The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

To absent friends at Christmas

Dick Turpin

It has been a lovely afternoon, what with the mild temperatures, sunshine and clear blue sky, that I found myself gazing out at the buildings and landscape from our window, and found that my thoughts drifted round to Christmases past, from childhood to times more recent, particularly regarding family, but also of times more recent involving friends and memories I now cherish. I remember many happy times of Christmases past involving my father and mother, both of whom have been gone now for 30 years, (how time passes), and also times with friends and relatives also sadly no longer with us. It is at this time of year, especially, that we remember those people that made an impression on us, and make us glad of the memories we have, and possibly times that have helped make us who we are.

So raise a glass or just recall and be joyful and remember those we have been fortunate enough to have known, in the knowledge that we are better people for their influence on our lives and experience.  Merry Christmas.

Please feel free to post memories of and celebrations of anyone who is in your heart at the moment. I am particularly thinking of Allan Downes and his amazing achievements in architectural modelling - such a big part pf my childhood!

• Like 2

I'll second that - I miss the Christmasses from many years ago with Mum, Dad, my sister and two brothers. Always happy times.

I don't miss Christmases on call with the Gas Board locating & repairing gas escapes on Christmas day, once in a service tunnel underneath the Manchester Ship Canal - Cold dark wet & bl**dy dangerous (young & daft in those pre elf'n'safety days)  !!

And with that I'll raise a glass to all those working over the next couple of days.

Happy Christmas everyone.

Brit15

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I will raise a glass to all of those RMweb members no longer with us.

Often they have only drifted away but many leave us more permanently and we never find out about it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I don't miss Christmases on call with the Gas Board locating & repairing gas escapes on Christmas day,

Not being a fan of the festive season I used to love christmases on call, lump payment for the day, payment for each call out, double time and a day off in lieu, and usually a easy day because nobody wnted a gasman clumping round the house and a danger of having no gas supply. One year I temporarily repaired an Ascot water heater 4 times!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

It has been a lovely afternoon, what with the mild temperatures, sunshine and clear blue sky, that I found myself gazing out at the buildings and landscape from our window, and found that my thoughts drifted round to Christmases past, from childhood to times more recent, particularly regarding family, but also of times more recent involving friends and memories I now cherish. I remember many happy times of Christmases past involving my father and mother, both of whom have been gone now for 30 years, (how time passes), and also times with friends and relatives also sadly no longer with us. It is at this time of year, especially, that we remember those people that made an impression on us, and make us glad of the memories we have, and possibly times that have helped make us who we are.

So raise a glass or just recall and be joyful and remember those we have been fortunate enough to have known, in the knowledge that we are better people for their influence on our lives and experience.  Merry Christmas.

Please feel free to post memories of and celebrations of anyone who is in your heart at the moment. I am particularly thinking of Allan Downes and his amazing achievements in architectural modelling - such a big part pf my childhood!

What a lovely post. Completely agree . Thinking of my Mum and Dad who we lost in the last three years . They gave us great memories and made us who we are. Forever grateful. Now we have to make memories for the younger generation and make it special.

I’ll raise a glass to lost family and friends.

• Like 4

At this time of year I find myself in a reflective mood quite frequently. We lost dad on New Year's Eve 15 years ago.  We miss him. He was special to us all year round but there are so may things on the TV and in the wider media at this time that trigger thoughts and memories and the loss is felt more keenly. 

He was a Shropshire lad and on New Year's Eve  we shall remember and raise a toast to him with a  pint of Shropshire Lad.

When someone is gone from this world and our lives, we move on, but we don't forget.

Andy