said:

Do you have the selecta function enabled (intentionally or otherwise)

I don't think that's what's happening. When the model becomes unresponsive, the led on the receiver is on, and I think its supposed to flash when it's told to be inactive via the selecta function. But it's a good idea, I'll check anyway.

• Like 1

Very kind comments, but anyone who can drive a digger can drive one of these - the controls are exactly the same. :-)

At the same show, we also premiered my conversion of an Oxford Diecast car transporter, which can deliver up to 8 of the Turbo Racing minis (we only have 3). My ultimate plan is to convert various Land Rover / Range Rover models, and deliver up to probably 6 of them to the JLR dealership on the layout. The Evoque on the lower deck at the front of the truck is glued in place, partially as I didn't think it was worth motorising the additional piece of floor I'd need to access this position, and also because it meant I could use a bigger battery which is being hidden behind the cab.

Its operation is not quite prototypical, as real ones can lower the front of the upper deck as well. I have compromised by fixing this point and only being able to lower the rear part, as it makes the mechanism far simpler - a motor winds in a fishing line which pulls the front bit of the upper deck downwards, gravity pulls the deck down when you wind the line out. The rear ramps are simply mounted to a nut and constrained so they can't rotate, a motor turns the threaded rod which makes the ramps move. The rest is just normal driving motor mounted underneath, and steering servo mounted inside the cab with the receiver. It has no lights for now (Oxford's Scania cab moulding has painted bits for lights rather than actual light lenses, so they wouldn't look amazing), but when I get the Land Rovers done I might include hazard lights for when I park it on the road, getting in everyone's way like the real ones do 🙂

Other improvements I made included cutting off the quite poor moulded wheel holders and made new ones of these out of 0.4mm brass, and I've also cut off the handrails which were massively thick and looked silly - these have been replaced with much finer wire.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Giles and otherplanet - I've worked out (well, found out, almost by accident) what was wrong. All of my other models have the protocol set to:

Type: DSM

Subtype: 2 1F

Ch. Range: 1-6

The problem ones which showed weird behaviour (two buses and the truck I'm doing for Manchester Model Railway Club) had this set to channels 1-12. As soon as I changed this setting to 1-6 the models respond as normal!

Edited by Pikey
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Pikey said:

At the same show, we also premiered my conversion of an Oxford Diecast car transporter, which can deliver up to 8 of the Turbo Racing minis (we only have 3). ....

Is anyone else thinking could use the inside of a 7 inch drain pipe, and humming "The Self Preservation Society"....  

• Funny 1

17 hours ago, Pikey said:

Very kind comments, but anyone who can drive a digger can drive one of these - the controls are exactly the same. :-)

At the same show, we also premiered my conversion of an Oxford Diecast car transporter, which can deliver up to 8 of the Turbo Racing minis (we only have 3). My ultimate plan is to convert various Land Rover / Range Rover models, and deliver up to probably 6 of them to the JLR dealership on the layout. The Evoque on the lower deck at the front of the truck is glued in place, partially as I didn't think it was worth motorising the additional piece of floor I'd need to access this position, and also because it meant I could use a bigger battery which is being hidden behind the cab.

Its operation is not quite prototypical, as real ones can lower the front of the upper deck as well. I have compromised by fixing this point and only being able to lower the rear part, as it makes the mechanism far simpler - a motor winds in a fishing line which pulls the front bit of the upper deck downwards, gravity pulls the deck down when you wind the line out. The rear ramps are simply mounted to a nut and constrained so they can't rotate, a motor turns the threaded rod which makes the ramps move. The rest is just normal driving motor mounted underneath, and steering servo mounted inside the cab with the receiver. It has no lights for now (Oxford's Scania cab moulding has painted bits for lights rather than actual light lenses, so they wouldn't look amazing), but when I get the Land Rovers done I might include hazard lights for when I park it on the road, getting in everyone's way like the real ones do 🙂

Other improvements I made included cutting off the quite poor moulded wheel holders and made new ones of these out of 0.4mm brass, and I've also cut off the handrails which were massively thick and looked silly - these have been replaced with much finer wire.

That's really nice work. Hats off to you.

And we'll done for finding that problem on the buses. That is a good trip to keep an eye out for.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Brilliant stuff, I saw this at Cheltenham last year and was really impressed.

Actually you saw the previous version of the layout - we completely built a new one from scratch over the winter 🙂

• Like 2