Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

Another coat of yacht varnish...

So much to do in the layout-in fact far too much so I decided to have the 21:30 Saturday Boat Train with through coaches to Newcastle depart.

A Vauxhall Wyvern has arrived.

I do like the STD 5MT’s!

The lamp hut has come adrift from its place so I will look at that later. 

3FE0BC8D-2DC5-4D1F-89E2-9BEE34D5C9A2.jpeg

E3F96675-2050-4176-ABDB-9D886EF8CD1D.jpeg

8A94C14A-0645-46BB-B8E8-1476133978FD.jpeg

36A60B13-CEFA-4EC1-AB65-2BDF148F9C0E.jpeg

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Like 4

A short trip to Stranraer tonight.

I’ve got a new paint- off white.  I’m using it for the buffers and then I’ll redo the loco lamps with it.

Was going to do more but ended up taking the Irishman DMU for a spin.  

Then the UP N.Irishman departed.

That allowed the Hunslet to shunt the fish empties which allowed the Crab to be released.  

9AD61186-145A-4E41-BFE7-EE775CD95337.jpeg

43A1FDA9-61C5-4BE5-9FA8-380974A0ABE3.jpeg

70229F9E-99FA-4A07-B3CA-EDCDD5FA116D.jpeg

9F335039-DC3D-46BF-ACE1-2536FF4B282F.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Strewth!!! That sea water isn't toilet paper is it?  B****y H**l, you could have sold that at £1 a sheet on any street corner, provided the boys in blue didn't find some reason to arrest you.

• Funny 1

45588, 45629, 45718, 45727, 45731 and 45738 all worked over the Port Road at least once (based on photographic evidence). 45691, 45743 and 45704 all got to Stranraer and were photographed on shed, route unknown. Apart from 45588 I think all the others were long firebox (old Bachmann) locos. 

But, as mentioned, any Kingmoor or Corkerhill Jubillee is probably fair game ! 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I just love what you are doing, and like to see your photos. It seems to me that if this extra long train and double heading is frequent then (to avoid a massive SPAD before the train has even pulled away) you perhaps need to move that starter to the right of the signal box and probably half way along the Compund too?

There must have been routine ways that the real BR handled this kind of thing - extra long trains and double heading being a routine summer seaside/ferry port thing.  Presumably something in the instructions and a green flag out of the window after the route has been set and the starter lowered?

1 hour ago, imt said:

I just love what you are doing, and like to see your photos. It seems to me that if this extra long train and double heading is frequent then (to avoid a massive SPAD before the train has even pulled away) you perhaps need to move that starter to the right of the signal box and probably half way along the Compund too?

There must have been routine ways that the real BR handled this kind of thing - extra long trains and double heading being a routine summer seaside/ferry port thing.  Presumably something in the instructions and a green flag out of the window after the route has been set and the starter lowered?

Thank you :)

Its really hard to find any pictures that are not copyrighted. 

Page 215 of the attached book shows both the trains in platform 2 and 3 (farside by signal box) both well forward of the starters.

I wonder whether the token system prevented spads or the drivers just had to turn around to see the signal? 

In the book the train on platform 2 is double headed (2x Stanier 5MT) and is so far forward it’s almost on the crossover and is completely blocking any access to Platform 1! 

Best

EAF504F6-84F8-43E6-9FB3-3391E4AA24A2.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Nothing much special in those days.  Yes a lot more common and driver’s would know to make sure the starting signal was off for them and not for another move.  You’re right about the token though, no special locking, but without the token the driver should not start away and with the token then he (in those days) would know the starter was cleared for him.

More difficult in colour light signalling as the system has to be able to cope.

Interestingly, at Newcastle, there were special instructions about advising the driver to start on a shunt aspect if the loco was too far out after a loco swap.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

Nothing much special in those days.  Yes a lot more common and driver’s would know to make sure the starting signal was off for them and not for another move.  You’re right about the token though, no special locking, but without the token the driver should not start away and with the token then he (in those days) would know the starter was cleared for him.

Interestingly, at Newcastle, there were special instructions about advising the driver to start on a shunt aspect if the loco was too far out after a loco swap.

Paul.

It appears to have been very common at Stranraer esp during the peak season.   I guess that they knew how to keep it safe!  

On 19/03/2020 at 18:40, pH said:

45714 and 45715 were both Kingmoor engines from 1936. 45714 moved to Carnforth in 1961, but 45715 stayed at Kingmoor for one more year, going to Bank Hall in 1962.

Yes I took a photograph of Invincible in Carlisle Citadel.  My Bachmann incarnation is far too pristine.  I have also attached a picture of Orion (with missing cab windows) - again fitted with a later Bachmann mechanism.

5099979513_849eac21fa_z.jpg

39772566494_17b1da6263_5k.jpg

39167257260_2fe8d9d971_5k.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wheatley said:

45588, 45629, 45718, 45727, 45731 and 45738 all worked over the Port Road at least once (based on photographic evidence). 45691, 45743 and 45704 all got to Stranraer and were photographed on shed, route unknown. Apart from 45588 I think all the others were long firebox (old Bachmann) locos. 

But, as mentioned, any Kingmoor or Corkerhill Jubillee is probably fair game ! 

45629 was short firebox, too.

Apart from Kingmoor or Corkerhill Jubilees, during the war a Crewe North Jubilee would regularly work into Stranraer on the down 'Paddy', work to Glasgow and back during the day, then work the up 'Paddy' the next night. A bit too early for Danstercivicman, but perhaps of interest to Bochi at Newton Stewart!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Paul.

Many years ago I was working Horsted Keynes box. I took the staff out, pulled off the Down Starter and as I was going down the steps watched the driver take off like a bat out of hell without the staff (some folk might guess from that who it was...). I ran back up, put the Down Advanced Starter back and waved a red flag out of the window. Fortunately the Guard saw it and applied the brake...

• Like 3