Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

28 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Two too much  - I can imagine the smile.

Cheers Ray

Yeah I don’t know why but it would not run well with two motors but runs fine with one?  I just disconnected the power feeds and removed the coglets (saved for another day).

Problem is now I have one three car totally unpowered unit which means I need to buy a dummy car unit so that I can fix the power unit and exchange the dummy one when I want to run two separate DMU’s.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes mate you need to stick das to whatever you're putting it on as it won't stick to it by itself very well and shrinks as it dries. Have you thought of using milliput instead of DAS? To be honest I'm not sure that they make it any more. The problem I have is there are next to no model shops left in London. Not where I am anyway. I'll have a look on ebay and see if it's still available.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lezz01 said:

Yes mate you need to stick das to whatever you're putting it on as it won't stick to it by itself very well and shrinks as it dries. Have you thought of using milliput instead of DAS? To be honest I'm not sure that they make it any more. The problem I have is there are next to no model shops left in London. Not where I am anyway. I'll have a look on ebay and see if it's still available.

Regards Lez. 

Yeah I definitely should have used pva.  I think milliput is still made, I’ve got quite abit upstairs.  

It it doesn’t help that the loft fluctuates in temperature 

• RMweb Gold

I'm happy to say milliput is still available. 

Let's not get into the loft issues, I have definite views about lofts. Car body filler is good as well but you have to be quick with it and you need to do careful prep coz it's really hard to work once it's set, sanding is about the best option.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1

The Irishman to Glasgow has a heavy load tonight so the CL5 is being piloted as far as Girvan by a 2P.  These  piloted workings appear quite common from the literature I am consuming! 

The 6MT needs no pilot.  It will haul the N.Irishman to Carlisle where’s 7MT  Britannia will run onwards to Euston 

CD889BFD-76A6-412E-AA0D-28C8D16B09B7.jpeg

BD3A3D1F-7B50-4561-9ABA-AEDB0F0DC496.jpeg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, danstercivicman said:

Do you think I should chop the concrete blocks off the Bachmann yard lamps and mount directly into the ground? 

What do the prototypes look like?  Did the full size lamps have concrete plinths?  I have removed all the metal bases from my Hornby signals and the concrete blocks from my Ratio loading gauges and planted them directly into the base boards.

Cheers Ray

2 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

What do the prototypes look like?  Did the full size lamps have concrete plinths?  I have removed all the metal bases from my Hornby signals and the concrete blocks from my Ratio loading gauges and planted them directly into the base boards.

Cheers Ray

Not sure really.  I can’t find any close ups.  They just seem abit intrusive? 

The 2P is a star!  More fire irons have been ordered and yes she should be running XP lamps...

• RMweb Gold

I would set them into the ground cover rather than chopping them off mate. With the house, back scene buildings always look odd but you can mitigate it a bit by showing them corner on to the angle that you view them from most often. There is a way to make a street view back scene look convincing no matter what angle you view them from but you need a definite common vanishing point and it won't work on a single building. I'll give you an outline on how to do it if you really want to know how it's done but as I say it won't work on a single building. It's an art technique that isn't an original thought by me but as I said you need a definite vanishing point down a street.   

Regards Lez.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lezz01 said:

I would set them into the ground cover rather than chopping them off mate. With the house, back scene buildings always look odd but you can mitigate it a bit by showing them corner on to the angle that you view them from most often. There is a way to make a street view back scene look convincing no matter what angle you view them from but you need a definite common vanishing point and it won't work on a single building. I'll give you an outline on how to do it if you really want to know how it's done but as I say it won't work on a single building. It's an art technique that isn't an original thought by me but as I said you need a definite vanishing point down a street.   

Regards Lez.

Yes please that would be helpful 

• RMweb Gold

Ok here goes nothing. This will only work for a view down a street or alley way that is at 90 degrees to the backscene. You have to create an illusion of depth by bringing the far point of the view OUT of the backscene, it relies on the perspective being symmetrical and you have to be pinpoint accurate or it doesn't work. This is totally counter intuitive and I'm not sure I can explain it in words at all, as I said here goes nothing. 

Start by defining the end of the buildings on either side of the street, Once you have that fixed you set the vanishing point in the center of the "street" and draw a box around the vanishing point. This will be the far end of the street the size of which is determined by the length of the street. The best way to do this is by drawing diagonal lines from the top and bottom point of the vertical line of the buildings either side of the street to the vanishing point. This box will have to be built out of the backscene a couple of inches. Then what you do is join the edges of the far point of the view  to the edges of the end of the buildings either side of the street with panels on which you draw the fronts of the houses on the sides, the street at the bottom and the sky on the top, receding into the distance but they are in fact projecting out from the back scene towards you to the edges of the raised panel forming a truncated pyramid with the far end of the street on the top of the protruding box. This will give you the illusion of depth that retains the correct perspective no matter what angle you look at it from as you move from left to right along your layout and vice verser. I hope you get the general idea of what I'm getting at here because I'm struggling to draw this in a way that illustrates this in 2 dimensions and short of building it and taking pics I'm finding it difficult to explain the concept in words as well. 

Regards Lez.         

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys.

To try and illustrate what I was waffling on about in my earlier post I have tried to draw it for you.

The first sketch is what you are aiming for, It's very rough mind I don't claim to be Michelangelo. 

Perspective0001.jpg.f980112b45c49220dee5119c78b6eaf6.jpg

The second sketch is your starting point the inner box protrudes out from the backscene and the "wings" go back to the backscene. As I said it's a truncated pyramid.

Perspective0002.jpg.53020c2ccceeb4ade9a39a595d033789.jpg  I hope this makes it a bit clearer.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1