The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2019

MarkC

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

On the contrary I think Merc and Renault are in F1 specifically to compare their products publicly to Ferrari, which has a sports cachet second to none worldwide. Honda also gain kudos, and thus sales, if their engines cross the line first. 

Or in Hondas case now, just crossing the line will do.:D

• Agree 1

Confirmation of what was said on C4 earlier today.

'Silly season' - and talk of Verstappen at Mercedes

It's mid-summer, so it's no surprise that F1's traditional driver-market 'silly season' has moved into full swing this weekend.

The hot topic at Red Bull's home track has been the future of Max Verstappen, the state of his contact, and the likelihood of him leaving for greener pastures - most particularly Mercedes.

Verstappen has a contact with Red Bull until 2020, but there is a performance clause that could potentially allow him to be free at the end of this season.

The clause centres on his championship position at a certain point in the year, although the details of what position he needs to be in, and when, are murky.

Anyway, Red Bull motorsport boss Helmut Marko has admitted he is worried that Verstappen might be tempted away by Mercedes.

The prospect of a Hamilton-Verstappen 'super-team' is a mouth-watering one for neutrals, perhaps less so for Wolff. It is far from clear he would want the headache of sticking Verstappen in alongside Hamilton and waiting for the nuclear explosion that would inevitably occur one way or another.

Both drivers were asked about it after qualifying.

Hamilton said: "People are always making up stuff. It's the first I've heard of it. I think the team's pretty happy with Valtteri and me. So I do know Max is definitely interested in opportunities. I don't know. Maybe. If there is [a chance], then great."

Turning to Verstappen, he added: "I don't mind driving with you. I'll drive against whoever."

For his part, Verstappen said: "I guess there's people who know more than me!"

• Like 3

Lando's performance is very encouraging, especially given that he has the "old" engine. And the Williams were not last, albeit die to penalties in one case (both cases?). This season is really starting to get interesting. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 28/06/2019 at 15:53, Oldddudders said:

Vettel seems a bit closer to Lewis after FP1. Austria was Merc's disaster race last year. Could lightning strike twice?

On 28/06/2019 at 16:33, Pete the Elaner said:

You should know better than to judge anything from P1's times.

Yeah, right. 

• Like 4

& as for the Verstappen/LeClerc incident...

Pundits were comparing it to the Hamilton/Vettel incident in Canada, but I think it was totally different.

Vettel was penalised for "re-entering the track in an un-safe manner". Verstappen never left the track. Verstappen took the racing line. If there would have been a barrier on the outside, LeClerc would have backed off & . LeClerc actually conceded the corner well before this point. He entered it wide because Verstappen was already there on the inside.

Sometimes you have to go for things but they don't work out.

There was 1 corner (turn 8 I think) which was a small chicane which it looked like every driver cut on every lap. Why have it there at all if you allow it to be cut all the time?

If they are not going to enforce track limits here, they may as well have asked for the corner to be removed or paint the track limit a bit further out.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I felt Verstappen, a la Senna and Schumacher, was unnecessarily brutal on Leclerc in pushing him out. The best overtaking moves do not involve cars touching, but all three bully-boy drivers I have named thought/think barging was/is part of the deal. This is not a contact sport. Verstappen had the faster car, and he was going to pass. No need to be physical as well - it just demeans. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I felt Verstappen, a la Senna and Schumacher, was unnecessarily brutal on Leclerc in pushing him out. The best overtaking moves do not involve cars touching, but all three bully-boy drivers I have named thought/think barging was/is part of the deal. This is not a contact sport. Verstappen had the faster car, and he was going to pass. No need to be physical as well - it just demeans. 

It would have been well deserved if the boy LeClerc had been able to maintain his lead until the finish, but at the same time it’s hard to begrudge Max after such a strong recovery drive. However, to be picky, it does look as though Max turned the wheel into Charles on the apex of turn three - more than just holding his line and I’m surprised the stewards didn’t take it into account.  Perhaps they’re trying to put the Ferrari favouritism behind them?

Good to see Lando not only bringing his car home in sixth, but mixing with the best on the opening laps, despite having lower performance to trade with.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Only a couple of years ago, Mercedes were struggling through the hottest races.  This weekend could indicate that the situation may prevail again this year.  We seem also to have had last year’s Valtteri Bottas back - a chance to score serious points above Lewis squandered and a fairly tame conceding of position to Max.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The only problem with that thought is that it was Leclerc who turned into Verstappen, not the other way around, so the contact was not Verstappen's fault (as also deemed by the stewards). Yes he was racing hard, but hey, everyone always whinges about no overtaking in F1, so which is it to be.

• Agree 3

11 hours ago, EddieB said:

Only a couple of years ago, Mercedes were struggling through the hottest races.  This weekend could indicate that the situation may prevail again this year.

The cars have to perform across a variety of circuits & conditions.

Cooling was Mercedes achilles heel this weekend. Cooling adds drag but aero has been their strong suit so far this season, so we may see also them struggle in the heat of Abu Dhabi & the altitude of Mexico. I would not be surprised if they are already working on different components to address this though.

I was also surprised by the pundits being surprised that Ferrari was strong this weekend. The Red Bull Ring has 2 very long straights; 1 after the other, so surely this favours a car with a powerful engine & good top speed? This is exactly what the Ferrari has had all year, so this track should have suited them.

• Agree 4

11 hours ago, EddieB said:

It would have been well deserved if the boy LeClerc had been able to maintain his lead until the finish, but at the same time it’s hard to begrudge Max after such a strong recovery drive. However, to be picky, it does look as though Max turned the wheel into Charles on the apex of turn three - more than just holding his line and I’m surprised the stewards didn’t take it into account.  Perhaps they’re trying to put the Ferrari favouritism behind them?

Good to see Lando not only bringing his car home in sixth, but mixing with the best on the opening laps, despite having lower performance to trade with.

If you look just as Verstappen's line out of the corner, you would not wonder why he went so wide. You would simply accept that he took the racing line.

If there was a barrier around the outside of the corner, LeClerc would have backed off, conceding that he lost the turn. He had already been beaten into the corner & was well wide of the apex because Verstappen was there.

I don't blame LeClerc for continuing to battle for the place. He would not be a top driver if he didn't. It was a battle he was never going to win though.

I agree about Lando. He did very well to qualify as high as he did in the first place & he defended well without being dangerous.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Apart from seeing the pair of them wheel to wheel in the wet - so it's a conditional assessment waiting on more information - I think we have the Prost-Senna pairing for the 2020s in Leclerc-Verstappen. Oh for a Shakespeare:

Two racers, both alike in ability,
In F1 hybrids, where we lay our scene,
The fearful passage of their hurtling cars,
Is now the two hours' traffic of our races;
The which if you with patient view attend,
It will not be boring from start to season's end.

Then again, if Norris finds a decent seat, quite possibly a long term three way tussle is in store for our delectation.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Then again, if Norris finds a decent seat, quite possibly a long term three way tussle is in store for our delectation.

Or indeed a four-way tussle, if George Russell is given a competitive car, having finished top of the F2 standings (ahead of Norris and Albon) last year.  Make that five if Esteban Ocon finally gets a look in.

Certainly there's a large pool of talent coming through.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, EddieB said:

Or indeed a four-way tussle, if George Russell is given a competitive car, having finished top of the F2 standings (ahead of Norris and Albon) last year.  Make that five if Esteban Ocon finally gets a look in.

Certainly there's a large pool of talent coming through.

Move over Grosjean, Kubic, Hulkenberg, Stroll, Raikkonen, Gasley, and Kvyat????????

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Whoosh!

Now that was a proper race - plenty of action and intrigue.

Not to mention that the Stewards behaved.

This is what we want please, more!

One other thing, when will Monsieur Gasly get his P.45 at Red Bull?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, iak said:

Whoosh!

Now that was a proper race - plenty of action and intrigue.

Not to mention that the Stewards behaved.

This is what we want please, more!

One other thing, when will Monsieur Gasly get his P.45 at Red Bull?

It's in the post.:laugh:

• Funny 3