Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

9 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Hi guys.

To try and illustrate what I was waffling on about in my earlier post I have tried to draw it for you.

The first sketch is what you are aiming for, It's very rough mind I don't claim to be Michelangelo. 

Perspective0001.jpg.f980112b45c49220dee5119c78b6eaf6.jpg

The second sketch is your starting point the inner box protrudes out from the backscene and the "wings" go back to the backscene. As I said it's a truncated pyramid.

Perspective0002.jpg.53020c2ccceeb4ade9a39a595d033789.jpg  I hope this makes it a bit clearer.

Regards Lez.

I guess I could give the bridge entrance area a 3D depth look using this idea.  I’d have to rebuild it like a double skinned ship wall- the houses in the foreground, gap then the back scene set a couple of inches back  

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the kind compliment. I go with the philosophy that knowledge not shared is knowledge lost.   

Yes you're right this does take a fair bit of planning but then that's true for almost every aspect of railway modeling. Although I tend to let things evolve on my layouts. No plan, no matter how detailed, survives first contact with the base board. In fact the more detailed a plan is the less of it survives in reality so I tend to go with a general overall idea and then it all evolves from there. One of my pet hates is badly rendered backscenes, there have been far too many of them in the model railway press of late and many an otherwise great layout has been ruined with a bad backscene. I have to say that Andy P, of this parish, is an absolute wizard at rural backscenes, producing some of the best I've seen. He will be the first to tell you that he considers himself to be totally paints at urban grot. I disagree with him on this and have said that he just need a little more practice but he won't have it. 

As you said it does require a good deal of planing and this method has it's limitations. For instance, you can't repeat this method on the other side of the terrace ends. You have to hide the other edge of the buildings on either side or it not only fails it draws the eye towards that failure. So you have to hide the other edge of the buildings and also the adjacent terrace's edge as well but you can then repeat the trick again on either side. This method is something I saw on an art program and I thought "that's the very jobbie for me", It is all encompassed by the French term "Trompe-l'œil" or trick of the eye in english and is often used to represent wood paneling, although in that case it is completely flat and doesn't protrude from the wall as this method does. Another example is the ceiling of Waverly station in Edinburgh which looks from ground level to be finely molded 3D plaster but is in fact just wall paper. I urge everyone to watch "Escape to the Chateau DIY" on channel 4, you can pick up some really useful tips on just about everything.

My strength is my ability to think outside the box and then execute whatever it is I'm doing to the best of my ability. I can't even begin to tell you how many models have gone in the bin before I'm happy with something and even then the comment "yes it's very nice but what is is supposed to be?" really really stings.

Regards Lez.

• Like 4

The final trains of the night.

The Hunslet sorts a fitted freight.

It will be hauled by a ‘Mogul’.  They were very common in the area.  I do like them and they run great :) 

The ex-works 2P hauls the final passenger working of a busy summer day! 

It it should be well into dusk now but I’ve not figured out how to do that...

498D1FD1-5A07-431E-B909-13D67916DD79.jpeg

18E5F7BA-DC54-4652-856A-D5D6FB7DBBFB.jpeg

3A8471D7-682E-48C1-99AA-9ECCF3E52BAA.jpeg

AB683A27-C0C2-4EB6-8264-ED5B7949F17A.jpeg

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Like 4

The two Moguls leave:

42789 on Parcels to Carlisle

42919 on the night freight to Dumfries

The station is empty now, the Boat Train passengers (from Glasgow) settle down as best they can. 

The scene will soon reverberate to the sound of the Down N.Irishman which at the minute will be somewhere north of the Midlands on its way to Carlisle where the 7MT Britannia will hand over to a Kingmoor Clan or Jubilee! 

AD37A142-C2C1-4E1E-95AF-F77F7BEBC20C.jpeg

66D7DE6D-282C-45C4-BE25-5B5137E31DC4.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well you can do it just as effectively with brushes mate. I have two airbrushes and I've never even got them dirty. Mind you I haven't done any weathering for over 20 years now. Last thing I weathered was a big rake of 16 and 24 tonners for a mates layout. I think it was around 40 of them. I was sick of rust and unfitted grey by the time I was done.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Well you can do it just as effectively with brushes mate. I have two airbrushes and I've never even got them dirty. Mind you I haven't done any weathering for over 20 years now. Last thing I weathered was a big rake of 16 and 24 tonners for a mates layout. I think it was around 40 of them. I was sick of rust and unfitted grey by the time I was done.

Regards Lez.

All my loco weathering is by brush.  It’s ok but the airbrush just gives a slightly smoother coating!  They are annoying to clean that’s the only issue. 

I really need to fit lights to my layout, especially the station and some of the night trains. 

I think it it would look very effective with the lights off and the station lit! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Regards Lez.

Try building and painting 40 Airfix kit 16 tonners for a club layout, with scale instanter couplings; for further information apply to the gibbering heap in the corner...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yep that's what they were. Well a mix of Airfix and Parkside in P4 with scale couplings and rocking W irons. I didn't have to build them but I did paint them. I do have quite a collection to build myself once I get around to it. Not in P4 thank heavens although I may go with AJ couplings but not the rocking W irons. I did them in batches of 5 wagons at a time. I used silicon sealant over the rust and grey over the top of that then Rubbed the sealant off leaving the rust and then went from there. MEK is really good for cracking the paint then fresh rust runs down from the rust patches. I really rather enjoyed myself actually. I used lot's of pics to see how they rust in real life and every one was different. All good fun.

Regards Lez.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Anyone got any advice on lighting systems? 

I Need to think about:

1) 2x yard lamps

2) 6x station lamps

3) 2x rear yard lamps (pier end)

Trainwise (all mine are DC)

Clan XP lamps

Jubilee XP lamps

5MT freight lamps 

Mogul freight lamps

2P local lamp

N.Irishman needs 6x coach lights

DMU to be lit

Local service to be lit

Brake van rear lamp 

The rest of my stock is ok as it’s pretty much daytime and the other takes of coaches would leave at 21:30 so dusk time 

This is the kinda lighting effect I’m thinking (but with some dimly lit carriages and two flickering XP lamps) oh and a tail lamp...

It’s a new day and the Harbour Station reverberates to the sound of a Clan bringing in the Down N.Irishman.  The sleeper passengers will have another hour in their beds, although the sound of shunting and the commotion of loading the ferry will make it hard to sleep on...

05:35 am a few minutes late due to a PW slack but otherwise a good run from Carlisle.  The Clan has been mastered and is steaming well :) 

I might need to move the ‘ sun’ as it may not be prototypical but it’s an idea. 

Now or how to recreate the chill of an early summer dawn...

12BFFF39-7F7A-4603-921C-34396E152C32.jpeg

2E5D4E64-874C-4FF4-B976-E750C33E073E.jpeg

2764B57D-C000-4FD3-A327-25B24F0CBFF4.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A quick visit to Stranraer tonight...

I’ve started to build the dockside.

Wood filler on the exposed screw heads (should have done that ages ago).

Some services ran as well and I had Coastal sounds playing in the background-very atmospheric! 

24EABD7E-1D7F-4FB8-B22B-EA1F9017E2CE.jpeg

9F7B6940-B7C1-497B-BD2B-108CC9330299.jpeg

8A99D34A-E2EB-4274-83EA-E792A6C274DF.jpeg

64202E45-744E-4988-97A7-611682E5560C.jpeg

• Like 7